The Dimbulb Present of Some Fundamentalists

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
25248376fd3b81f83fe10ac80591be8d.jpg

Well, that certainly settles the big debate as to "weather" [sic] a "Christan" [sic] man like myself should or should not wear shorts, whatever the weather.  But wait a minute - was the garment Christ was wearing trousers, or a robe?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Baptist City Holdout said:
If it's OK for Steven L. Anderson, it's OK for me.

Do you have low standards in all areas of your life?  LOL!

Why is it ok for women to wear dresses, as long as they are to their knees...but men can't wear shorts that come down to their knees?
Just curious.

I've been in south Florida for over 30 + years. I've seen it all who cares if a man wears shorts? Does that determine if he goes to heaven? NO!!
Don't tell anyone I wear shorts to my knees LOL!

I find it strange that so many people believe "dress standards" are the most important aspect of Christian obedience, and yet the Bible never clearly tells how to dress.  We are given principles like "modesty" and the shame of "nakedness," but not specific details.  Thus, many preachers search out the scripture like a "Where's Waldo" book looking for clues about how to avoid the "sin" of dressing wrong.
Sure, I believe in appropriate attire (subjective to be sure), but why would God hide his commands on what we apparently believe he cares about the most!

Sadly, to me the worst thing about this is a willingness to misuse scripture. The post gets love by Hamblin. This abuse is what has devastated the truth of fundamentalism.

These Hyper?s claim they are holding the very words of God just to abuse them to keep the ?flock? under their silly control. They have ZERO regard for Scripture

One day I was ruminating on the fundamentalist obsession with dress codes for women.  It occurred to me that not only are no dress codes for women prescribed in the Bible, but there are very few places in the Bible where we are told how godly women characters in the Bible dressed themselves.  One exception is Eve, who literally "didn't have a thing to wear."  Then there was Tamar, who was wearing a "long robe with sleeves, for thus were the virgin daughters of the king dressed" (2 Samuel 13:18, ESV) or a "long sleeved garment" (NASB).  So Tamar was modestly dressed in a fundie uniform, she was not displaying her seductive forearms, thighs or knees, and she was living according to the patriarchal Bill Gothard teachings in which a woman is forbidden to move away from her dad prior to marriage, and she was living under the direct control of her dad (2 Samuel 13:7) and yet she was raped anyway.  I wonder if it is possible that God gave us these details so that we would not be so quick to blame women who are raped and molested, and stop asking them "How were you dressed?"  In Matthew 5:28 Christ put all the blame on the men if they were lustful - no mention at all of how the women were dressed - but there are some nowadays who tend to put the blame on the woman and say she must not have been dressed right.

Because perverted, narcissistic men are still in the pulpit :(
Bill Gothard has been exposed for his perversions.

?[The guilty] protest too much.?

To me, a lot of it has to do with respect (submission) for one another (something my preacher friends often forget.)

If I go to the beach (which I do), I know that many women will be wearing revealing outfits.  It is up to me to guard my eyes and not focus my gaze on what leads to "lust."  I can't go around yelling at them for wearing 2 piece swimsuits (even if I still find them inappropriate.)  I must respect their choice to wear less clothing in the hot sun and sand.

If I go to a restaurant (or church....)  and a women is wearing clothing that is intentionally designed to be sexually suggestive (revealing?), then that is disrespectful to me and others. 

I think we should care about others and less about our own "rights."  This goes for the Church and the World as well.

... but the OP was addressing a man wearing shorts.

Yeah, that's some mature hermeneutics there.

Hope he chokes to death trying to cram a sword in his mouth.

The honorable Rev. FSSL said:

I didn't know there was a debate. In the past (before social media) within IFB circles they simply had a rule and that was the end of it - no debate. 

The honorable Rev. FSSL said:

Well, I guess I'm hell bound for I have doubly sinned....,.,not only do I wear shorts, but they're "jhorts" at that. Oh the horror!!!  :eek: :eek: :eek:

:D :D

Should I walk into First Baptist Hammond tomorrow (just a short 30 minute walk from my house) in my jhorts? Would I be welcomed with a hearty handshake or the left foot of fellowship? LOL!!

HeDied4U said:
Should I walk into First Baptist Hammond tomorrow (just a short 30 minute walk from my house) in my jhorts? Would I be welcomed with a hearty handshake or the left foot of fellowship? LOL!!

The ironic part of this guy's argument is, if he actually put it into practice and went to a fundy church wearing the clothes Jesus would have worn, then some genius would make fun of him for wearing a dress.

Confession time...I wore shorts to one night of VBS last week. It was about 110 that day and I wore shorts. But it's okay I'm SBC!  ROFL!  Oh and I wore shorts when I played golf with my son on Saturday for Father's Day!

To Be Honest, the number of IFB's that still preach against shorts is almost "0."  Even Bro. Hyles allowed "knee length" shorts for sporting activities. 
People don't wear them often to church or church sponsored activities out of the "carry over" beliefs, but very few still preach it as a standard.