The "craziest" sermons I have ever heard

When Duke Morales was a dorm supervisor split chapel was actually something to look forward to. Morales knew what it was like to live in a dorm environment and so split chapels he planned were pretty good.

Of course there was the requisite, make your bed, clean your room, don't leave crayons in your pocket and let them go through the dryer, announcements. Then you were reminded that if you had a job, show up and work. But there was no fear that someone would be singled out and embarrassed and screamed at, none of that.

Phil Sallie would always come in and address us, and he was colorful in his own way. And the preaching was always enjoyable. Usually Morales would get Bill Grady to preach, or when he was in town, Jack Patterson. One of the best ones was when he cleared the hour and let Patterson and Grady preach back to back. Don't remember what Patterson preached but Grady's sermon was entitled, "Barak, the biggest wimp in the Bible." It was an enlightening exegesis of Judges chapter 4. I had never heard one like it before, or since.

Tennessean said:
When Duke Morales was a dorm supervisor split chapel was actually something to look forward to. Morales knew what it was like to live in a dorm environment and so split chapels he planned were pretty good.

Of course there was the requisite, make your bed, clean your room, don't leave crayons in your pocket and let them go through the dryer, announcements. Then you were reminded that if you had a job, show up and work. But there was no fear that someone would be singled out and embarrassed and screamed at, none of that.

Phil Sallie would always come in and address us, and he was colorful in his own way. And the preaching was always enjoyable. Usually Morales would get Bill Grady to preach, or when he was in town, Jack Patterson. One of the best ones was when he cleared the hour and let Patterson and Grady preach back to back. Don't remember what Patterson preached but Grady's sermon was entitled, "Barak, the biggest wimp in the Bible." It was an enlightening exegesis of Judges chapter 4. I had never heard one like it before, or since.

I sure helps make preaching more entertaining when one has a great imagination to add to the usual personal opinions and private interpretations.

bgwilkinson said:
Tennessean said:

I sure helps make preaching more entertaining when one has a great imagination to add to the usual personal opinions and private interpretations.

It's pathetic that such things were considered "good Bible preaching" and encouraged - who knows how many preacher boys went on to pastor and to get unScriptural messages in just such a way.

The only split chapels that I attended were ran by Dean Meister.  It was an absolutely miserable time.  If you had been turned in for anything that aggravated Meister he would have you stand up while he "ripped your head off".  One of the problems was that he did not verify the information.  He just took the word of whoever turned someone it.  Someone could lie about you and you were going to get it in split chapel.  We were on pins and needles.

RAIDER said:
The only split chapels that I attended were ran by Dean Meister.  It was an absolutely miserable time.  If you had been turned in for anything that aggravated Meister he would have you stand up while he "ripped your head off".  One of the problems was that he did not verify the information.  He just took the word of whoever turned someone it.  Someone could lie about you and you were going to get it in split chapel.  We were on pins and needles.
He always pulled out his Drill Instructor persona for those chael sessions. Mean as a snake....he & I would see each other in the halls & share a knowing OORAH laugh.

fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:
He always pulled out his Drill Instructor persona for those chael sessions. Mean as a snake....he & I would see each other in the halls & share a knowing OORAH laugh.

He loved having that reputation.

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:

I had Bro. Meister as my 5th grade Sunday School teacher.  I enjoyed his class and have good memories of him. 

It is humorous see how you guys saw him in a different light.

Dave's shenanigans and JH's response to them drove off a lot of good people.

Timotheus said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:

I had Bro. Meister as my 5th grade Sunday School teacher.  I enjoyed his class and have good memories of him. 

Dave's shenanigans and Jack's response to them drove off a lot of good people.

I am very surprised at your characterization of Mevin Meister. He was always very kind and demure to me.

He was apparently extremely two faced.

We knew about JV and that is why he was called to serve the lord in another place.

Timotheus said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:

His leaving had nothing to do with DH.  Everything can't be blamed on someone else. 

bgwilkinson said:
Timotheus said:
RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:

I am very surprised at your characterization of Mevin Meister. He was always very kind and demure to me.

He was apparently extremely two faced.

We knew about JV and that is why he was called to serve the lord in another place.
It was like J R Rice said about J Frank Norris, "He the kindest most gentle man who ever slit a throat or scuddled a ship."