The "Amen Corner"

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
In the HAC chapel to the left of the preacher on the main floor was a fan shaped seating area that became known as the "Amen Corner".  Students who sat there were famous for yelling out during the service.  What are your memories of the "Amen Corner".  Did you ever sit in the "Amen Corner"?

I'm an HB punk. As far in the back as I could get is where I sat.

Seeing Brian Hasse fight Ernie "porckchop" Portlock in the middle of the Amen Corner.

I remember my husband INSISTED we sit there after we got married and I was the only girl there and felt so stupid.

SwampHag said:
I remember my husband INSISTED we sit there after we got married and I was the only girl there and felt so stupid.

I knew you were a stinkin' Hacker!!

I was a founding member when the new auditorium was opened.

I will try to remember stories like......If someone came into Chapel a little late & tried to grab a seat in the middle of a pew they got the back of their leg pinched by everyone they climbed over.

Now you know why they moved so fast & why you'd had better be on time.

fishinnut said:
I was a founding member when the new auditorium was opened.

I will try to remember stories like......If someone came into Chapel a little late & tried to grab a seat in the middle of a pew they got the back of their leg pinched by everyone they climbed over.

Now you know why they moved so fast & why you'd had better be on time.

I remember seeing you guys doing that.  The guy sliding in would be squirming with pain on his face.  :)

It was funny watching someone fall asleep & there was alway the wise guy next to him who would wake him up with something like, "They just called on you to stand!"

And up they'd go.........

And down....................even quicker. :D

Some unknown preacher would come out to preach so for some unknown reason guys in The Amen Corner would throw their Bibles up in the air.....

Never got that! ::)

Bill Grady usually sat on the front row with Jack Patterson & Gomez watching & learning when he wasn't telling jokes.

When I was a freshman I sat in the Amen Section once or twice.  I just wanted to be able to say I did it.  Once or twice was enough for me.  :)

I never sat in the Amen section. Well, until after I had graduated and I was bitter that Bro. Hyles told me to stay around until I found a wife. I could sit over there and hurl my smart remarks with abandon because everyone else around me was doing the same thing. Hopefully their hearts were in better shape than mine at the time...

Teri in NC said:
SwampHag said:

NO way, Jose!!

True story.  I am still bitter.

I was there from 1999 - 2002.  The "amen section"  still had it's name but had lost most of its reputation.  I sat there every service anyway!

Tom Brennan said:
I never sat in the Amen section. Well, until after I had graduated and I was bitter that Bro. Hyles told me to stay around until I found a wife. I could sit over there and hurl my smart remarks with abandon because everyone else around me was doing the same thing. Hopefully their hearts were in better shape than mine at the time...
Bet you got over that bitterness!

Tom Brennan said:

Tom,

The question I have is, "If Bro. Hyles told you to find a wife, and at least 50% of the HAC students were girls, What were you doing in the 'Amen' section when everyone knows that no single women ever sat there?" That Amen section was a total female repellant.

LOL, have a good day my Brother.

Tennessean said:
Tom,

The question I have is, "If Bro. Hyles told you to find a wife, and at least 50% of the HAC students were girls, What were you doing in the 'Amen' section when everyone knows that no single women ever sat there?" That Amen section was a total female repellant.

LOL, have a good day my Brother.

I was soothing my wounded bitter spirit amongst a whole bunch of other guys who all thought we were too spiritual to find a wife...

My plan was a disaster. But God's plan has worked out spectacularly these fifteen years...  :D

Watching The Masters today on www.themasters.com & haven't heard a single AMEN on Amen Corner.

Good golf but the HAC Amen Corner at HAC in the late 70's had some real AMEN'S.

"Amen Corner" brings back Stan Harris to my memory. I shared a room with him at B.C. my first year and I've always wondered what became of him.