Strom’s Scripture Reading (and More)

S

Strom

I Samuel 4:18 And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that he fell from off the seat backward by the side of the gate, and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years.

Remind me if you would of the purpose of your verse of the day?

Remind me if you would of the purpose of your verse of the day?
I’m trying to read the Bible in entirety for the first time. I’m also posting one verse a day. Random verse each day. I had planned to start in Genesis until I discovered it would take over 85 years to post every verse in the Bible at one per day.

Did your start your goal of reading the Bible by beginning in I Samuel?

Well, it was.
Ok

“What we call randomness is and can only be the unknown cause of a known effect.” Voltaire

Who knew that an atheist superhero could attest to such a theologically sound principle. ;)

Ok

“What we call randomness is and can only be the unknown cause of a known effect.” Voltaire

Who knew that an atheist superhero could attest to such a theologically sound principle. ;)
I may joke around about a lot of stuff, but I won’t when it comes to God or Bible verses.

I'm gonna have to put this thread on ignore. I follow Greg Koukl's advice to never read a Bible verse.

He's actually trying to be helpful and demonstrate to you a very good hermeneutical (rules for how to interpret) principle. To read a verse in isolation (apart from context) is an EXTREMELY bad theological idea.
I see. My apologies.

I see. My apologies.
It would help to keep in mind when you post these verses, they should be applicable to people's lives. It's easy at times to make the mistake you made. No sweat!

He's actually trying to be helpful and demonstrate to you a very good hermeneutical (rules for how to interpret) principle. To read a verse in isolation (apart from context) is an EXTREMELY bad theological idea.
very true.... and what many people don;t realize is that the chapter and verse divisions we see in the bible today were not there in the original versions..... the old testament books were first divided into chapter and verse in AD 900 by a rabbi namde ben asher.... but the version of chapter and verse divisions we have today in both old and new testaments, were done in 1227 AD by the archbishop of canterbury.... stephen langton... ..the wycliff english bible of 1382 was the first bible to use this pattern of dividing chapter and verse

i say all that to say this....... the chapter and verse divisions of the bible so beloved by many bible scholars and students alike were not inspired...... .. the bible was inspired and written as books........ . and i believe it should be studied the same way a book would be.... .....the chopping up of scripture into these numbered segments may have the effect of making referencing easier... but it also enabled the cults who would take a single verse out of context.. or a small set of verses, and create a false doctrine..... ...... ...

Last edited:
the chapter and verse divisions we see in the bible today were not there in the original versions
The Bible did not have chapters and verses? Are you saying it was just books of run-on sentences?