The Death of Prayer Meetings

Reformed Guy said:
I suppose they're even less popular in these parts than Sunday night services....

http://www.reformation21.org/blog/2015/05/the-problem-of-corporate-praye.php

Haven't read the article; the country church I was in as a young teen prayed on Wed nights... as did the church I was in during college.

I don't think HAC churches truly believe in prayer; there is lip service given to it, but prayer is the time for people to move around for specials, and HAC churches I've been in just view Wed as another preaching night, not a prayer night.  The emphasis seemed to be on doing, and only people incapable of doing should be praying people.  This could be entirely erroneous, because I don't have a wide sample, but the HAC grads I did know didn't seem to really believe in prayer.

Having said that, even the non-HAC churches I've been in as an adult don't really have a Wed night prayer night.  Some of them have had prayer times at other times that had indifferent success.

There does seem to be a trend against public prayer meetings.

We dedicate one service a month entirely to corporate prayer. It isn't a fun service - yet. I've been trying to teach my people to pray for years now. It is like pulling hens teeth to get them to show up and to participate. IMHO, the reason churches struggle to have corporate prayer meetings or struggle through them is simple - people who don't pray in private won't pray in public.

I will keep at it, but I often feel like I'm trying to roll up a large rock up a mountain...

Tom Brennan said:
We dedicate one service a month entirely to corporate prayer. It isn't a fun service - yet. I've been trying to teach my people to pray for years now. It is like pulling hens teeth to get them to show up and to participate. IMHO, the reason churches struggle to have corporate prayer meetings or struggle through them is simple - people who don't pray in private won't pray in public.

I will keep at it, but I often feel like I'm trying to roll up a large rock up a mountain...

A good point.

I've been in churches that do it both ways -- they split up into groups of 2-3 to pray, or they have the entire church present, and call upon 3-4 men to pray - not sure which way your church does these meetings. I much preferred the smaller groups, in which everyone could pray or not pray, but maybe that's just me.

If we really believe in prayer, then perhaps we'd stop using it as "filler" for special music groups to get situated, or for pianist and organist to swap positions, or for the various other things for which it is a cover.

Web said:
Walt said:

If we really believe in prayer, then perhaps we'd stop using it as "filler" for special music groups to get situated, or for pianist and organist to swap positions, or for the various other things for which it is a cover.

One of my biggest complaints of "prayer' during the service.  It's is used as a coverup for the magic that happens when you open your eyes...
Your spot on.
That would be the equivalent of lowering the curtain in a live performance theater and then raising it for the next act.
That seems so appropriate for how it is used between performances at many churches IFB included..

Walt said:

I have only encountered this level of disrespect for prayer in Lancaster. No other (non IFB) church I have attended purposefully misuses prayer time in this way.

AmazedbyGrace said:
Walt said:

I have only encountered this level of disrespect for prayer in Lancaster. No other (non IFB) church I have attended purposefully misuses prayer time in this way.

I think it is incredibly common, perhaps just among HAC-type churches; maybe all of IFB.  My wife, who sings in groups, (when I sing in the car, birds commit suicide by dive-bombing the window :) ) has always been told to use the prayer time to move up to the platform, get microphones and get ready to sing... and this is true for multiple churches that we have been in.

At our HAC church, the pastor stated that they were having prayer only to cover movement on the platform -- implying to me that he didn't really believe in prayer.

"Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" - Jim Cymbala

Read it and weep for your lack of belief in the power of prayer.

subllibrm said:
"Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" - Jim Cymbala

Read it and weep for your lack of belief in the power of prayer.

But, but, but... this guy lets transvestites visit his church!  :eek:

;D

A IFB church which I attended in the '80s would break up for prayer in groups of 3 or 4.  Visitors would come for a service and you could tell they were uncomfortable when this time came.  Most of them would slip out and we would never see them again. 

The church changed the format to 2 or 3 men praying at the close of the service.  They would divide up the prayer sheet.  This seemed to draw more people.  Not saying this is correct, but just an example.

Attended a church that asked members to show up before church where a list could be picked up.  A brief challenge was given (3 minutes) and then people would pray in small groups throughout the building.  If you showed up just before service, you would walk in to several people talking casually, a few greeters to welcome you and several groups sitting in prayer together.  Looked alot like a church.

RAIDER said:
A IFB church which I attended in the '80s would break up for prayer in groups of 3 or 4.  Visitors would come for a service and you could tell they were uncomfortable when this time came.  Most of them would slip out and we would never see them again. 

The church changed the format to 2 or 3 men praying at the close of the service.  They would divide up the prayer sheet.  This seemed to draw more people.  Not saying this is correct, but just an example.
Sounds like a church that knew its purpose was to equip the body rather than entertain the world.

At least for a while...

Some churches have a "Bible Study" night as opposed to a "Prayer Meeting". I've been attending one recently and they have only 15 minutes of prayer after the singing. In my church which is similar in faith and practice we have prayer time at the end with no limit. Since I've never been to the prayer time of the bible study church I can't really say whether it's good or bad. Maybe they pray fervently in a short time.

brianb said:
Some churches have a "Bible Study" night as opposed to a "Prayer Meeting". I've been attending one recently and they have only 15 minutes of prayer after the singing. In my church which is similar in faith and practice we have prayer time at the end with no limit. Since I've never been to the prayer time of the bible study church I can't really say whether it's good or bad. Maybe they pray fervently in a short time.

When we were a part of a church that didn't have a prayer time, they justified this by saying that all of Jesus' public prayers were short, and that the lengthy prayers were in private.  It wasn't stated, but subtly implied that those who wanted to have a prayer time were just wanting to show off, like the Pharisees with their long prayers.

Walt said:
brianb said:

When we were a part of a church that didn't have a prayer time, they justified this by saying that all of Jesus' public prayers were short, and that the lengthy prayers were in private.  It wasn't stated, but subtly implied that those who wanted to have a prayer time were just wanting to show off, like the Pharisees with their long prayers.

I believe churches should encourage and offer opportunities for corporate prayer time.
While we have a number of prayer times or opportunities for corporate, public prayer, I think they might have a point. Jesus said to go to your closet to pray and God who hears you in private will reward you in public.
I would say that private prayer has been, in my life at least, much more meaningful than public prayer or public prayer times.

Walt said:
Reformed Guy said:
I suppose they're even less popular in these parts than Sunday night services....

http://www.reformation21.org/blog/2015/05/the-problem-of-corporate-praye.php

The emphasis seemed to be on doing, and only people incapable of doing should be praying people.

Walt, Thnaks for this observation. You are spot on correct. Although I never thought of it until I read your post, I have seen this a few times over the years. The pastor mentions a person who is a "prayer-warrior" implying they are incapable or unwilling to do anything else. Maybe it never occurred to the pastor that genuine prayer is WORK.

Again, thanks for the observation.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
brianb said:

I believe churches should encourage and offer opportunities for corporate prayer time.
While we have a number of prayer times or opportunities for corporate, public prayer, I think they might have a point. Jesus said to go to your closet to pray and God who hears you in private will reward you in public.
I would say that private prayer has been, in my life at least, much more meaningful than public prayer or public prayer times.

My private prayer has been that way, too.

However, I think they were just cherry-picking verses to support what they wanted to do -- when Peter was in prison, the church seemed to have been praying as a body.

We have had some great Bible studies on Wed night; yet there are times when I miss the breakup into small groups to pray for one another.

Walt said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Walt said:
brianb said:

My private prayer has been that way, too.

However, I think they were just cherry-picking verses to support what they wanted to do -- when Peter was in prison, the church seemed to have been praying as a body.

We have had some great Bible studies on Wed night; yet there are times when I miss the breakup into small groups to pray for one another.

The church prayed for Peter's release from prison at the home of one of her members...I assume that's the origin of what we once called cottage (home) prayer meetings, which we encourage in our congregation. I am not against prayer in a public service, but don't think it is the most practical or effective way to pray!

The church met in homes. It's what we once called church instead of that building people now refer to.

rsc2a said:
The church met in homes. It's what we once called church instead of that building people now refer to.

I think that might be one the reasons Congregation was used in English Bibles, that is until the Catholics started using Church in the Rheims 1582 NT.

Then later James Stuart, whose mother, Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots, was a Catholic until her death, ordered that the word church be used in his version of the Bible.

That one Catholic use of Church in the Rheims 1582 has continued to this day in most English Bibles.

Church has nothing to do with the body of Christ but is a word used by government religious organizations.