Sometimes, you just can't win!

subllibrm said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
It is akin to the belief among some Baptist brethren down here, that eating and drinking is anathema in the church buildings...you must eat and drink in a fellowship building that is DETACHED from your auditorium.

We removed our pews and switched to linkable chairs. It has opened up so many options for utilizing limited space. For two of my girls weddings we set up tables and the ceremony was akin to dinner theater. Held the reception right there immediately after the I dos. One room to clean. No travel time. No wait for the wedding party to arrive.

Now we do a Christmas musical every December. We set it up in a similar way and then members "buy" tables and invite friends to come for a night out. Friday, Saturday and Sunday evening in early December. The response has been great!

For Halloween we take all the chairs out and set up a bounce house. The vaulted ceiling allows room to get one of the big ones! All around the perimeter are games and candy stations. We did the outdoor "trunk-r-treat" thing for several years but Michigan weather is so iffy we moved it in doors and never looked back. Hundreds of people attend each year.

It is just a big room.

I prefer pews & we happen to have them at my church. On the other hand chairs are fine as well & if they have worked out for you I very happy for that. They provide some flexibility pews will never have. I also prefer old hymns but am fine with more contemporary music for those who prefer that style.

I wish most Baptist could focus on their own ministry & not worry so much what everybody else is doing.

prophet said:
FBCH has done it for years, don't know if they still do.

Red Cross blood drive is a regular occurrence at FBCH.

bgwilkinson said:
prophet said:

Thanks for the update.

I've never heard any criticism about you're blood drive, have you?

In Galatians 2:9-10 we read, "and when James and Cephas and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given to me, they gave the right hand of fellowship to Barnabas and me, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. 10 Only, they asked us to remember the poor, the very thing I was eager to do.

Although evangelism was what Paul was all about he didn't seem to have any problems in helping those in need.  We are not to care only about souls, but the entire person.  However, we cannot (as some have already stated) ever lose track of the true purpose of the church, which is to make disciples for Jesus Christ - which includes reaching out with the gospel.

sword said:
Binaca Chugger said:
I am for the program.  To answer the OP, the criticism is from the missions debate.  Some have moved completely to social service for missions and have completely abandoned evangelism.  I think most here would agree that this is not a good practice.  To combat this movement, aome have awung the pendulum to far on the other direction to create their own error of never being involved in social helps.

I agree with binaca chugger. My guess is these critics have seen churches lose their focus over the years. If soulwinning & outreach is replaced with recycling drives & social work it would be a problem with balance. I'm all for blood drives & other community events.

I can see that point, and have often made it myself.
But, to me, a blood drive is a long way from social work....but I suppose that might be the point they try to make.

prophet said:
bgwilkinson said:
prophet said:

Thanks for the update.

I've never heard any criticism about you're blood drive, have you?

All feedback has been positive.

The flip side to the "we ain't no social gospel church" mindset is that to the lost we are just another group selling something.

We will feed you if you accept Jesus. If not, starve and go to hell Certainly not the intent but it is what is often heard by many.

There is no quid pro quo in the gospel.

subllibrm said:
The flip side to the "we ain't no social gospel church" mindset is that to the lost we are just another group selling something.

We will feed you if you accept Jesus. If not, starve and go to hell Certainly not the intent but it is what is often heard by many.

There is no quid pro quo in the gospel.

With so many on the extreme ends of this issue, there should certainly be plenty of room in the middle.  :)
We have an ongoing ministry that many do characterize as social work, but we consider it outreach. We meet physical and social needs but always keep the Gospel at the forefront, especially in our minds and motivation. We do not have a formal sermon or gospel presentation at most of our ministry events, but find that our consistent and balanced presence gives us a solid platform from which to preach and present when the opportunities arise.
I would hasten to day that I would not support such ministries if presenting the Gospel and discipleship was not THE basis of such ministries.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Our church buildings are located on a well travelled road in our city...we are easy to get to!
For that reason, twice each year we sponsor/host blood drives.
Have for years...but we receive criticism from some other churches/church folk because we have 'forsaken the ministry' for 'social work'.

Just goes to show, yet again, that not everyone thinks alike...but this is a criticism...a perspective...that would never have crossed my mind.
Can any of you see a point here, at all?

Persecution for your faith is horrible.  Call Marty and share war stories while the wives shop for purses.

subllibrm said:
We will feed you if you accept Jesus. If not, starve and go to hell

A church I used to attend many years ago fed the poor.  Their subtext was "We will feed you up until a certain time when you are required to sit quietly and listen to me preach."  I recall going to get someone another plate of spaghetti he requested while the pastor was giving his sermon to the captive audience, and the pastor looked at me like I should go to jail for doing that. I don't recall if I went ahead and got the spaghetti anyway -- it was a long time ago.

Our church is the school and the town's community building so it's a non-issue

Biker said:

That is actually a relevant point.
I have never heard a complaint about start up churches using other buildings for church services, even movie theaters. That also presents an interesting perspective for the don't eat in the church building people....

Tarheel Baptist said:
Biker said:

That is actually a relevant point.
I have never heard a complaint about start up churches using other buildings for church services, even movie theaters. That also presents an interesting perspective for the don't eat in the church building people....
don't eat in the church building people? LOL!!!

I wish people wouldn't bring their dogs to church. Some dogs follow them to church. All dogs are off leash. Eventually there is going to be a dog fight

Larger dogs like German shepherd, Pit Bull, Lab. Two are known to bite people from time to time.