The "cult" line that I just don't get ...

Tim

Elect
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the logic behind calling traditional co-evangelical friends, "cults"

My own local Church has labeled "Calvinism" and "reformed" theology a cult twice in the content of messages, and another local Church calls Pentecostal Churches "cults" .... it seems both are using the word along with some basic ignorance to what these groups of people believe.

Also. Ignorance to what exactly a cult is. I find online a cult is " a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister." or "a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing."

Hardly applicable for Pentecostal or Reformed believers who have traditionally found acceptance from other evangelical denominations.

It would seem kinder to simply say they are perhaps misguided on some doctrines.

Of course, my acceptance of the "reformed" package is revealing some future fireworks for sure between myself and leadership at my local Church. And, truth be told, both times the cult label was later in the messages toned down to be simply defined as "false teachings" as clarification.

Anyone else find this form of ignorance from your pulpit?

No one cares.  Post something about Trump if you want to get any attention.  8)

Tim said:

No, but we have other forms of ignorance from the pulpit.  No church is exempt.

FreeToBeMe said:
No one cares.  Post something about Trump if you want to get any attention.  8)

If I wanted attention I would just start a new nudity thread.

Actually the definition of a cult used by you is incorrect as it correlates a cult by the size of its followers...Mormonism is clearly a cult and it has approximately 15 million followers.

I've been called a cult member/leader on this forum more times than I could possibly count. It is an easy pejorative to throw around, and makes you feel better since you are obviously so right and they are just as obviously so wrong.

Tom Brennan said:
I've been called a cult member/leader on this forum more times than I could possibly count. It is an easy pejorative to throw around, and makes you feel better since you are obviously so right and they are just as obviously so wrong.

Same can be said for use of the term 'heretic', regardless of which side it comes from. :)

Smellin Coffee said:
Tom Brennan said:

Same can be said for use of the term 'heretic', regardless of which side it comes from. :)

There are technical definitions for both heretic and cult.
The definition for Cult can be broad and is often used hyperbolically.
Once you define orthodoxy, a heretic is pretty much a heretic.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Smellin Coffee said:
Tom Brennan said:

There are technical definitions for both heretic and cult.
The definition for Cult can be broad and is often used hyperbolically.
Once you define orthodoxy, a heretic is pretty much a heretic.

The point is it depends on which orthodoxy. For example, Evangelicalism could be considered heresy to say, a JW, Catholic or a Mormon because it goes against their orthodoxy. Hence, it also is a broad term used coming from relative context in which Tom said, "...makes you feel better since you are obviously so right and they are just as obviously so wrong."

So to a Catholic, you (or any other Evangelical) could be considered a heretic. :)

Smellin Coffee said:
The point is it depends on which orthodoxy.

No, it doesn't. There is only one orthodoxy, defined by the Scriptures as well as the historic creeds and confessions.

I don't know if theological relativism counts as heresy, but like all forms of relativism, it's definitely intellectually retarded.

The individual who did the name calling started to mock Calvinist at our pie fellowship. It bothered me a little so I basically pointed out that historically many men of God were Calvinist & reformed. We had some conversation and then he flipped and started to talk about how he has been studying reformed doctrine and agreed that some of it really makes sense. What he was struggling with was "limited atonement" ...

But. Yep. He was basically mocking what he doesn't understand. Plus, perhaps hiding from our pastor that he is compelled by what he reads.

Kind of like a protection built to keep people from assuming he is turning reformed.

Of course, after Tuesday night, he now knows where I stand. See if it makes its way to the pastor. LOL

Ransom said:
Smellin Coffee said:
The point is it depends on which orthodoxy.

No, it doesn't. There is only one orthodoxy, defined by the Scriptures as well as the historic creeds and confessions.

I don't know if theological relativism counts as heresy, but like all forms of relativism, it's definitely intellectually retarded.

And the "orthodoxy, defined by Scriptures" interpretation is relative in itself. And don't you think Catholics have historic creeds and confessions? Muslims? So from the perspective of their orthodoxy established in their confessions and creeds, Evangelicals would be considered heretical.

Smellin Coffee said:
And the "orthodoxy, defined by Scriptures" interpretation is relative in itself.

I see the words, but I can make no sense of how they are being used, as though they are a satire on the very possibility of communication.

Tim said:

It's not his fault. It was ordained by the Lord before the foundation of the earth was even laid that he was to believe this. He had a choice? Come on man!

Ransom said:
Smellin Coffee said:
And the "orthodoxy, defined by Scriptures" interpretation is relative in itself.

I see the words, but I can make no sense of how they are being used, as though they are a satire on the very possibility of communication.

It is probably simply an unwillingness or inability to look at things from another lens to gain another's perspective. Let me guess: at least 90% of your theological library is made up of authors who are white males, the majority of whom would be considered politically conservative.

(Not to worry, the majority of my theological library is as well. :) )

Tom Brennan said:

"Cult" has an emotions connected with it; it's an emotionally-laden term that it easier to throw up than to patiently show error.

In addition, there is the world's definition of "cult" and a Christian definition of cult... I've heard a Christian definition for a cult to be "any group that claims to follow Jesus Christ but is actually following someone other than Jesus Christ".

When I was in secular school, "cult" was defined as "a small group of people dedicated to the teachings of one man"... they would explain how Christianity started out as a "cult", etc.