The Catholic Comma Johanneum is in my Dad's Luther Bible

bgwilkinson

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I was reading one of my dad's old Luther German Bibles when low and behold I found das Comma. It was in a footnote at the bottom of NT page 260 that explained it was found in some Latin versions but missing in the Greek versions.

v7. Denn drei sind, die da zeugen: der Geist und das Wasser und das Blut;

The above is what is in the text of the Luther Bible.

v7. For there are three that bear witness: the Spirit, the water and the blood;

Well I guess that is where I first learned about das Comma. It is not in the text but is in a foot note at the bottom of page 260.

I think I will check out my mom's old Swedish Bibles next.

This Bible was published by the American Bible Society year is not given. I suspect it was printed sometime in the early 1900's. It has a hard cover and typeset in Gothic or Black Letter Much like the original KJV.

Not surprising that it isn't in the text. Luther translated his new Testament from Erasmus' 2nd edition. Erasmus didn't include the Comma until the 3rd edition.

All the editions of Luther's Bible published during Luther's lifetime did not include 1 John 5:7, Mark 11:26, and Luke 17:36 in addition to many other differences when compared to the KJV.  When compared to the KJV, Luther's Bible was also missing phrases at John 19:38, James 4:6, 1 John 2:23, Revelation 18:23, and Revelation 21:26.  Glenn Conjurske, a defender of the KJV and a critic of modern version, observed:  "The fact is, (in addition to numerous other differences)  there  are  whole  verses in the King James Version which neither are nor ever have been in Luther's German" (Olde Paths, Sept., 1997, p. 212). 

Preserved Smith reported that 1 John 5:7 was first placed in the German Bible in 1575 (Age of Reformation, p. 570). 

Conjurske also pointed out that Luther omitted 1 John 5:7 from the revised edition of the Latin Vulgate that he published in 1529 (March, 1997, p. 72).   

Martin Luther's commentary on the heavenly witnesses (c. 1543-1545)

For, on V. 7, " For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost; and these three are one;" he says, . "

This is the testimony in heaven, which is afforded by three witnesses­is in heaven, and remaineth in heaven. This order is to be carefully noted; namely, that the witness who is last among the witnesses in heaven, is first among the witnesses on earth, and very properly.

And on the 6th verse of the Vth chapter he says,

This passage is certainly difficult and obscure. John here adduces a testimony that Jesus is the Christ. His theme therefore, or main topic, is, the testimony that Jesus is the Christ; or wherewith is it proved that he is the Messiah or Christ. For this purpose be (i.e. John) appeals to a twofold testimony: the one is in heaven, the other on earth. Both also have three witnesses; because, "in the mouth of two or three witnesses, truth is established."

John therefore adduces a testimony where with he intends to prove that Jesus is the Christ. Now, this testimony is a testimony of God, and not of man: for the Father testifieth of his Son. If we receive the witness of men, (saith John, ver. 9.) the witness of God is greater, which he hath testified of his Son. But this divine testimony is twofold. It is given partly in heaven, partly on earth:­that given in heaven has three witnesses, the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost: the other, given on earth, has also three witnesses; namely, the spirit, the water, and the blood.

(New criticisms on the celebrated text, 1 John v. 7, by Franz Anton Knittel - 1785 German ed .. 1829 English translation by William Alleyn Evanson)