Should people dress up for important events?

Events can be important without being formal. The only NT instructions we have about how to dress for church is modestly, with the focus being mainly on not putting on a display of status or wealth. Paul in effect is telling the wealthier members NOT to wear their best clothes.

Who gets to define exactly what "dressing up" is?

To someone who has very little money, a good pair of jeans (or khakis) and a nice polo shirt could be considered "dressing up."

And where do you draw the line as in regards to dressing up? If wearing a suit and tie makes one holy (in their mind at least), then why not go all out and wear a tux (or a ballroom gown for the ladies)? (I've asked this question on the old FFF numerous times and even on the Baptist Board, and have never gotten a direct answer)  Nothing shows ones spiritual maturity and holiness quite like a tux or formal gown.

How about one of those glittering suits that a game show host would wear? Would that constitute "dressing up"?

Izdaari said:
Events can be important without being formal. The only NT instructions we have about how to dress for church is modestly, with the focus being mainly on not putting on a display of status or wealth. Paul in effect is telling the wealthier members NOT to wear their best clothes.

THIS.

Marji said:
Are you seriously going to bring this up again? 

Didn't you do a thread on the old forum about this?  ???
Trolls do what trolls do.

I like Izdaari's modesty answer, since that is the biblical standard. 

My grand kids play dress up.

Izdaari said:

Huh?

The Bible teaches modesty not formality in dress.

Marji said:
Are you seriously going to bring this up again? 

Didn't you do a thread on the old forum about this?  ???

So far, INANEMAN is posting all the same boring crap that he posted on the other board. All to simply get his posting numbers, just as he did there.  ::)

Absolutely we should dress up for important events. Once I realized how important an event 9/11 was, I immediately went home and dressed up, just so everyone would know that it was important.

I dress up for church but I have never wore nylons to church ...........am I getting demerits? :p

We have a special event this Sunday so I am going to dress in black and white like all of the other ladies and gentlemen in the handbell choir.  I will even shine my bells in honor of the important event.

Well, that is refreshing to know that no one on here thinks you should dress like a bum with blue jeans with holes in them, old tennis shoes, t-shirt, etc. 

The modesty answer is good.  I have never been accused of over dressing. 

Ironman said:
Well, that is refreshing to know that no one on here thinks you should dress like a bum with blue jeans with holes in them, old tennis shoes, t-shirt, etc. 

The modesty answer is good.  I have never been accused of over dressing.

What if you are a bum and that's all that you own?

I know that would be an extreme case, but I do know people who don't own suits and mostly or only own jeans and t-shirts, in some cases all a little worn looking. I also know a few women that don't own any dresses or skirts. This is not the 50s when most people have nicer clothes for work or going to town; many people live in a permanent state of casualness. I'd hate to think either would keep a person out of church, but I know it sometimes does, or at least keeps them from coming back once they see how they are received based on appearance.

Back when my husband would come to church with me, he wore jeans, a polo shirt, and work boots. He tried to pick the cleanest, nicest looking ones and make sure the boots were clean. For him, this was dressing up, and if anybody had said anything about him not wearing a suit or wearing jeans, he would have probably left right then.

Raine said:
I know that would be an extreme case, but I do know people who don't own suits and mostly or only own jeans and t-shirts, in some cases all a little worn looking. I also know a few women that don't own any dresses or skirts. This is not the 50s when most people have nicer clothes for work or going to town; many people live in a permanent state of casualness. I'd hate to think either would keep a person out of church, but I know it sometimes does, or at least keeps them from coming back once they see how they are received based on appearance.

"Permanent state of casualness", that's me! I dress more formally only for weddings or funerals, and maybe for dinner at an upscale restaurant if I get so lucky.