The All Star game is in Cincinnati....

Citadel of Truth

Elect
Reaction score
....do you think it's time for Charlie Hustle to be put on the ballot for the Hall of Fame? Do you think he should be allowed back into the game of baseball in some capacity? 

Citadel of Truth said:
....do you think it's time for Charlie Hustle to be put on the ballot for the Hall of Fame? Do you think he should be allowed back into the game of baseball in some capacity?

I would agree so until a couple weeks ago when the bookies logs came out and Rose was proven to have lied all this time.

Now on principle, I think he should wait until he is gone before enshrinement.

Smellin Coffee said:
I would agree so until a couple weeks ago when the bookies logs came out and Rose was proven to have lied all this time.

I can't argue with that - he certainly has been less than honest. He did say that he always bet on his team to win, meaning that he never intentionally threw a game as a player or made decisions as a manager that would cost the Reds a game. Whether or not he's being truthful about this is anyone's guess.

I think that the 25 year ban is sufficient punishment. If he's deserving of the HoF (and there is no question that he was a HoF caliber player), I'd rather see him get it while he and his fans can enjoy it rather than receive it posthumously. 

Citadel of Truth said:
Smellin Coffee said:

I can't argue with that - he certainly has been less than honest. He did say that he always bet on his team to win, meaning that he never intentionally threw a game as a player or made decisions as a manager that would cost the Reds a game. Whether or not he's being truthful about this is anyone's guess.

I think that the 25 year ban is sufficient punishment. If he's deserving of the HoF (and there is no question that he was a HoF caliber player), I'd rather see him get it while he and his fans can enjoy it rather than receive it posthumously.

I agree.

I always thought it was a shame that Ron Santo got passed over year after year by the Veterans Committee only to finally be enshrined after his death. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to another deserving player. Does betting on baseball somehow negate the record setting numbers Pete Rose accumulated during his career. While some may say "yes," I say "No they do not!!"

Smellin Coffee said:

Agreed. Gambling almost killed baseball in the last century's teens. It must continue to maintain a hard line on those who break those rules.

Citadel of Truth said:

I was for Rose being enshrined as a player until it came out he gambled on the game as a player. His accomplishments can be remembered in the HOF without letting in a player who broke the rule that almost ruined baseball.  Before that I could distinguish between Rose the player and Rose the manager. There is not a distinction now.

Absolutely not.

The fact that he has continuously lied about his involvement in gambling for 25 years is evident of his character and "respect" for the game. Plus he's a real jerk. Keep him out.

Citadel of Truth said:

Nope.

I am a big Cincinnati Reds fan.  I am a fan of the Reds because of Pete Rose.  As much as I want to see him in the Hall of Fame, I have to agree with Smellin.  If he bet as a manager after his playing days were over, it is one thing.  The new "evidence" points to him betting while he was a player.

Pete is a self promoter.  He is all about the $$$.  Being a Hall of Famer gives you an avenue to make much more $$$.  I believe MLB knows this and they will keep him out of the Hall until he passes on.

I grew up in LA but hated the Dodgers. I was really a Giants fan because Willy Mays was my childhood hero (although sadly I missed his prime). So when the Big Red Machines were the rivals in the NL Western Division I became a Reds fan. I liked Rose because of his hustle.  As we got older together not so much.

Just John said:
I grew up in LA but hated the Dodgers. I was really a Giants fan because Willy Mays was my childhood hero (although sadly I missed his prime). So when the Big Red Machines were the rivals in the NL Western Division I became a Reds fan. I liked Rose because of his hustle.  As we got older together not so much.

My first baseball game was when I was a patrol boy in school and we went to Crosley Field for Patrol Boy Day.  SF played the Reds.  All I remember was Willie Mays striking out and throwing his bat down and stomping on it.

IFB X-Files said:
Just John said:

My first baseball game was when I was a patrol boy in school and we went to Crosley Field for Patrol Boy Day.  SF played the Reds.  All I remember was Willie Mays striking out and throwing his bat down and stomping on it.

Thanks for the story.  I really wish I could have seen him in his prime. I think he retired when I was 10 and back then you didn't see many of out market games on TV. Heck, you didn't many in-market games back then.  :)

Now I hope to live to see the end of a long career for Mike Trout. 

It is a travesty that Alan Trammel and Jack Morris are not in Cooperstown.

Recovering IFB said:
Are you ready for some football?

Really? I am a Lions fan. What is there to look forward too?  ;)

Actually, my local high school has a standout program. 6 trips to the State Championship with 3 wins. Something like 16 straight years in the playoffs. Coach has never lost the season opening game since coming here.

Oh and we have a strong MSU team and Harbuagh's return to Ann Arbor to pay some attention to.

subllibrm said:
It is a travesty that Alan Trammel and Jack Morris are not in Cooperstown.

I wish Trammel was in Cooperstown.  I have his rookie card.  :)

Recovering IFB said:
Are you ready for some football?

I love MLB but don't much care about the NFL.  I am looking forward to NCAA football though.