So, What Does One Do After Getting Out of a Cult?

abcaines

Staff member
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
The thread about David Eels has raised a great question: After breaking free from a cult, where does one go? Who does one seek out for counseling? What can they expect when transitioning from such a harmful environment? How can they overcome the challenges? I think this is a set of questions that deserves its own thread.

Great thread and questions.

In my opinion, a lot of your answers will depend on the type of cult and level of involvement a person had within it. For example, there’s what we call “cults” within some (not all) IFB churches, but typically I’d refer to those ministries as “cultish,” meaning they have cult-like tendencies. On the other hand, you have organizations that are 100% cult to a tee. Followers of Jim Jones, David Koresh, etc., come to mind. If we toss in Satanic cults, they’re on another level even beyond.

The thread about David Eels has raised a great question: After breaking free from a cult, where does one go? Who does one seek out for counseling? What can they expect when transitioning from such a harmful environment? How can they overcome the challenges? I think this is a set of questions that deserves its own thread.
The answer is really very simple. One needs to join with a genuine Christian mission and get under some genuine discipleship. There is nothing new under the sun. No one is suffering a kind of abuse or deception today that the church in hasn't seen since Jesus walked the earth.

Simple pet answer is to "Read your Bible and start attending a Bible Preaching/Believing church." There are a good number of trust issues though and those dealing with former cultists need to be sensitive to this and exercise grace and patience as they try to sort things out.

As we have seen here first-hand, far too many in the FBCH/HAC cult (and other abberant IFB groups) have received a false gospel and therefore possess a false conversion and such is manifest when they wake up, "smell the coffee," and walk away from faith altogether!☹️

If I had a friend who had just left a cult and was looking for better answers, I'd invite him to my church, sit with him as my guest, then treat him to lunch afterward and let him ask whatever questions he wanted, or just vent.

I wouldn't pressure him into a second week if he didn't want it. We're also what counts as a megachurch in Canada, so he would hardly even be noticed in the crowd, let alone singled out for unwanted attention. (Big churches do have their advantages as well.)

Basically, if he was liable to walk away from faith entirely, I would at least want to give him a chance to see a perfectly mainstream evangelical church in action that isn't going to put any undue pressure on him to join. If he's just kicked heroin, I don't want to be perceived as trying to get him hooked on codeine instead.

At the heart of your questions is the matter of who to trust. Once having been burnt by religion, I imagine that it would be a very cautious step forward. So my short answer is…find a doctrinally sound grace filled church, and sit under the wise teachers and pastors, soaking up the rightly divided word.

Because of the traumas that some people were exposed to, they returned to Islam. How can we restore confidence in this world?

Because of the traumas that some people were exposed to, they returned to Islam. How can we restore confidence in this world?
We must never put confidence in the world.

People look away from Islam because it doesn't meet their need. However, when they meet up with a goofball like Eells, it fails to meet the need plus it brings persecution. Obviously, people are going to revert back to Islam because at least there, there is no persecution. It's sad. I certainly wouldn't want to be Eells' position when the Judgement comes.

Of course, it is easy for us who have not been taken in by a cult to say, "It's simple. Find a good church and learn the Bible." But what if the person emerging from a cult doesn't know what a good church looks like? As someone pointed out, the person coming from a cult may have reservations about "joining" another group. After all, joining a group is what caused the trouble in the first place.

How many people think it's a good idea to put a young child in a house full of good food but not provide some kind of support to make sure he eats what he is supposed to or eats something that is properly prepared? Of course, we'd never think such a thing was a good idea. It's the same thing with a new believer: we shouldn't just hand him a Bible and say go read it. We make sure he's receiving instruction appropriate for his situation.

I have a long time friend who escaped "The Way" cult. He was intelligent and a true believer. He would engage anyone who ever approached him, knowing ahead of time their cultic leanings. He liked to nail them.

Great story Mike told me. Mormons approached him, wanting to have a Bible study. They said, "We will only study the Bible." Now knowing that he had a tape recorder under his couch, recording their words. In just their second meeting they also brought the book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price, set the Bible on the table and said, we have a couple more books that help us understand the Bible.

He confronted them and said "But you said we would only study the Bible." They hemmed and hawed until he played their words back. Never saw them again.

He did things like this. He said that he encountered a lot of former cult people and discipled them using The Navigator's discipleship program. That is what I recommend. Teach them to read the Bible themselves using a well-known Orthodox Discipleship Program. Not Willow Creek's or Rick Warren's.

Last edited:
If I had a friend who had just left a cult and was looking for better answers, I'd invite him to my church, sit with him as my guest, then treat him to lunch afterward and let him ask whatever questions he wanted, or just vent.

I wouldn't pressure him into a second week if he didn't want it. We're also what counts as a megachurch in Canada, so he would hardly even be noticed in the crowd, let alone singled out for unwanted attention. (Big churches do have their advantages as well.)

Basically, if he was liable to walk away from faith entirely, I would at least want to give him a chance to see a perfectly mainstream evangelical church in action that isn't going to put any undue pressure on him to join. If he's just kicked heroin, I don't want to be perceived as trying to get him hooked on codeine instead.
I like that. If the preaching is Biblical, and he is a true believer, or truly searching, Jesus said "My sheep know my voice" so he would be drawn to truth.

The problem for my loved one in DE cult is they believe they are on a higher plain than "apostate" churches. They can talk the Bible with the best of them. We have been in church for over 40 years. Currently not "in" church because of their involvement in DE and their "special or hidden" revelations. And frankly, while we have been in several good churches, there seems to be a point where the pastor might lead up to something in God's word that would take some serious reflection on the individuals part, and then change the subject. It's so frustrating.

Last edited:
The problem for my loved on in DE cult is they believe they are on a higher plain than "apostate" churches. They can talk the Bible with the best of them.
These are the most dangerous of cults. When I was being discipled about 40 years ago, Walter Martin was the authority on cults. His book, The Kingdom of the Cults, was prized among the IFB circles I walked with. The definition of a cult according to Martin, is a religious group whose writings are on par with or supercede the scriptures, they deny the deity of Christ, and/or preach a works oriented salvation. The Mormons, the JWs, SDA, fit these definitions thus we kept our recognition of cults confined to such groups.

With the rise of the Hyles cult of personality, along with fringe groups such as Ruckmanites, etc, we have realized that a cult can have a very orthodox sounding statement of faith, yet be distracting enough to lead their followers away from the truth. These cults who may utter orthodox sounding preaching are far more nefarious than the classic cults we learned to shun many years ago.

Last edited:
One smart enough to get away will be willing to work hard and get a secular, accredited education. They might take a break from church houses for a bit, but not a break from Jesus. They can find a like-minded mate and plot their course. I did it and I’ve never been sorry, never gone back, and never would!

One smart enough to get away will be willing to work hard and get a secular, accredited education. They might take a break from church houses for a bit, but not a break from Jesus. They can find a like-minded mate and plot their course. I did it and I’ve never been sorry, never gone back, and never would!
I can understand the desire to take a break from the "Church House" but I would never recommend breaking away from the fellowship of God's people. There certainly are trust issues that need to be worked through and hopefully they could find a pastor and pastoral counseling that is sensitive to this.

I can understand the desire to take a break from the "Church House" but I would never recommend breaking away from the fellowship of God's people. There certainly are trust issues that need to be worked through and hopefully they could find a pastor and pastoral counseling that is sensitive to this.
Trust issues are a big problem. I always steer clear of “pastoral counseling “. As Mary Richards did, “Love is all around no need to waste it. You can have the town why don’t you take it? You might just make it after all”! There is some sage advice in that song! Don’t be so afraid of the world. It’s not nearly as bad as they tell you! You can still be a Christian out here in the world, I do it every day!

Trust issues are a big problem. I always steer clear of “pastoral counseling “. As Mary Richards did, “Love is all around no need to waste it. You can have the town why don’t you take it? You might just make it after all”! There is some sage advice in that song! Don’t be so afraid of the world. It’s not nearly as bad as they tell you! You can still be a Christian out here in the world, I do it every day!
Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

1 John 2:15-17

Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

1 John 2:15-17
Scriptures certainly teach against a wordly attitude/mindset. I think what sawthru means is that Christians don't have to withdraw from everything that involves non-Christians. (don't send your kids to Devil U., etc.) I think our country is in a mess because Christians have withdrawn from society and tried to replicate everything in a strictly Christian subculture so that they don't have to rub elbows with the lost.

Scriptures certainly teach against a wordly attitude/mindset. I think what sawthru means is that Christians don't have to withdraw from everything that involves non-Christians. (don't send your kids to Devil U., etc.) I think our country is in a mess because Christians have withdrawn from society and tried to replicate everything in a strictly Christian subculture so that they don't have to rub elbows with the lost.
I get what you're saying but I'm giving a counterpoint... Too often Christians take in worldly philosophies hook line and sinker and use the line, "we're supposed to be in the world, not of the world" as an excuse.