Sinaiticus - authentic antiquity or 1800s production?

Steven Avery

Elect
Reaction score
Codex Sinaiticus Authenticiy Research
http://www.sinaiticus.net/

Sinaiticus - authentic antiquity or modern?
http://www.purebibleforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

The new evidences available, especially the 2009 Codex Sinaiticus Project, supports a reappraisal of the Sinaiticus history.  What we see have is a recent manuscript, in two main sections, in "phenomenally good condition" (Helen Shenton.

And the one section that left Sinai in 1844 is white parchment, while the section that left Sinai in 1859 is coloured yellowish, unevenly, with large variance.  This matches the historical scenario of its production c. 1840 and the colouring was referenced as having occurred in the 1850s, using lemon-juice as an agent.

The basics of this analysis are quite simple to see and understand, although it takes a little time to become familiar with the historical elements.

Steven Avery

Getting a little tired of being asked to answer inconvenient questions, over on CARM, Avery?

At CARM, I can not post the links without a possible infraction.
Plus, there are other advantages here (or limitations there.)

Also, I have posted these links on numerous forums, they are simply helpful for anybody who wants to study the Sinaiticus authenticity question.

Steven Avery

I normally go with James White, don't have time to watch it.

So I'll say James nails it.

One major consideration is that there a large body of new evidence that has come forth after the debate (which had its own strengths and weaknesses.)

Steven Avery said:

One major consideration is that there a large body of new evidence that has come forth after the debate (which had its own strengths and weaknesses.)

One other major consideration is that your idea of a "large body of evidence" consists of Web pages and obscure works on Google Books that it only just recently occurred to you to find.

You are clearly not familiar with the Sinaiticus studies.  And I just posted it here to see if anyone wants to study and learn, and contribute constructively, iron sharpeneth.

If not, at least the main two urls are available for readers and visitors.

Steven Avery

Steven Avery said:
You are clearly not familiar with the Sinaiticus studies.

You are clearly a gullible KJV-onlyist who buys into crank conspiracy theories because they support your predrawn conclusions. No to mention you cannot understand biblical Greek and cannot therefore read Sinaiticus, have no understanding of paleology and are incapable of doing any sort of original research on the manuscript, and I surmise have never done so much as visited the British Museum to look at it in person.

You are an armchair archaeologist, in short, incapable of telling me anything I can't get myself from Google. I don't expect you to be any more competent discussing Codex Sinaiticus than you were a few years back trying to discuss the Athanasian Creed.

I may not be familiar with the particulars of Sialnaiticus study, but I know how to do research, and it doesn't involve listening to the uninformed raving of a KJV-only anti-Trinitarian crackpot. Iron may sharpeneth, but if you think you have the capability to teach me, you're about as sharp as a bowling ball.

> I may not be familiar with the particulars of Sinaiticus study

At least you had one sentence that is correct and pertinent to the thread.

Steven Avery

Steven Avery said:
At least you had one sentence that is correct and pertinent to the thread.

Too bad you missed the pertinent part of that sentence, in which I explained that you were an ignoramus.

Scott, I am well aware of your animus, I just thought that you might actually want to learn a bit about Codex Sinaiticus.  My goal in that regard is to learn more excellently the truth of the manuscript, which is rather an amazing study.

Steven Avery

Steve after all these years do I understand you still can not read Greek.

Sinaiticus is one of the easiest of the Uncial manuscripts for a beginner.

If you have Bible Works you would know that it is fully indexed to make it drop-dead easy.

Come on Steve you can do it.

Thanks for the suggestion.  However, it is not really relevant to the Sinaiticus studies, in terms of understanding that it is a recent manuscript.

We have a couple of Greek reading folks who do studies on those issues. 

Steven Avery

Cool! Now let's all discuss War & Peace in Russian!

FSSL said:
Cool! Now let's all discuss War & Peace in Russian!
Seemingly similar task.

earnestly contend

Steven Avery said:
Scott, I am well aware of your animus, I just thought that you might actually want to learn a bit about Codex Sinaiticus.

I'm happy to learn about Codex Sinaiticus. There is just nothing that you or your supposed "research team" of armchair critics, supposing they consist of more than your imaginary friends, are capable of teaching me.

I'll wait and see if there is anybody who is familiar with the issues and/or is interested in the study, which is quite fascinating.

Steven Avery

Steven Avery said:

I'll wait and see if there is anybody who is familiar with the issues and/or is interested in the study, which is quite fascinating.

Steven Avery

I'm interested.

We already know that Aleph is a train wreck, but a forgery to boot?

I'm not saying I buy it, but I'd like to review the evidence.

earnestly contend

prophet said:
We already know that Aleph is a train wreck, but a forgery to boot?
I'm not saying I buy it, but I'd like to review the evidence.
earnestly contend
Neat.

If you skim the two websites in the OP,  you can start to get a picture of some of the new evidences and how the pieces fit together. If you throw out a few thoughts, I'll try to run with your feedback.

One key element is the synthesis of the evidence from the physical manuscript sections, and the evidence from the historical accounts especially in the 1840s -1860s.

This was simply unavailable till the studies of the last few years.

Steven