The Anti Creed lie of the IFB

PappaBear said:
Somehow, going over the Westminster shorter catechism or the London Baptist Confession is what our Lord had in mind with that.

Nothing like a good Freudian slip to make my evening.

PappaBear said:
So, you believe the man who said "Sola Scriptura" was an IFB?!?

I kind of place you in the "Solum Patres" camp.  Those who seem to consistently elevate their creeds and patristic writings far above the Word of God.

Baptist history has long been filled with teaching the priesthood of the believer and the freedom of conscience.  That is not a uniquely IFB thing.  But creedalism lies in direct opposition to both of those Baptist distinctives by attempting to force and demand adherence to certain humanist teachings.

We don't need the Calvinists to ram their forced interpretations down our throats or burn us at the stake for disagreeing a' la' Michael Servetus (His ashes still cry out!).  According to the word of God, we still have God to guide us.

John 16:13  Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Somehow, going over the Westminster shorter catechism or the London Baptist Confession is what our Lord had in mind with that.

Does your church have a statement of faith?
Do you require members to hold to it or at least not kick against the goad about it?

If you answered yes to the first are you not a creedal church?
If you answered yes to the second are you not violating the priesthood of the believer and freedom of conscious?

Does your church have a statement of faith?
Yes
Do you require members to hold to it or at least not kick against the goad about it?
Yes
If you answered yes to the first are you not a creedal church?
No
If you answered yes to the second are you not violating the priesthood of the believer and freedom of conscious?
No.

Big difference between what a local congregation believes and practices and limits its membership to, and forcing others to conform by law or burning at the stake  those who disagree.    If you don't like or agree with a church's statement of faith, you do NOT have to join it or remain associated with it.  That is a voluntary statement of conscience held in agreement.  The priesthood of the believer allows individual believers to disagree and go associate with whom they will.  However, that is not such an easy or healthy option if you are a 16th century resident of Geneva.

Papa Bear is creedal, but gets hung up on the word.

FSSL said:
Papa Bear is creedal, but gets hung up on the word.
Well...
Ronald Reagan said it best...

[youtube]OzXPWZ0HKts[/youtube]

sword said:
FSSL:

I've been a independant baptist for nearly 50 years and I have only heard that phrase two or three times including your post.

I have to agree -- I've seldom heard that phrase.  I HAVE heard some preaching against denominations that adhere more to a creed than to the Bible.

bgwilkinson said:
IFBs of the last 40 years tend to be anti-intellectual which seems to limit how much one might study history, especially Baptist History.

Nearly all of the resources for proper study of Baptist or Church history is now readily available to anyone with a computer and internet connection.

My former pastor would mock those who were educated thus promoting an anti-intellectualism that has permeated many IFB groups for decades.

Hyles, of course, being very strongly anti-intellectual.

PappaBear said:
Ronald Reagan said it best...

Don't quote Regan until you show us your "birth certificate."

What is the Statement of Faith your church uses? No need to name the church or give us that info... You are free to copy and paste it here.