So done with it!!

Still There

Elect
Reaction score
After the Schaap debacle our family after over 55 years of attending and finally had enough. Couldn?t take it anymore.  We followed our former Sunday school teacher when he started a church. A few years into it, things started to change. Didn?t like it. We finally made the decision that we are ?churched out!?  We decided enough is enough.  Now I know 100^ I am going to heaven so it doesn?t matter if we go or not. 

Still There said:
After the Schaap debacle our family after over 55 years of attending and finally had enough. Couldn?t take it anymore.  We followed our former Sunday school teacher when he started a church. A few years into it, things started to change. Didn?t like it. We finally made the decision that we are ?churched out!?  We decided enough is enough.  Now I know 100^ I am going to heaven so it doesn?t matter if we go or not.

Describe how "things started to change".

And yes, it does matter.

Clearly God intended us to meet with other Christians for the purpose of :

Worshiping
Edifying
Exorting
Teaching
Training

Hebrews 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

I believe there is a church out there that would meet your families needs and provide a place to serve. Sometimes it takes a little work to find it.

I don't attend church so I will go to Heaven, I go to church to prepare to better serve God. I also attend church because the one who payed my way to Heaven says I should. If your church is not where Gods wants you he will lead you to another. I believe that with all my heart. Sometimes it may not seem so important but I believe in the end it is.

This is the inevitable fall-out of churches like FBC Hammond...  A man-centered army of soldiers driven by a carnal duty to do, do, do for God and don't, don't, don't do what they say is sin...  And nothing more.  And when the Pastor falls or dies, the 'Christianity' of the congregation does as well.

I pray that you can find a church that will focus on knowing God and being constrained by the love of Christ to walk closely with Him and serve Him.  He's a wonderful Saviour!  Be very leery of a church where you rarely ever hear the name of Jesus Christ proclaimed!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I keep quitting too, but my wife always forces me to go back....And I'm the pastor!

16KJV11 said:
I keep quitting too, but my wife always forces me to go back....And I'm the pastor!

So true!  LOL!

Still There, one of the strongest problems I've seen over the decades is Christians who stay in the wrong church. The problem is not God, churches, or you. Sometimes a Christian grows successfully and suddenly realizes that he is no longer growing. Sometimes a group of rebels seize control of a church. Sometimes an opportunity for service opens in another church.

I am still an IFB, and I was surprised when God continued to use me in Southern Baptist churches. I was even more surprised when He started using me in an Assemblies of God church.

I advise you to take your time, look around, pray for guidance, and trust God to lead you to the right church for you.

Hey, Still There!
I understand. I?ve been where you say you are. You may actually be done. I was for a long time. One day, in the most unlikely of places, with the most unlikely group of folks, God spoke to my heart. I was still and quiet. I knew that He was already in my heart. I just continued to listen and then to learn. Now I know I am where He wants me to be. Guess what! It doesn?t have a steeple! I?ve never felt such peace, love, and grace in my Christian life! Be careful, be still, and listen for Him. You will know when or if things need to change. I, too, was traumatized by all of the scandals. I had barely survived some trauma of my own. If we believe that His eye is on the sparrow, then we know He watches us and works in and through us?in HIS time, not on your critics? time. I wish you all the best. You are not doing wrong. Believe in yourself, your experience, and your God. That?s all.

Still There said:

I'm happy that your left a bad situation.

I'm sorry that in the new church things started to change.

But as others have said, we don't go to church in order to go to heaven.

I am grateful to God for saving me, and I want to do what I can to be grateful; God is pleased when we obey Him, and His Word has many ways in which we can pleased Him.  The pattern of the disciples was that they continued steadfastly in fellowship (among other things) - Acts 2:42.

Abandoning church cuts off your fellowship with God and with other Christians.

Please make an effort to find a church where God would have you to be.

I have gone through this very thought pattern multiple times in my life. The thing is, I wind up missing it. And by "it" I mean, the music, the teaching, the camaraderie (others may call it fellowship) and the purposefulness of actually getting ready and going to church. For me, it is one of the few times  that I can totally concentrate on something (n this case, the application of the Word of God to my life) without distraction and multi-tasking.  I too have been in some situations where continuing to attend was pointless - FBC was the first - but after a few months I always began looking again until I found a place that fit. Then, I would have to move for work reasons and the whole process would start over again.

You still may be suffering from the mentality projected at FBC that if you couldn't attend FBC it was pointless to go anywhere. This stance, along with many others, turns out to not be true.

All of this is your decision, of course. But, as the rest of the forum members have pointed out, there really are more than 2 churches in the world.

Still There said:

Still There said:
We feel your pain, my friend.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk