Snoopy's Christmas

Ekklesian

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
  • This song takes place during World War I, and follows up on "Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron," where Snoopy is a fighter pilot. In "Snoopy's Christmas," The Red Baron decides not to shoot Snoopy down, but forces him to land and gives him a Christmas gift.

There really was a Christmas Truce in 1914 between the British and German troops, mainly on the Western Front. Trench warfare had created a bit of a stalemate, and the soldiers were able to communicate with each other. They negotiated a cease-fire and even exchanged small gifts like whiskey, rum, cigars, and chocolates, meeting in "No Man's Land," which was the battlefield between the trenches.
    >>

The Royal Guardsmen were a six-piece from Ocala, Florida. Signed to Laurie Records, their first single was "Baby Let's Wait," which stiffed. Their next single was "Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron," which was a huge hit, leading to three sequels: "The Return of the Red Baron," "Snoopy's Christmas" and "Snoopy for President."
How did the band feel about recording these Snoopy songs? Barry Winslow, who was their guitarist and sang lead on these tracks, told us in 2014: "The popularity of Snoop was incredible (as still to this day). When 'Snoopy's Christmas' came along, we just did it. That and 'Snoopy Vs. The Red Baron are my favorites. We were a bit let down though, since we never really got to do our own songs. In those days, most bands were stuck in the 'hit rut.'"
>>

This recording doesn't include the Tannenbaum intro.

Last edited:
Two lines from the traditional song "O Tannenbaum" (the German version of "O Christmas Tree") are featured at the very beginning of this song. The song also contains different sound effects: zooming airplanes, sounds of gunshots and explosions of bombs, and Christmas bells.
As Chuck Berry found out when he wrote a song about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, you can't write a song about a copyrighted character without compensating its owner. It's unclear what legal action took place regarding this and the other Royal Guardsmen Snoopy songs, but there was a deal worked out with Charles Schulz. Some of the Snoopy releases by the band featured Schulz' artwork.
>>

It's unclear what legal action took place regarding this and the other Royal Guardsmen Snoopy songs, but there was a deal worked out with Charles Schulz. Some of the Snoopy releases by the band featured Schulz' artwork.
From what I'm to understand about Charles Schulz, he was typically a good sport about things like this. He wasn't going to give away the shop or let his creation take on an image it was never meant to... but he wasn't a hoarder.

On Dec. 9, 1965, a young boy threw up his hands in despair and shouted, “Isn’t there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?”

“Sure, Charlie Brown,” the boy’s friend, Linus, answered. “I can tell you what Christmas is all about.”

Dragging his trademark security blanket, Linus walked to the center of the school auditorium stage, where friends were rehearsing a Christmas play.

“Lights, please,” Linus said.

Charlie Brown and Linus

A spotlight clicked on. Then Linus delivered one of the most memorable monologues in television history: an account of Christ’s birth, recited word for word from the Gospel of Luke. It lasted a solid minute.

On Dec. 9, 1965, a young boy threw up his hands in despair and shouted, “Isn’t there anyone who knows what Christmas is all about?”

“Sure, Charlie Brown,” the boy’s friend, Linus, answered. “I can tell you what Christmas is all about.”

Dragging his trademark security blanket, Linus walked to the center of the school auditorium stage, where friends were rehearsing a Christmas play.

“Lights, please,” Linus said.

Charlie Brown and Linus

A spotlight clicked on. Then Linus delivered one of the most memorable monologues in television history: an account of Christ’s birth, recited word for word from the Gospel of Luke. It lasted a solid minute.
it;s been many years since i saw that on tv.... ...and i think i only saw it once.... .. now i;m gonna have to look it up and watch it again.... :) ..well made animated movies are becoming rare... ...disney lost the art of making them decades ago...