So...."The Bible"?

Just John

Elect
Reaction score
Well I think the first 6 of 10 hours have now been shown. What are your thoughts so far?

I'm amused at a couple of articles I've read that the writers are "surprised" or claim "it's not quite clear" why the mini-series has been so popular.  ::)

All I know is they got Barack Obama to play the devil.  He was typecast.

Castor Muscular said:

LOL!  Indeed

Haven't watched it.  Won't watch it.  Chief reason. among many, is that it grossly and grieviously violates the 2nd commandment.

aleshanee said:
Castor Muscular said:

well.. .. they could have got joe biden for a cheaper price and less controversy..  :-\ .. . .. ..  but they were probably afraid he wouldn;t be able to remember his lines..  ;D .. ..  but seriously... i saw that episode with the supposed obama look alike devil. .. . i didn;t see the big deal.. . his voice wasn;t like obamas and obama doesn;t have that big warty looking mole on his chin the devil actor has either... ??? ..  the hyper libs are making a big deal outta nothing... ::) . .. again....  ..

The devil character is much better looking than zero-bama.

bruinboy said:
The devil character is much better looking than zero-bama.

tumblr_mjx1g0mHO81s59098o1_500.png

Reformed Guy said:
Haven't watched it.  Won't watch it.  Chief reason. among many, is that it grossly and grieviously violates the 2nd commandment.

The letter and not the spirit of the law? I don't plan on worshiping the picture of the guy depicting Jesus. I haven't even watched much of it. :)

I'm not making fun. I do realize this is controversial and for some this is very serious. I respect it. Not sure I understand it but I respect it.

I watched the first one and found myself in tears several times, in awe of what God has done in the redemptive scheme of history.  My wife, not near as curmudgeonly as me, groused continually at how much of the important stories (like Joseph) they left out.  I DVR'd the next two episodes, and am looking forward to seeing Obama.  :D

ALAYMAN said:
I watched the first one and found myself in tears several times, in awe of what God has done in the redemptive scheme of history.  My wife, not near as curmudgeonly as me, groused continually at how much of the important stories (like Joseph) they left out.  I DVR'd the next two episodes, and am looking forward to seeing Obama.  :D

At first I thought you wrote your wife was MORE curmudgeonly than you and I'm like, "no way"!  LOL

The parts I saw definitely made the Bible come more alive and challenge my thinking (not my beliefs). I think sometimes I think of it in austere settings like flannel graph stories. Seriously.

Just John said:
Reformed Guy said:

The letter and not the spirit of the law?

It's not either/or.  The letter and the spirit of the law forbid pictures of God.  Jesus is God.  The letter forbids the pictures and the spirit forbids the desire for pictures.  Pitting one against the other is like a man committing adultery claiming that he is keeping the spirit of the law because if he kept the letter, and didn't commit adultery, he would be violating the spirit.  Kind on nonsensical, don't you think?

I don't plan on worshiping the picture of the guy depicting Jesus.

Of course, worshipping the guy would be blasphemous.  But there's still a problem.  "I don't worship the guy, I don't worship the image..."  Think about that for a minute.  Think about the "spirit" of the law. 

Every thought of Christ should drive us to worship.  Every thought.  Every depiction.  Every time.  If it doesn't, we have serious heart issues.  If an "image" of God cause us to worship, we have broken the letter of the law- "you shall not bow down to them or worship them."  If we entertain "images" of God and do not worship, we have violated the spirit of the law.  We have encountered "God," in some way, with something other than a worshipful heart. 

The only way to remove the dilemna is to remove the image that God in His wisdom has forbidden to us.

Just thought I'm mention that we all bear the image of God...  ???