Tell an Inspiring Story

Jo

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Recent studies have shown that it is helpful for each of us to tell our stories. Below is one of mine. When I was much younger, I worked as a legal secretary in a large metropolis. I tell this story in hopes it will help someone else. The names have all been changed. I was devastated when it happened because my mother was mentally ill. I assumed "Joe's" journey would be like my mothers.

My work day started as I began to listen to my boss's recording. I took dictation and the earplugs were all set to go. I turned on the machine and heard "Joe" say, "Take a letter. B I N G O." I took out the earplugs and quietly laughed. Joe was always very serious and professional, especially with any recordings he made. Intrigued, I listened further. I could hear his children in the background as he continued to record nonsensical information, which was not the norm. I put the dictation aside and discovered a little later that Joe was walking towards me with an empty glass. He had an entourage. He said, "Get me water from the good fountain." I looked at the assistant seated next to me and said, "The good fountain? Is there something I need to know?" As the day unfolded, I learned that Joe was having a nervous breakdown. He was whisked away to a nearby mental facility where he stayed for three weeks. The firm I worked for in the 90s had 4 floors filled with the brightest and smartest attorneys. They were mostly white conservative males. Joe was no exception. He had always been kind and professional to the staff and his colleagues. He had an excellent reputation, and it was an honor to work for him. I talked with Joe's wife who sounded like she was trying to keep herself together while caring for Joe.
I walked around the hallway and heard one of his younger colleagues shout into the phone, "They just took Joe to the mental hospital!" I closed “Sean’s” door. I did not close it gently.
Joe deserved the respect that he had always shown others. He stayed at the hospital and received the help he needed. I learned he was bipolar. The first day he came back to work, he looked a bit like a fish out of water. I found a card that I placed in his chair upon his return. It had a quote by Abraham Lincoln, and I happened to know Joe liked Lincoln.

“The better part of one's life consists of his friendships.” - Abraham Lincoln

In the card, I wrote: "Glad you're back. You are among friends."
As the days and months went on, Joe conquered any stigmas that mental illness may have had. As the years went on, he became managing partner of the very large, very successful law firm. He could have given up, but he chose to move forward. In doing so, he helped all of us follow his lead.
By the way, “Joe” died a few years back from cancer.

Awesome story and awesome of you to welcome him back in a way he could truly appreciate.

I may contribute to this thread in due time, but for now just let me say that I think it was a fantastic idea for a thread (particularly to liven up the fellowship forum to usefulness akin to days-gone-by of the FFF).

I may contribute to this thread in due time, but for now just let me say that I think it was a fantastic idea for a thread (particularly to liven up the fellowship forum to usefulness akin to days-gone-by of the FFF).
i thought about doing that too when i saw this thread.... of course i will have to edit my usual thesis length posts to what would be half a term paper... ..or maybe a quarter.... ..

Acts of kindness are remembered.
This past summer, I ran into a friend from elementary school. We were in the group that played sports - baseball, basketball, soccer, football. He lives out of town and I knew he was going to be close by, so I made some time to go meet up with him. He runs a frisbee-dog act and regularly performs during halftime at NFL & NCAA games. He was doing a county fair about an hour away. I hadn't seen him in close to 25 years, so we summarized our lives since then. When we were ready to head our separate ways, he said "You might not remember this, but back in 6th grade when I was bullied by the rest of the guys, you were the only one that would talk to me at all and hang out with me at lunch break. I'll never forget that." I did remember that but hadn't thought much about it. I don't remember doing it intentionally as an act of kindness or anything - was just being a friend. It was a good reminder to me how little things can make a lasting impression. It was a lesson I shared with my 4 kids.

Who doesn't love their own mother, right? Nonetheless, she is by many folks' accounts an inspiration. She is 82, had a kidney removed last year due to cancer, and is fighting a different form of cancer right now. Top that off with the fact she is (unbeknownst to her) facing early onset dementia. She didn't have the best marriage to my dad, but despite that tremendous struggle, us boys always saw a kind, hardworking, even-tempered, honest, well...you get the idea. On to the task of answering the OP...

One of the serious adjustments of life is trying to adjust to her dementia-related repetitive nature, and in that scheme of things we try to get out of the house daily to do somethings she likes to do, like pick ALAYboy (her teenage grandson) from school. On a recent excursion for that purpose we stopped by a local grocery place that is a budget-oriented store near a run-down part of town where mom raised us boys. The customer-base is often those of a poorer demographic, and all that that means, if you get my drift (and nothing wrong with that, but you'll often see some "interesting" things with them). We grabbed a couple of essentials and headed to the checkout, and it was a bit backed up, with only one lane open for customers. I was on a schedule, having to get to the school and pick up ALAYboy, then back to home to resume my telework responsibilities. With those normal everyday expectations and the usual stuff of life I was stressin' a little bit, waiting in line, when the older lady in front of us (who was obviously by her appearance struggling in life, and she smelled of b.o.) dropped a glass of some liquid food product and it shattered all over the floor. Mom immediately jumped into action to help her, and eventually got one of the store staff to get the cleanup started. Mom retired as a clerk from a "day-old" bread store just a block from this place. She reassured the poor old lady that it was no big deal and it happens to the best of us. We scooted around the mess and moved up in line, just behind the older lady who was now a little frazzled and a bit embarrassed. The lady put her stuff up on the conveyor for checkout. In the course of placing her food items on the conveyor she discovered one of the powdered bags of food-stuff was "leaking" and when she went to move it out of the way of her other food items it completely busted and now the conveyor was a mess! I was getting a bit miffed, thinking I am going to be late to pick up ALAYboy, and how this little grocery store excursion had been so unnecessary, yet was the culprit for what was surely gonna make me late. Mom was undeterred, reaching up with some cloth/tissue from her purse and immediately helping clean the mess up, all the while speaking words of encouragement and kindness to the frustrated older lady. That second mess was shortly thereafter handled, and we got checked out, as mom proceeded to continue to ask the lady if she needed any help and tell her to go on and not worry , as well as to have a blessed day. I don't know how that lady's day turned out, but mom tried to make it a little better, with words and deeds. I could tell you scores of stories like this about her, but suffice it to say, people like her make a difference in people's lives, I can testify personally to that! To have a mother who knows all that is demanded of good moms is an irreplaceable blessing! I was in all-business mode (like the Martha and Mary biblical narrative), but mom showed what life is really about, and she does it regularly in word and deed. What a witness to the love of Christ.

As you consider telling your story, keep Teddy Roosevelt's quote in mind.
“It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself in a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.”

There is a poster that we have here on the FFF who has one of the most inspirational stories that you will ever hear. Many of us oldtimers know their story already, but I guarantee you there are plenty of new lurkers and onlookers that have never heard their testimony before. I hope they tell their story, but completely understand if they want to keep their privacy.😊

Was doing some sermon prep a couple of weeks ago and discovered this story....

Shortly after Dallas Theological Seminary was founded in 1924, it almost folded. It came to the point of bankruptcy. All the creditors were ready to foreclose at twelve noon on a particular day. That morning, the founders of the school met in the president’s office (Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer) to pray that God would provide. In that prayer meeting was Harry Ironside. When it was his turn to pray, he said in his refreshingly candid way, “Lord we know that the cattle on a thousand hills are Thine. Please sell some of them and send us the money.”
Just about that time, a tall Texan in boots and an open-collar shirt strolled into the business office. “Howdy!” he said to the secretary. “I just sold two carloads of cattle over in Fort Worth. I’ve been trying to make a business deal go through, but it just won’t work. I feel God wants me to give this money to the seminary. I don’t know if you need it or not, but here’s the check,” and he handed it over.
The secretary took the check and, knowing something of the critical nature of the hour, went to the door of the prayer meeting and timidly tapped. Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer, the founder and president of the school, answered the door and took the check from her hand. When he looked at the amount, it was for the exact sum of the debt. Then he recognized the name on the check as that of the cattleman. Turning to Dr. Ironside, he said, “Harry, God sold the cattle.”

Of course it is wise to vet information before merely repeating it, even if done with pure motives, so in the interest of telling the Paul Harvey ("rest of the story") here is some clarification to how this story came into circulation....

DTS: Yesterday and Tomorrow

Still a very interesting and inspirational story of how God sovereignly works when we don't always know what is going on "behind the scenes".