Students that didn't belong at HAC

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I'm sure we all have at least one story about a student that was sent to HAC by a parent or pastor, but that student definitely didn't belong there.  They may have had no idea what they were getting into.  They may have developed an "I don't care attitude" and got expelled.  They may have just quit and headed for home.  Please share your stories with us!

Just about all of Malone three in the early 90s LOL

Well, how is this to be taken?

If a person didn't belong at HAC, is this a compliment?

Whereas if a person DID belong there, does this mean that they would be considered a true blue Hacker?

I had a roommate that was a true Hacker.  He was a senior.  A guy from his church came as a freshman.  He roomed with us.  His name was Boyd.  Boyd was given the "you need to go to one year of Bible college" line by those back home.  Boyd did not have any desire to go to one year of Bible college.  He was not a trouble maker or rebel.  He was just a good old boy who wanted to stay home and get a job.

The pastor called the senior and told him to take Boyd under his wing.  Boyd needed to get a job.  I believe the church had paid his first tuition payment.  The senior would constantly try to pump Boyd up.  The senior would leave for church right after lunch.  I can still hear him saying, "Boyd, are you going job hunting today?  Make sure you get out there and pound the pavement".  Boyd would say, "Yes, I am!".  They would both walk out of the dorm room together to head to the parking lot.  Within 10 minutes Boyd would return to the room, get in his shorts, cover up, and take a nap.

Needless to say, Boyd only lasted a few months! 

In September, 1979 my earthling spouse and I were on a 30-day leave and travelled across the country.  One of our stops was to visit Calvary Chapel in Minster, Ohio, then pastored by Ron Boldman.  While there a young man was presented a briefcase as a gift and we were all told he was going to HAC.  Now I'm not sure when he started.  It could have been the Spring of 80 or the Fall of 80.

Anyway, I saw the kid when I arrived in the Fall of 81.  Then he disappeared.  I later saw him at church and found out he had got a job at that Star Theatre place, started wearing an earring, dressed effeminate and smelled like he wore perfume.  I never saw him again after that.

I don't know if he didn't belong at HAC or just went wild after he got there.  I think about him from time-to-time and wonder what became of him.

The first person that I thought of was David Hyles.

Wolf in with the chickens.

bgwilkinson said:

And there you go.......................shutting down the thread.

You win!!!!

They used to tell the students that they would be expelled for kissing a girl. They said we will also expel you if you DONT want to kiss a girl. I was a little older but believe me, there were a few students who did NOT want to kiss girls. No names will be mentioned.

Well, there was this one student who hung around the ping pong tables all the time. Went by the nickname of the Oakland football club. Totally at the wrong school. Much more of a Moody type of guy...

bgwilkinson said:

And he was secretly given an honorary Bachelor's Degree when he failed to graduate. No, that is not a joke.

BALAAM said:
They used to tell the students that they would be expelled for kissing a girl. They said we will also expel you if you DONT want to kiss a girl. I was a little older but believe me, there were a few students who did NOT want to kiss girls. No names will be mentioned.

But then he evolved into a Hacker and now reigns as their king.

True story.

I always wondered if he had been given a degree. I guess I am surprised it wasn't a Doctorate.

Vince Massi said:
bgwilkinson said:

And he was secretly given an honorary Bachelor's Degree when he failed to graduate. No, that is not a joke.

Tom Brennan said:
Well, there was this one student who hung around the ping pong tables all the time. Went by the nickname of the Oakland football club. Totally at the wrong school. Much more of a Moody type of guy...

What a stinkin (I love that word) liberal!

patriotic said:
BALAAM said:

But then he evolved into a Hacker and now reigns as their king.

True story.

And all the people said

AMEN!

I was there from 82-86 and saw lots of folks come (and go) that should not have been there.  They were forced by their parents and/or preacher/youth director....

Ironically enough, some were male and did not want to kiss girls.

Interesting thread. What was the standard of who belonged and who did not? Nobody knew. Over the years HAC enrolled hundreds of thousands and these people conformed to the college and became useful servants of God. There were others who were labeled as can't miss great preachers and flunked out.

I was told on more than one occasion that I did not belong there. But I graduated and finished and believe that if any of those people were to visit my church next Sunday I would warmly welcome them.

Maybe the post should read, people who didn't finish and everyone knew they shouldn't finish. Who knows.

Raider is just trying to generate posts.

I had a roommate my sophomore year. Let's call him Chuck. (Not his real name)
A freshman to HAC in his mid to late 20's, Chuck had traveled the previous summer with Evangelist Randy Taylor. Before he walked into that room in 1987 I had never heard of Randy Taylor. But it was soon evident that Chuck should not have been in HAC or any other college. Bless his heart he could hardly read. He had been a victim of abuse and had issues about sleeping. He could not pass his classes and there was no guidance counselor to help him. Chuck had a job that paid his school bill so they kept him around.

One day after chapel I passed the info desk and saw 2 marine MP's talking with security. They called Chuck out of Church Ed class, handcuffed him and took him away. 5 hours later, Chuck came back to campus. I asked him what had happened. He said that in August he had joined the Marine Corp, been sworn in, then started traveling with Randy Taylor and never showed up to go to basic. They had finally found him. They gave him a dishonorable discharge and let him go. Soon after that Chuck left HAC. I've wondered what happened to him.

Tennessean said:
Interesting thread. What was the standard of who belonged and who did not? Nobody knew.

Oh, yes, there were some that you just knew didn't belong at a place with the standards of HAC.  Everybody knew!

I had a roommate at Baptist City that was a freshman.  His mom, dad, and pastor "made" him come to HAC for a year.  He did not want to be there.  He was one of these "good old boys".  I can remember going to bed at night and I could hear his transistor radio playing country music as he listened through his earpiece.  One day I came back to the dorm after classes and his upper arm was bandaged.  He had gotten a tattoo that day.  Nope, he didn't belong at HAC and he was soon heading back home.

There was this girl from Ypsilanti, Michigan whose father is a millionaire.  She shouldn't have been there.