Straw Christians

Walt

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
So, a friend of mine who knows that I like to listen to messages, sent me a link to one where the guy was preaching about The Three Little Pigs.

He defined "straw Christians" as some kind of lazy, slacker, Christians as follows:
  • The structure of their Christian life is a "weak facade"
  • Nothing substantial under the shell
  • They are lazy and silly
  • They put no work into building their Christian life
  • They don't go to SS, AM, PM, and Wed services; they look for excuses to miss church
  • They don't go soul-winning
  • They don't attend special meetings (revivals and conferences), unless there is food or a ball game
  • They gossip
  • They criticize the pastor, deacons, standards, and other members
  • They dress decently (modestly) for church, but not at home
  • They don't tithe
  • They are easily offended
  • They don't go forward at invitations
  • They are interested in the things of the world
  • God calls them immature children

There was a time when I thought this was hard preaching, but it seems just spouting off about what the speaker is mad about at the time.

No Scripture was given for any of these points.

Walt said:
There was a time when I thought this was hard preaching, but it seems just spouting off about what the speaker is mad about at the time.

I was going to start a topic based off Steven Anderson's "hard preaching." This is a good definition of it.

Walt said:

"Hard preaching" == "You don't perform for my organ grinding."

-Hard Preaching -
Love your Enemies
Bless them that Persecute you, bless and curse not
Forgive 70 X 7
Overcome Evil with Good
Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they shall be called the Children of God
Give to everyone that asketh of you
One person committs a certain day to God and another gives God every day equally - God is pleased with both
If someone asks for yoru coat, give them your cloak also
If your enemy is hungry or thirsty, give them food or drink
Be content with such things as you have
And Women Shouldn't Wear Britches!!!!  8)

When I was young; fundamental, independent Baptist churches preached against preaching from "Little Bo Peep" or Reader's Digest.  Now, here is one preaching from The Three Little Pigs!

Walt said:
When I was young; fundamental, independent Baptist churches preached against preaching from "Little Bo Peep" or Reader's Digest.  Now, here is one preaching from The Three Little Pigs!

His copy of the Sword was lost in the mail.

Ransom said:
Walt said:

"Hard preaching" == "You don't perform for my organ grinding."
Exactly..

Luk 7:31 ?35
And the Lord said, Whereunto then shall I liken the men of this generation? and to what are they like?
  They are like unto children sitting in the marketplace, and calling one to another, and saying,
We have piped unto you, and ye have not danced; we have mourned to you, and ye have not wept.
  For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
  The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
  But wisdom is justified of all her children.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

Walt said:
So, a friend of mine who knows that I like to listen to messages, sent me a link to one where the guy was preaching about The Three Little Pigs.

He defined "straw Christians" as some kind of lazy, slacker, Christians as follows:
  • They don't go to SS, AM, PM, and Wed services; they look for excuses to miss church
  • They don't attend special meetings (revivals and conferences), unless there is food or a ball game
  • They gossip
  • They don't tithe

Aren't you going to post the link?

16KJV11 said:

No, he's not.  Walt wants you to get your own outlines.

16KJV11 said:
Walt said:

• They gossip
  • They don't tithe

Do you really want it?  I wanted to discuss the ideas, not bash any particular church or person.

But if it'd be helpful or useful, I can look through back emails to find the link.

I did find a link; please let me know if you want me to post it.

Walt said:

• They gossip
  • They don't tithe

I think there is some validity to the points and concept, but perhaps the principles behind them would be more important to preach since those could be presented with Scripture and then the preacher could perhaps make some personal observational application labeled as such. I agree that a Christian who is in Love with Jesus and seeks to carry his cross and follow Jesus would probably do some of the things on that list. A Christian who doesn't study, ignores Church, holds onto his money, etc ... all from a heart of "self" and not "love" for Christ ... he would blow over when the winds of life hit him. But, he who loves Jesus with all his heart and seeks the Lord for his hope and joy will be able to face the trials of this life.

Walt said:
Thank you yes.  I need sermon material for next week!

Tim said:
Walt said:

• They gossip
  • They don't tithe

I think there is some validity to the points and concept, but perhaps the principles behind them would be more important to preach since those could be presented with Scripture and then the preacher could perhaps make some personal observational application labeled as such. I agree that a Christian who is in Love with Jesus and seeks to carry his cross and follow Jesus would probably do some of the things on that list. A Christian who doesn't study, ignores Church, holds onto his money, etc ... all from a heart of "self" and not "love" for Christ ... he would blow over when the winds of life hit him. But, he who loves Jesus with all his heart and seeks the Lord for his hope and joy will be able to face the trials of this life.

I'm not denying that some of the things may be valid for Christians to do, but to use The Three Little Pigs as the basis for the message robs this of authority.  So often, the "don't gossip" and "don't criticize" really translate into "don't exercise Biblical discernment over the decisions I make" and "Don't fellowship with others, especially if you discover that your concerns are widespread"... in short, they are shouting points to control other people.

16KJV11 said:
Walt said:
16KJV11 said:
Walt said:
Thank you yes.  I need sermon material for next week!

This is posted on YouTube; I assume that they have audio only at their web site, but I didn't check.

It appears that the speaker is not the pastor of the church.
Thanks

Have you listened?  Thoughts?