Tennessee Temple University May Leave [Land Locked Property] in Highland Park

GenX

Elect
Reaction score
Tennessee Temple University May Leave Highland Park For Woodland Park Baptist Church Campus

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Tennessee Temple University may leave its longtime home in Highland Park for a new campus at Woodland Park Baptist Church, the church congregation was told Sunday.

Dr. Wayne Barber, Woodland Park pastor, and Dr. Steve Echols, TTU president, both spoke on the topic during the morning worship service.

They said talks are underway that would have Temple sell its campus with over 20 acres and move by the church, which has 170 acres on Standifer Gap Road.

TTU once had over 4,000 students, but the enrollment has dropped to just over 400.

Tennessee Temple School earlier closed. Highland Park Baptist Church, which was long the supporting church for TTU, earlier this year sold its holdings in Highland Park and moved out to its Camp Joy property.

Under the plan, Woodland Park Baptist Church would take a role of involvement in the school to seek to help rebuilt its enrollment and mission of training young people for Christian service.

Some of the Woodland Park facilities might initially be used for some classroom and office space, it was stated.

Tennessee Temple has begun to shop its property, which includes a number of offices, dorms and gyms.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/9/15/259202/Tennessee-Temple-University-May-Leave.aspx

Thanks GenX. When I was a student there, a good many years ago, my wife and I lived just a few blocks from the campus. We would walk through the neighborhoods without fear. The houses were in good repair on the streets around the campus, and it was a good setting for the school. But, I don't think the students feel safe there now. Some of the parents of prospective students might feel that way too. For that reason I think this would be a good move for the school.

Yes, I think moving the residential campus will help keep students in a safe haven so they can think better without all of the commotion given off by emergency vehicles racing around Highland Park. However, it will take huge partnerships to generate the capital to build a campus.

I think that building a campus in phases for each division in phases is the way to go. It may take 10 million to get started, who knows?