Taking the Name of The LORD thy God in vain.

prophet

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Serious discussion:

Since "take" doesn't mean "say",
What does this mean?

Since a saved person can't be held guilty, by God, and The LORD will not hold him guiltless, that takes His name in vain,...Can a saved person even do this?

Since God's name isn't "God", why do people insist on insinuating that saying the word "God" in a casual manner is somehow a cardinal sin?

Earnestly Contend

Well we do not have to look very far to find out the name of the supreme deity. Moses asked Him and He replied I AM THAT I AM. ??? The LORD God of your fathers 

???? yeho?va?h
BDB Definition: Jehovah = ?the existing One?
1) the proper name of the one true God
1a) unpronounced except with the vowel pointings of H136
Part of Speech: noun proper deity
A Related Word by BDB/Strong?s Number: from H1961
Same Word by TWOT Number: 484a

Exo 3:13
"The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
Exo 3:14 
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

Exo 3:15 
And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

bgwilkinson said:
Well we do not have to look very far to find out the name of the supreme deity. Moses asked Him and He replied I AM THAT I AM. ??? The LORD God of your fathers 

???? yeho?va?h
BDB Definition: Jehovah = ?the existing One?
1) the proper name of the one true God
1a) unpronounced except with the vowel pointings of H136
Part of Speech: noun proper deity
A Related Word by BDB/Strong?s Number: from H1961
Same Word by TWOT Number: 484a

Exo 3:13
"The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?
Exo 3:14 
And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you."

Exo 3:15 
And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
Good start....this would be the name that the Israelites were told they would not be held guiltless if they took in vain.

Earnestly Contend