So Simple A Child Could Understand?

abcaines

Staff member
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
We've all heard the gospel described as being so simple a child can understand it. Even a good many of the tracts I've distributed while ministering through CMA say this very thing. I don't want to totally dispute this claim because I've seen or heard of many youngsters being reached with the gospel and responding. I have even responded to my share of alter calls as a child but for some reason, it was so abstract to me what I was doing and why. I knew I had a sin problem but the closest I came to a saving relationship with Christ was thinking that if I sin the next day, I'll come back up and pray with the counselor again.

A bit of background is in order: From my earliest memories, I never needed anyone to explain God or Heaven to me. I remember as a toddler pondering the eternal nature of God and His kingdom. However, I never heard much about Jesus until my sister was describing why Grandpa always insisted we as a family observed Easter. That Jesus guy seemed pretty cool to me; I wished the bad guys hadn't killed Him. I was glad to know He came back from the dead. The following summer, my school bus driver invited me to ride his other bus to Sunday School. It was there I heard what Jesus could do for you. I remember them telling us "Allow Jesus to enter your heart..." While showing us that famous picture of Him knocking on the door. I literally looked down my shirt wondering if that is what I looked like on the inside. I remember being very confused. Now before you think they weren't complete in their sharing the Gospel, I'm sure they approached it from every angle possible for kids since they did this every Sunday. This kid who could understand God's eternal nature was having trouble understanding the simple gospel. Over the next ten years, I heard more and more but never made the connection. However, by the time I was a teenager and what I would consider my most pagan mindset, I knew this: I was not going to get to Heaven on my own merits. Fast forward to June of 1981, I had just finished my junior year of high school and was at a Young Life camp. There was a camp counselor explaining the gospel to another camper. This same gospel I had heard over again suddenly came clear. It was as though the Holy Spirit flipped a switch and the light came on.

So, what's my point in describing all of this? No one is going to respond to the Gospel at any age regardless of how simple it seems until the Holy Spirit "flips" the switch. Does this negate what numerous people did by preaching the gospel from every conceivable angle over the years? NO. God built in my heart what He desired and at the time of His choosing, allowed the lights to come on. Did I instantly change? Not outwardly. In fact, anyone following me for the next almost two years would likely have said my conversion was just another in a long line of professions of faith. I would have told you as much. But in hindsight, I can honestly say my heart was changed and eventually, as I overcame many of the issues I had, and the Word of God began finding its place in my heart, I grew in HIM.

So, let's not give up sharing whatever God lays on our hearts to do so. Yes, for some it is very simple. Others, such as myself, it isn't as simple as it seems.

Last edited:
We've all heard the gospel described as being so simple a child can understand it. Even a good many of the tracts I've distributed while ministering through CMA say this very thing. I don't want to totally dispute this claim because I've seen or heard of many youngsters being reached with the gospel and responding. I have even responded to my share of alter calls as a child but for some reason, it was so abstract to me what I was doing and why. I knew I had a sin problem but the closest I came to a saving relationship with Christ was thinking that if I sin the next day, I'll come back up and pray with the counselor.

A bit of background is in order: From my earliest memories, I never needed anyone to explain God or Heaven to me. I remember as a toddler pondering the eternal nature of God and His kingdom. However, I never heard much about Jesus until my sister was describing why Grandpa always insisted we as a family observed Easter. That Jesus guy seemed pretty cool to me; I wished the bad guys hadn't killed Him. I was glad to know He came back from the dead. The following summer, my school bus driver invited me to ride his other bus to Sunday School. It was there I heard what Jesus could do for you. I remember them telling us "Allow Jesus to enter your heart..." While showing us that famous picture of Him knocking on the door. I literally looked down my shirt wondering if that is what I looked like on the inside. I remember being very confused. Now before you think they weren't complete in their sharing the Gospel, I'm sure they approached it from every angle possible for kids since they did this every Sunday. This kid who could understand God's eternal nature was having trouble understanding the simple gospel. Over the next ten years, I heard more and more but never made the connection. However, by the time I was a teenager and what I would consider my most pagan mindset, I knew this: I was not going to get to Heaven on my own merits. Fast forward to June of 1981, I had just finished my junior year of high school and was at a Young Life camp. There was a camp counselor explaining the gospel to another camper. This same gospel I had heard over again suddenly came clear. It was as though the Holy Spirit flipped a switch and the light came on.

So, what's my point in describing all of this? No one is going to respond to the Gospel at any age regardless of how simple it seems until the Holy Spirit "flips" the switch. Does this negate what numerous people did by preaching the gospel from every conceivable angle over the years? NO. God built in my heart what He desired and at the time of His choosing, allowed the lights to come on. Did I instantly change? Not outwardly. In fact, anyone following me for the next almost two years would likely have said my conversion was just another in a long line of professions of faith. I would have told you as much. But in hindsight, I can honestly say my heart was changed and eventually, as I overcame many of the issues I had, and the Word of God began finding its place in my heart, I grew in HIM.

So, let's not give up sharing whatever God lays on our hearts to do so. Yes, for some it is very simple. Others, such as myself, it isn't as simple as it seems.
Well said, and I'll keep it brief, but that complexity of the nature of how somebody comes to Christ over a long clouded timespan might also be summarized by CS Lewis as "the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England" captured by The Hound of Heaven. And in that vain, of the complex and mysterious nature of conversion I'd add this is a good movie.

Last edited:
We've all heard the gospel described as being so simple a child can understand it. Even a good many of the tracts I've distributed while ministering through CMA say this very thing. I don't want to totally dispute this claim because I've seen or heard of many youngsters being reached with the gospel and responding. I have even responded to my share of alter calls as a child but for some reason, it was so abstract to me what I was doing and why. I knew I had a sin problem but the closest I came to a saving relationship with Christ was thinking that if I sin the next day, I'll come back up and pray with the counselor again.

Well said! It reminded me of the two men on the road to Emmaus after the resurrection in Luke that heard Jesus explain everything in the Old Testament that pointed to Him but they did not recognize Him. Then, suddenly, He revealed Himself. The Holy Spirit touched you at the perfect time so that all of the truth that you heard over the years came together. Beautiful testimony.