The American Flag and the Pledge

sword

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I almost posted this on the church fights thread, but did not want to steal the topic.
That thread discussed a pastor removing the American flag from the platform among other things.
I'm just curious how people feel about the American flag and the pledge.

What feelings do you all have regarding the American flag in church, Christian schools, public schools, or how about someone's personal home?

Is the issue with the flag at church mixing patriotism with church and worship or is it something deeper? What about the Christian flag? The Pledge of Allegiance?

What about patriotic songs in church around 4th of July, Memorial day, Veterans day or any other day for that matter?

What Say Ye

We sing the national anthem on the Sundays closest to Canada Day and Remembrance Day (July 1 and Nov. 11).

We have a Canadian flag--along with the flag of every other country where we have missionaries, and they come out for Missions Week every November.

Beyond that there's no overt displays of patriotism. Inside the church walls, we're a different nation, a holy one (1 Pet. 2:9).

People have such a fetish for the American flag. It's just a flag that represents a sinful nation. Keep it off the platform which is meant solely for the preaching of the Holy Bible.

I almost posted this on the church fights thread, but did not want to steal the topic.
That thread discussed a pastor removing the American flag from the platform among other things.
I'm just curious how people feel about the American flag and the pledge.

What feelings do you all have regarding the American flag in church, Christian schools, public schools, or how about someone's personal home?

Is the issue with the flag at church mixing patriotism with church and worship or is it something deeper? What about the Christian flag? The Pledge of Allegiance?

What about patriotic songs in church around 4th of July, Memorial day, Veterans day or any other day for that matter?

What Say Ye

In some IFB churches worship of a flag or nation can usurp worship of God. I think the flag probably should't be on the platform but fine with it displayed elsewhere in the building.

We fly the American Flag (though there may come a day when we don't do that). We say the pledge on Memorial Day and Veterans Day. We honor our vets and am proud to do so.

I love the US flag and I love America (in spite of how far it has drifted).
I have wondered myself whether patriotic songs are proper in churches.

Take the children and yourself, and hide out in the cellar
By now the fighting will be close at hand
Don't believe the church and state, and everything they tell you
Believe in me, I'm with the high command

There's a gun and ammunition just inside the doorway
Use it only in emergency
Better you should pray to God, the Father and the Spirit
Will guide you and protect you from up here

Swear allegiance to the flag, whatever flag they offer
Never hint at what you really feel
Teach the children quietly, for some day sons and daughters
Will rise up and fight while we stand still