The Arrogance of Pastors

I once heard a preacher proclaim that the President of the USA could not fill his auditorium every week like he could.

fishinnut said:
I once heard a preacher proclaim that the President of the USA could not fill his auditorium every week like he could.

Was Obama prez?  Not saying much.

fishinnut said:
Twisted said:
fishinnut said:
No.....JH said it.
I suspect this was just hyperbole, not pure pride or arrogance. Jack Hyles did this often and his members ate it up. Regardless of you view of him or his preaching, one must admit he was quite an entertainer.

FWIW, I do recall Carter having trouble getting people to attend his rallies and public events. Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis and Al Gore had similar issues during their presidential campaigns. 

sword said:
fishinnut said:
Twisted said:
fishinnut said:
No.....JH said it.
I suspect this was just hyperbole, not pure pride or arrogance. Jack Hyles did this often and his members ate it up. Regardless of you view of him or his preaching, one must admit he was quite an entertainer.

FWIW, I do recall Carter having trouble getting people to attend his rallies and public events. Walter Mondale, Michael Dukakis and Al Gore had similar issues during their presidential campaigns.
He never said this during the Reagan Administration...

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

fishinnut said:
BALAAM said:
Over the past few years I have come to detest the evangelism business.
From a guy who was an evangelist & a HAC grad..........I have a different viewpoint.

JH was friends with several evangelist like the Rice brothers, Boyd & BJ Sr. to name a few. But he got the big-head & thought that he was the only one who could preach at his church & fill the building. JS believed that to the day he was finally called on the carpet.

So......many HAC students & grads got the idea that evangelists were not needed in the life of a church.  They were not taught how to plan,  prepare for, promote & conduct revival meetings.  I spoke to RY about this & he told me that he had no idea about revivals & evangelist. I speak from experience when I say that many grads certainly did not learn to care for the needs of the evangelist especially in the area of finances, unless it was an IFB big-name.

Oh,  they learned how to have conferences with pastors doing the preaching. Again, it may not have been taught but it was caught.

It was (and I hope not "is") pretty common for a pastor who committed an egregious sin to go into "evangelism" - so, many pastors may have known this and were leery of having "evangelists" in the church unless they knew them personally, or had them vouched for by someone that they trusted.