Support for Other Versions

Binaca Chugger said:
All the while, I am sitting there just thinking: "So much for better translation with more understandable words."  Why not just use the version that accurately portrays the principle?

And be accused of jumping back and forth to whatever version best supports the meaning he's already assumed Scripture has?

You can't win for losing with the KJV clowns.

Ransom said:
Binaca Chugger said:
All the while, I am sitting there just thinking: "So much for better translation with more understandable words."  Why not just use the version that accurately portrays the principle?

And be accused of jumping back and forth to whatever version best supports the meaning he's already assumed Scripture has?

You can't win for losing with the KJV clowns.
I don't understand your response.  My statement was simply: If you believe the context of the text to be supported by the very words chosen by most translations, why not use that translation?

My other thought was, and continues to be: The KJV is a very accurate and readable translation.  If so, why do we need any other?  Especially when we need to use the KJV to explain the newer version!

Just a thought.

Because it's not a very accurate and readable translation?

rsc2a said:

Yet, the version chosen to explain the others is the KJV.  Interesting, isn't it?

Binaca Chugger said:
rsc2a said:

Yet, the version chosen to explain the others is the KJV.  Interesting, isn't it?

How is the command "Stay Awake" any different from "Watch"?

Binaca Chugger said:
I don't understand your response.  My statement was simply: If you believe the context of the text to be supported by the very words chosen by most translations, why not use that translation?

My answer was simply: Because then he would be accused of jumping back and forth to whatever Bible supports the meaning he's already assumed Scripture has. You can't win for losing with the KJV clowns.

Little Bible Church in a little no where corner of no where hires a man to be their pastor. He tells them upfront that he is KJVO and he will use the pulpit to fight for it. Give him points for honesty.

Anyway, my daughter goes to visit. His "sermon" is on the subject of the word charity versus love. He spent 45 minutes detailing the nuanced differences between the two words and how America needs to learn to proper meaning of charity so that they can understand the KJV. He wrapped up the "message" by challenging anyone who might disagree to meet him after so he could pin their ears back (I am not making this up).

On her way home my daughter replayed his "preaching" in her mind and realized that he never even made any attempt to challenge his people to have charity. Not surprising since he didn't display any in his quest to point out the failure of the word love to convey the meaning of charity.

FSSL said:
Binaca Chugger said:
rsc2a said:

How is the command "Stay Awake" any different from "Watch"?

Supposing we were in combat together, sharing the same foxhole, I would hope that the night watchman does more than stay awake.  I would hope that he would watch.

subllibrm said:
Little Bible Church in a little no where corner of no where hires a man to be their pastor. He tells them upfront that he is KJVO and he will use the pulpit to fight for it. Give him points for honesty.

Anyway, my daughter goes to visit. His "sermon" is on the subject of the word charity versus love. He spent 45 minutes detailing the nuanced differences between the two words and how America needs to learn to proper meaning of charity so that they can understand the KJV. He wrapped up the "message" by challenging anyone who might disagree to meet him after so he could pin their ears back (I am not making this up).

On her way home my daughter replayed his "preaching" in her mind and realized that he never even made any attempt to challenge his people to have charity. Not surprising since he didn't display any in his quest to point out the failure of the word love to convey the meaning of charity.

This, of course, is an example of what Ransom would call a KJV clown.  These people are missing the whole point of the Bible to argue for their position.  Such an one is a professional antagonizer, stirring up strife for  the sole purpose of strife.

Binaca Chugger said:
Supposing we were in combat together, sharing the same foxhole, I would hope that the night watchman does more than stay awake.  I would hope that he would watch.

The commands "stay awake" and "watch" (whatever word you want to use), both have the idea of "alertness." It is an idiom.

It is not much of a distinction. It does not distinguish the KJV as being the better Bible. The NIV also uses "watch." The NET says "stay alert." NASB95 "be on the alert"

There IS much color to this command when VARIOUS translations are consulted.

FSSL said:
Binaca Chugger said:

The commands "stay awake" and "watch" (whatever word you want to use), both have the idea of "alertness." It is an idiom.

It is not much of a distinction. It does not distinguish the KJV as being the better Bible. The NIV also uses "watch." The NET says "stay alert." NASB95 "be on the alert"

There is much color to a command when various references, commentaries and other sources are consulted.  This is part of Bible study that is so enjoyable.  I do think this is an example of the KJV NOT being a poorly translated, outdated version.

It seems that the only support we can muster for modern versions is readability.  Yet, apparently - at least this one pastor felt, the reader of newer versions must consult the KJV to discover the more "colorful" meaning of a command.  Thus, is the newer version really more readable? 

FSSL said:
Binaca Chugger said:

Watch alone can seem very passive (spectator faith). Add in all the other synonyms and the idea of active participation in the command is striking.

Binaca Chugger said:
  Yet, apparently - at least this one pastor felt, the reader of newer versions must consult the KJV to discover the more "colorful" meaning of a command.

Pastors say the darndest things!