Steven Anderson: Discipleship Is Out of Hell!

HammondCheese

Elect
Reaction score
We all know these types...  I just can't believe he actually admitted it.  This is disturbing...

https://youtu.be/KajnyE8zcuI

About 10 years ago I stopped by to take Steve out for lunch.

While he was showing me around his church, he mentioned that they had just had a "soul-winning day" in Gila Bend, AZ.

I responded with something like, "That's great.  How many were saved?"

"Around 80 or so"

"Did you get their names and addresses?"

I can't explain the blank look on his face.  Nope, they got zero names and addresses.

"So how do you know who they are and how do you do any follow-up"?

Blank.

Now I wasn't asking him to go back and knock on each door, etc but at least put them on a mailing list.

"So, these saved people are just left out in the wilderness with no direction?"  (At that time there was no good church in Gila Bend)

Blank.  We then went to lunch.

Personally, I doubt anyone was saved.  Having only having to answer "yes" to their questions, and they then declaring them saved doesn't breed much confidence.

We can thank Prophet for some of this as he claims he had a big impact on Steve at Hammond.  But we can't blame Prophet.

So the easy way out of any responsibility is to preach a message like this.  Now some of it is right.  We can't force ANYONE to come to church.

But to just totally drop them is wrong.

Anyone have a video showing the results of follow-up?  I was at Lancaster for an anniversary service and the highlight was a stream of people who had been reached through door-to-door and FOLLOWED UP!  Many testified that they were only in church and growing in their faith because the church CARED ENOUGH to FOLLOW-UP.

If they are not baptized and observing all of Christ's commandments (fullfilling Matthew 28:19-20) they shouldn't be considered "converts".   

brianb said:
If they are not baptized and observing all of Christ's commandments (fullfilling Matthew 28:19-20) they shouldn't be considered "converts". 

Does anyone have "converts" when you don't know their names?

brianb said:
I'd like to know how these "coverts' are even getting baptized if his church never commits the sin of following up...  And I've never even seen a baptistry in his church, unless you count the water painted on the nursery-style wall behind the pulpit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

HammondCheese said:
brianb said:
I'd like to know how these "coverts' are even getting baptized if his church never commits the sin of following up...  And I've never even seen a baptistry in his church, unless you count the water painted on the nursery-style wall behind the pulpit.

Good point.  Maybe he's a "dry-cleaner"?  But since his building is a rental, they probably use a pool.

Twisted said:
HammondCheese said:
brianb said:

Good point.  Maybe he's a "dry-cleaner"?  But since his building is a rental, they probably use a pool.
Well considering the fact that he believes in Pelagianism, he probably just makes sure they were sprinkled as "sinless" babies...  [emoji41]

Baptist City Holdout said:
The mural behind the pulpit is currently the desert scene. Not baptizable.
True...  But neither are his converts.  [emoji1787]

brianb said:
That's where I draw that line, as well.
Conversion is the discipleship process, and it should be around a 3 to 5 year period...like a trade, or BA from University.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

IFB X-Files said:
About 10 years ago I stopped by to take Steve out for lunch.

While he was showing me around his church, he mentioned that they had just had a "soul-winning day" in Gila Bend, AZ.

I responded with something like, "That's great.  How many were saved?"

"Around 80 or so"

"Did you get their names and addresses?"

I can't explain the blank look on his face.  Nope, they got zero names and addresses.

"So how do you know who they are and how do you do any follow-up"?

Blank.

Now I wasn't asking him to go back and knock on each door, etc but at least put them on a mailing list.

"So, these saved people are just left out in the wilderness with no direction?"  (At that time there was no good church in Gila Bend)

Blank.  We then went to lunch.

Personally, I doubt anyone was saved.  Having only having to answer "yes" to their questions, and they then declaring them saved doesn't breed much confidence.

We can thank Prophet for some of this as he claims he had a big impact on Steve at Hammond.  But we can't blame Prophet.

So the easy way out of any responsibility is to preach a message like this.  Now some of it is right.  We can't force ANYONE to come to church.

But to just totally drop them is wrong.

Anyone have a video showing the results of follow-up?  I was at Lancaster for an anniversary service and the highlight was a stream of people who had been reached through door-to-door and FOLLOWED UP!  Many testified that they were only in church and growing in their faith because the church CARED ENOUGH to FOLLOW-UP.
I am at the other end of the spectrum from Steve, on this point.

On a new church plant, getting the new babes ready to assume responsibility, is goal #1

Anderson, good or bad, is one of the few remaining national leaders of IFB-dom.

IFB X-Files said:
Personally, I doubt anyone was saved.

Well, Spamderson probably isn't, either, so at least there is balance.

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you travel across sea and land to make a single proselyte, and when he becomes a proselyte, you make him twice as much a child of hell as yourselves" (Matt. 23:15).

prophet said:
brianb said:
Conversion is the discipleship process, and it should be around a 3 to 5 year period...like a trade, or BA from University.

PROPHET 8:31 - Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word for 3-5 years, then are ye my disciples indeed;

HammondCheese said:
prophet said:
brianb said:

PROPHET 8:31 - Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word for 3-5 years, then are ye my disciples indeed;

"should be"  "around"...

For IFB, this is a lifelong process of being B-slapped from the "pulpit" every few "sermons".

Why would the pimp want his hoes to be self sufficient?

That's bad for bidness, Man.

HammondCheese said:
prophet said:
brianb said:

i kind of always though discipleship was a lifelong journey 

PROPHET 8:31 - Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word for 3-5 years, then are ye my disciples indeed;

i kind of always though discipleship was a lifelong journey 

Either way Anderson will get his chance to defend himself at the Great White Throne.

prophet said:
HammondCheese said:
prophet said:
brianb said:

"should be"  "around"...

For IFB, this is a lifelong process of being B-slapped from the "pulpit" every few "sermons".

Are you implying that IFB churches are full of shallow, carnal followers who have submitted themselves to a dictator obsessed with power and control?  [emoji848]

HammondCheese said:
prophet said:
HammondCheese said:
prophet said:
brianb said:

"should be"  "around"...

Are you implying that IFB churches are full of shallow, carnal followers who have submitted themselves to a dictator obsessed with power and control?  [emoji848]

Nooooo, who would say a thing like that......