Smoking Deacon

LOL…well, it taught you not to smoke, so some good came from it!
My mom repeats her stories and sentiments regularly due to dementia. One of those stories that gets regular airtime is “My dad said if he ever saw a cigarette in my mouth he’d knock it down my throat”. I’m glad for my grandpa’s threat, because I’ve seen too many older relatives die of smoke-related diseases.

LOL…well, it taught you not to smoke, so some good came from it!
true.... but then i grew up the first ten years of my life being continuously exposed to cigarette smoke both at home and everywhere my mom and then my sister dragged me to..... even my teachers in school back then commented that my clothing smelled like cigarettes.... and not all of it was tobacco smoke either... ..quite a few doobies were lit up and scarfed down in my presence when i was in my early years... ...in fact.. that was exactly the way i took that deep draw on that cigar - just as if i was taking a maximum effect drag on a doobie... .something i had seen done often enough to know exactly how to do it... (even if i hadn;t been given one before by a totally stoned adult and encouraged to take a puff on it as a child....)

thing is..... and this goes toward the subject in the o.p..... smoking might not be a sin.. the bible says nothing about it.... . but it is extremely unwise.... and it is also a vice as it does damage the body..... ..but one aspect of smoking can and often does become a sin - and that;s when smokers demonstrate a willingness to expose everyone else around them... even small children... to the smoke clouds created when they endulge in that vice.... heavy and chronic smokers will even pick up a baby and hold them with a cigaratte hanging out of their mouth... and continue puffing on it with the future of their family just inches away from their face... taking it all in..... ..

.that part of smoking plus the tendency of smokers to toss their cigarette butts down anywhere and everywhere they are is a major reason i am so much against it..... ..even though i have to admit that - probably due to the fact i was so over exposed to cigareette smoke as a child - that the smell of tobacco burning doesn;t bother me..... in fact i actually like it.... from a distance.... ....that;s a little scary and i have no idea what it means for the future - and whether or not i;ll be one of those who develops a tobacco related illness later in life, totally due to the second hand smoke i was exposed to.... ..but i have known of others it has happened to... ...

Last edited:
what i did was kinda dumb... very impulsive and totally unexpected - even to me.... ..it happened when we were whale watching at makapuu... and when my dad who was sitting up wind from me on the rocks lit up a cigar... . the wind started blowing the smoke toward me and i told him if he was going to smoke that i would end up smoking it too.... (i meant the second hand smoke.. but the whole thing went another way moments later).. he apologized - said he would move down wind and started to get up...

but i blurted out that;s not what i meant.. and i jumped up and grabbed the cigar out of his hand... ran a few steps away from him... and took a huge deep draw on it.... ..i have no idea what came over me or why i did that... but i instantly regretted it... i choked and couldn;t breathe... felt both lungs on fire... was instantly nauseated and barfed up all the water i drank earlier.... ..then started crying.... my dad said i turned green and he couldn;t resist laughing about it and couldn;t believe what he had just seen... ..i couldn;t believe i had just done it;.......subconciously i might have thought i could teach him a lesson doing something dumb... ...i wrote about it on the old fff the day after it happened...
I'd have laughed my butt off too.

true.... but then i grew up the first ten years of my life being continuously exposed to cigarette smoke both at home and everywhere my mom and then my sister dragged me to..... even my teachers in school back then commented that my clothing smelled like cigarettes.... and not all of it was tobacco smoke either... ..quite a few doobies were lit up and scarfed down in my presence when i was in my early years... ...in fact.. that was exactly the way i took that deep draw on that cigar - just as if i was taking a maximum effect drag on a doobie... .something i had seen done often enough to know exactly how to do it... (even if i hadn;t been given one before by a totally stoned adult and encouraged to take a puff on it as a child....)

thing is..... and this goes toward the subject in the o.p..... smoking might not be a sin.. the bible says nothing about it.... . but it is extremely unwise.... and it is also a vice as it does damage the body..... ..but one aspect of smoking can and often does become a sin - and that;s when smokers demonstrate a willingness to expose everyone else around them... even small children... to the smoke clouds created when they endulge in that vice.... heavy and chronic smokers will even pick up a baby and hold them with a cigaratte hanging out of their mouth... and continue puffing on it with the future of their family just inches away from their face... taking it all in..... ..

.that part of smoking plus the tendency of smokers to toss their cigarette butts down anywhere and everywhere they are is a major reason i am so much against it..... ..even though i have to admit that - probably due to the fact i was so over exposed to cigareette smoke as a child - that the smell of tobacco burning doesn;t bother me..... in fact i actually like it.... from a distance.... ....that;s a little scary and i have no idea what it means for the future - and whether or not i;ll be one of those who develops a tobacco related illness later in life, totally due to the second hand smoke i was exposed to.... ..but i have known of others it has happened to... ...
I’m fortunate that I was exposed to very little second hand smoke growing up. My grandfather was a cigarette smoker, but I wasn’t around him more than a couple weeks a year. My aunt was a smoker, but again, I wasn’t around her when she lit up except for rare occasions. Other than them, I was only exposed to it on the rare occasions we’d go out to eat as a kid (people could smoke inside restaurants back then). Despite all that, I did try smoking cigarettes for a short period of time, but fortunately it wasn’t my thing and I broke the habit within a short period of time. Of course, on the other hand, I enjoyed dipping tobacco for twenty years. I just quit that several years ago. I still use tobacco-free nicotine pouches. I guess I quit tobacco but not nicotine.

Are there not better things to discuss aside from deacons who smoke?

RC Sproul smoke and struggled with it for most of his life. Still one of the greatest theologians and teachers in this present age.

Just because you smoke doesn't mean you're headed to hell. It may smell like you've been there though.

Your intent for the thread, and the redirection of that intent is perfectly understandable. The truth is, however, nobody here is going to defend such decision making from a pastor. That conversation would end quickly. However, there has been some tangential and interesting discussion flowing from the subject. As light as the traffic is around here anymore, you ought to be glad there’s more than just two responses, lol.😉 That is, of course, unless you just want everybody to pile on all the IFBX stuff that’s stupid like that found in the “IFB Preacher Clips” thread.
Some people are just overly touchy about the threads they start. They forget that this is an internet forum, open to responses that don't fit their intent. I agree...traffic here is light, and he really ought to be glad that it's taken off and even gone into a second, and possibly later into a third page.

Just because you smoke doesn't mean you're headed to hell. It may smell like you've been there though.
One of my former pastors used to say that all the time, and he'd constantly use it against my dad. I was surprised that my dad didn't clock him for all the comments and digs he made towards him, and then would come to his place of business and look for him to give him discounts...large discounts. I have to say straight up, I hate dealing with "Christians," and especially so-called pastors.

One of my former pastors used to say that all the time, and he'd constantly use it against my dad. I was surprised that my dad didn't clock him for all the comments and digs he made towards him, and then would come to his place of business and look for him to give him discounts...large discounts. I have to say straight up, I hate dealing with "Christians," and especially so-called pastors.
To live Above with the saints we love, that will be glory;

To live below with those we know, brother, that's another story.

Some people are just overly touchy about the threads they start. They forget that this is an internet forum, open to responses that don't fit their intent. I agree...traffic here is light, and he really ought to be glad that it's taken off and even gone into a second, and possibly later into a third page.
I do know that back in the early days of the forum that people would be properly admonished, or rebuked to stay on topic. That was due to the fact that there was so much action going on it was considered improper etiquette to try to derail the conversation by getting off topic, and there were lots of trolls and things like that that would do that kind of thing intentionally. But contextually, neither of those situations are the case near as much now so as to justify censuring folk.