The day Dr. Hyles died

When things are rough and we have a bad day, I look at my wife and simply say:  "Jammy time's coming!"

The day Dr. Hyles died I was in my study at the church I pastored in Alabama. I was saddened for my dad who had great respect for Dr. Hyles so I called my dad. Much to my surprise, my dad handled it all very well.  I also hurt for the Hyles family. No matter what the past held, his death was painful for them all. Then my mind wandered to all the loyal followers he had, and I prayed they would all start following Jesus. I do not mean that in a derogatory way.

When Brother Hyles went for surgery, I was confident that God would heal him and allow for a speedy recovery resulting in him being behind the pulpit at FBC in a few weeks. Brother Hyles and I were very close. Her helped me out in life several times and he always made time for me when I needed him. If he saw me at church in the alley or in his office hall, he always stopped and chatted with me. We met often and he called me several times on my cell for a favor or to ask me a question. He made me feel loved and I do believe that he cared about me deeply.

I was never close with my real dad and kind of looked up to Brother Hyles as a father figure. My real dad used to spank us for crying. Crying just was not allowed in my home growing up real men don't cry is what I was taught. I remember bawling uncontrollably at the funeral and thinking that it must be a dream. Soon after I was out of church, out of fundamentalism and fallen. It took some years before I could give my heart to another pastor. I have, but it was a real tough thing to do. I think I was mad at God for taking Jack Hyles about the time my life fell apart and I needed a pastor the most.

There was no man worship, but a love for a man that happened to be my pastor and good friend.

groupie great post.... thank you for sharing

cpizzle said:
Binaca Chugger said:
I never will forget Bro. Colsten's words of encouragement to the church that Sunday:  "Jammy time's coming."  Classic Bro. Colsten.

I remember the night Bro. Colsten preached.  He didn't introduce a speaker and I instantly knew he was going to preach.  What a reception he received when he stood behind the pulpit to preach.  He preached about "Sin in the Camp."  Love Bro. Colsten! 

What is "jammy time"?  I, and many others, had left Hammond for various reasons and would like to know about this and Bro Colsten's sermon.  Thanks.

I still refer to bedtime at home as "Jammy Time."

I must confess I do not remember where I was when I heard he had died, but my memory isn't what it used to be. I do remember the funeral very well. I remember standing in front of his casket and thinking of all the times he referenced 'when you come by and look at me in my casket someday' while preaching. I remember thinking, while Dave Hyles spoke, what a waste of potential. I remember thinking that Bro. Owens said it so well when he said spoke from the text 'the common people heard him gladly.' I distinctly remember, and have often appreciated Mrs. Hyles statement at the funeral, 'To the world you are one person but to one person you are the world.' That statement hangs in my bedroom at the moment. I remember thinking that I would never be able to ask him to preach for me. I remember thinking that everything would never be the same again i.e. Pastors' School, feeling like a preacherboy, etc. I remembered all of our personal interactions, and I was glad for all of them.

As time has gone on, curiously, I find myself missing him more rather than less. I've already made my position on him clear and plain, but there is a great emotional attachment still there, and beyond that, I also hold largely to the positions he handed to me. I've been pastoring for 16 years this month, and I find myself referencing him more often as time goes by. He was a seer. He was a bit of a philosopher. He was a great, great leader.

...and I have never, since that day at his funeral, in all the years since, felt completely at home in a conference, preaching meeting, or group of preachers. I don't think I ever will. It is kind of a like when you grow up, and leave home, and you can't ever go back again. People change. Things get complicated. But you never again have that feeling of security and love and affection and fun and closeness as you did when you were at home as a child.

I miss him very much.

tobytyler said:
cpizzle said:
Binaca Chugger said:
I never will forget Bro. Colsten's words of encouragement to the church that Sunday:  "Jammy time's coming."  Classic Bro. Colsten.

I remember the night Bro. Colsten preached.  He didn't introduce a speaker and I instantly knew he was going to preach.  What a reception he received when he stood behind the pulpit to preach.  He preached about "Sin in the Camp."  Love Bro. Colsten! 

What is "jammy time"?  I, and many others, had left Hammond for various reasons and would like to know about this and Bro Colsten's sermon.  Thanks.

I still refer to bedtime at home as "Jammy Time."

Jammy time is just what you think it is.  Time to put on your pajamas and crawl under the covers and go to sleep.  It was so totally unexpected and such an odd thing to say while being very revealing of human emotions that everyone was going through.  The statement broke the tension and anxiety with a little dose of humor based on reality.  Classic Bro. Colsten.

You know... it would nice if some of you had the same high opinions/feelings toward your earthly fathers. Or maybe your grandfathers, uncles or etc.

Its been my experience that many people have a type of "fairy land" attachment to "THEIR" "minister". I have a son, I can tell you, it would hurt me greatly to see him write some of the things some of you have written about another man, other than his father. Call it jealously. Call it whatever you want. I just happen to believe the most important and last peers and man has.... is his father, grand father, uncles and etc. That's the way God planned. That's the way God wants it. That's the way it should be. The "escapism" found in most churches in relation to leadership is rather sad. Just my opinion. I'm not focusing on anyone in particular. Just making a observation. I've found that many "pastors" love to take the place of affection in a family. They have no problems at all being the center of attention.

christundivided said:
You know... it would nice if some of you had the same high opinions/feelings toward your earthly fathers. Or maybe your grandfathers, uncles or etc.

Its been my experience that many people have a type of "fairy land" attachment to "THEIR" "minister". I have a son, I can tell you, it would hurt me greatly to see him write some of the things some of you have written about another man, other than his father. Call it jealously. Call it whatever you want. I just happen to believe the most important and last peers and man has.... is his father, grand father, uncles and etc. That's the way God planned. That's the way God wants it. That's the way it should be. The "escapism" found in most churches in relation to leadership is rather sad. Just my opinion. I'm not focusing on anyone in particular. Just making a observation. I've found that many "pastors" love to take the place of affection in a family. They have no problems at all being the center of attention.

I understand what you mean, but many did not have a great relationship with their parents, such as myself.
My dad is an agnostic and chose not to have any relationship with me and caused great hurt to my mother.
When I got saved, one of the great by products of our salvation was the new relationships that came along with it.  B/C of our relationship in Christ, I found a new closeness with brothers in Christ that I never had with my real dad. (Just as an aside, I did not get saved because that I knew this would happen, I really had no idea of the kind of closeness that brothers in Christ would have)

I have a terrific relationship with my second pastor.  He is still a spiritual father to me some 20 years after I left his church to attend Bible college.  There are others who have had great influence on our lives, such as Dr. Hyles and others.  It's hard not to have great affection towards  them.  I don't idolize these men, I realize that they are fallible, but I honor them b/c of their influence, their works, and friendship towards me.) 

christundivided said:

Sometimes God graciously gives you both. That is my case, and it is a tremendous blessing to have a great father who mentored me/loves me and a very good pastor too. Of course, I love my father more than I loved Bro. Hyles, but fortunately I didn't have to look for a father figure. I actually have a very wonderful one.

#goodlyheritage

I was also blessed with my real dad who worked and took care of us kids. I was also blessed with a second dad who has loved me these 20+ years. I've also had several pastors that have been with me in my darkness hour....

christundivided said:

Interesting take.  However, my dad pushed me towards my pastor.  One of the greatest compliments my dad would receive was that I honored both him and our pastor.  Besides, this thread is about the day our pastor died, not about the day our dad died.  If you asked for a thread on the day our father died, I would refuse to post, because he is not yet dead. ;)