The establishment is trying to destroy Cruz.

Jehanne La Pucelle said:
Just John said:
Trump wants the federal government involved in healthcare and education.
That . . . is scary!

It already is. He's said he will completely change education. He's also said that Ben Carson will play a large roll in that change. You people don't even know his positions. It is really is laughable how you bash him without even listening to what he says.

Just John said:
Izdaari said:
Trump is the "pig in a poke" candidate. Nobody really knows what he'd do in office, maybe not even himself. He won't give much in the way of policy specifics, probably because he doesn't have any. He didn't know what the nuclear triad was the first time he was asked, and the second time, after he'd had plenty of time to find out, he still didn't. He thinks backing out of NATO is a good idea, and that's very dangerous, especially coming from a guy who doesn't really understand foreign policy.

Remembering LBJ and Nixon, I take your point about previous sexist and uncouth presidents, but I despised LBJ and wasn't too happy with Nixon either, and I don't want a repeat.

Trump's negatives are enormous, particularly among women, 74% of whom have an unfavorable opinion of him. I don't see how he can possibly overcome that to win the general election. Hillary's negatives are high too, but not nearly as bad. Current polls are showing Kasich beating Hillary by a lot, Cruz beating her by a little, and Trump losing to her badly.

I think you sell Trump a little short Izzy. He was pretty certain last night are the "top three functions of government".

"The greatest function of all by far is security for our nation. I would also say health care, I would also say education."

So, this "messiah to the non-establishment" thinks the three top functions of government are safety, healthcare and education??? Oh but it gets better.

Anderson Cooper tried to clarify. "So in terms of federal government role, you're saying security, but you also say health care and education should be provided by the federal government?"

Trump replied, "yeah, those are two of the things. Yeah, sure. there are obviously many things, housing, providing great neighborhoods?"

Who knew our Founding Fathers were grappling with such weighty matters as providing federal education, healthcare and great neighborhoods!!!!

He further rambled on showing he had no clue what he was talking about.

http://www.weeklystandard.com/you-wont-believe-what-donald-trump-thinks-the-federal-governments-top-3-roles-are/article/2001749

Do you want a techncal answer or a practical answer? Technically it was a horrible answer. I don't think he took it as a technical question.

I was watching the townhall when it was asked...Was you?

Trump was trying to give a practical answer to a dairy farmer in Wisconsin.

prophet said:
praise_yeshua said:
Just John said:
I'm sure you're right JJ.
Just business as usual in the Grand Old Party.
And, I'm also sure that the vast majority of their voters totally agree and will simply vote for the duly elected, er..appointed nominee.  ;)

Did I mention that the establishment would rather lose (they are very good at that) with Bush, Romney, Kasich etc than win with Trump or Cruz.

Oh I think the GOP has already given this election away. If you think Trump has a prayer of winning when 70% of REPUBLICAN women have a negative view of him I'd like to know how.  Yes, Hillary is a terrible candidate but a lot of her voters don't care about character.

Trump will win over women. He's had a rather good track record of dong just that.

Oh, the irony.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

I figured some would take it that way...that's not the way I meant it.

I imagine Donald will apologize once he's past the primary. It's poltical posturing. I hate it but that's what it is. All of them do it.

praise_yeshua said:
prophet said:
praise_yeshua said:
Just John said:
I'm sure you're right JJ.
Just business as usual in the Grand Old Party.
And, I'm also sure that the vast majority of their voters totally agree and will simply vote for the duly elected, er..appointed nominee.  ;)

Did I mention that the establishment would rather lose (they are very good at that) with Bush, Romney, Kasich etc than win with Trump or Cruz.

Oh I think the GOP has already given this election away. If you think Trump has a prayer of winning when 70% of REPUBLICAN women have a negative view of him I'd like to know how.  Yes, Hillary is a terrible candidate but a lot of her voters don't care about character.

Trump will win over women. He's had a rather good track record of dong just that.

Oh, the irony.

I figured some would take it that way...that's not the way I meant it.

I imagine Donald will apologize once he's past the primary. It's poltical posturing. I hate it but that's what it is. All of them do it.
You missed it.

Reread your original post.

The typo had me laughing...

praise_yeshua said:
Just John said:
Izdaari said:
Trump is the "pig in a poke" candidate. Nobody really knows what he'd do in office, maybe not even himself. He won't give much in the way of policy specifics, probably because he doesn't have any. He didn't know what the nuclear triad was the first time he was asked, and the second time, after he'd had plenty of time to find out, he still didn't. He thinks backing out of NATO is a good idea, and that's very dangerous, especially coming from a guy who doesn't really understand foreign policy.

Remembering LBJ and Nixon, I take your point about previous sexist and uncouth presidents, but I despised LBJ and wasn't too happy with Nixon either, and I don't want a repeat.

Trump's negatives are enormous, particularly among women, 74% of whom have an unfavorable opinion of him. I don't see how he can possibly overcome that to win the general election. Hillary's negatives are high too, but not nearly as bad. Current polls are showing Kasich beating Hillary by a lot, Cruz beating her by a little, and Trump losing to her badly.

I think you sell Trump a little short Izzy. He was pretty certain last night are the "top three functions of government".

"The greatest function of all by far is security for our nation. I would also say health care, I would also say education."

So, this "messiah to the non-establishment" thinks the three top functions of government are safety, healthcare and education??? Oh but it gets better.

Anderson Cooper tried to clarify. "So in terms of federal government role, you're saying security, but you also say health care and education should be provided by the federal government?"

Trump replied, "yeah, those are two of the things. Yeah, sure. there are obviously many things, housing, providing great neighborhoods?"

Who knew our Founding Fathers were grappling with such weighty matters as providing federal education, healthcare and great neighborhoods!!!!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/you-wont-believe-what-donald-trump-thinks-the-federal-governments-top-3-roles-are/article/2001749

Do you want a techncal answer or a practical answer? Technically it was a horrible answer. I don't think he took it as a technical question.

I "were".  ::)

Your opinions are fairly meaningless. You have proven you will defend Trump for anything.

Just John said:
praise_yeshua said:
Just John said:
Izdaari said:

Your opinions are fairly meaningless. You have proven you will defend Trump for anything.

I'm not doing anything you're not doing for the establishment....

Pot meet Kettle.... ;)

I've been sick the last couple of days and mostly using my phone from my "sick bed". Sorry for the confusion....

I don't support everything about Trump. I don't think he's the savior of anything. I expect him to destroy the existing power structure in Washington. That's the primary reason I support him. Cruz will not do this. Kasich will not do this. Sanders will not do this. Hillary will make it worse. Heck, Bill Clinton was really the one who created what's happened today. He brought in an era were you can't tell the difference between a democrap and Republican.

praise_yeshua said:

Pot meet Kettle.... ;)

I've been sick the last couple of days and mostly using my phone from my "sick bed". Sorry for the confusion....

I don't support everything about Trump. I don't think he's the savior of anything. I expect him to destroy the existing power structure in Washington. That's the primary reason I support him. Cruz will not do this. Kasich will not do this. Sanders will not do this. Hillary will make it worse. Heck, Bill Clinton was really the one who created what's happened today. He brought in an era were you can't tell the difference between a democrap and Republican.

Hope you feel better soon.

praise_yeshua said:
Just John said:
praise_yeshua said:
Just John said:
Izdaari said:

Pot meet Kettle.... ;)

You parrot the reason Trump and Cruz have proven to be viable candidates, especially the Trumpsters. The establishment types still somehow don't get it and are planning for a brokered convention. I don't like Trump because of a number things, but the main political reason is that he is clueless as to policy!
I repeat, because it is true, the establishment would rather lose with another squishy moderate than win with Trump or Cruz.

Tarheel Baptist said:
You parrot the reason Trump and Cruz have proven to be viable candidates, especially the Trumpsters. The establishment types still somehow don't get it and are planning for a brokered convention. I don't like Trump because of a number things, but the main political reason is that he is clueless as to policy!
I repeat, because it is true, the establishment would rather lose with another squishy moderate than win with Trump or Cruz.

"I blame the party establishment for (although the voters have chosen)  losing candidates in the past so a bunch of folks want to vote for a guy who is "clueless on policy" and has the highest negative ratings in modern history and it "makes sense".  And I'm the one who doesn't get it.  ;) 

TRUMP 2016!  Safety! Education! Healthcare! 
Government TOP FUNCTIONING for YOU!
Oh, and good neighborhoods too!

Just John said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

"I blame the party establishment for (although the voters have chosen)  losing candidates in the past so a bunch of folks want to vote for a guy who is "clueless on policy" and has the highest negative ratings in modern history and it "makes sense".  And I'm the one who doesn't get it.  ;) 

JJ, I wasn't aware that you were a part of the Republican establishment! :)
I'm not for Trump any way, shape or form...but I DO understand how he is where he is....and if you (?)the establishment give us a Bush, Ryan or someone else who has no votes, I will not hold my nose and vote for them...like I was asked to do for Romney and McCain.

So, in essence, you (?) the establishment will get what they desire...they will lose with another squishy moderate!
All the while singing, I'm a Loser!

Establishment, anti-establishment, conservative, squishy moderate, it's all nonsense to me. What I want is a libertarian! Somebody who will restore at least a measure of liberty. With Rand Paul out, there isn't a Republican left who will do that.

So what will I settle for? How about somebody who won't screw up the country worse than it already is, and who can beat the Democrats, who I'm pretty sure will screw it up worse?

That looks like Kasich (first choice, best record as governor and in Congress, as conservative as Reagan but considered a moderate by Tea Party standards). But he doesn't have the delegates to win on first or second ballot, third maybe if it goes that far, because he's a lot of people's second choice. Polls show him doing best against Hillary.

So Cruz maybe? I have reservations about him, but I think he can beat Hillary. He might possibly have enough delegates to win.

Trump? Hmm, I don't know. He's a wild card. Nobody really knows what he'd do in office. Maybe he'd be a good president, maybe not. He doesn't know much about the issues but he's a fast learner. At least he doesn't have a delusional ideology, because he doesn't have a coherent philosophy at all. He's a pure pragmatist and a marketing genius, who maybe has been purely pandering all along. But he has such horrendous negatives! If he hopes to win the general election as well as the nomination, he'd better start turning that around, and soon!

Tarheel Baptist said:
Just John said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I'm not for Trump any way, shape or form...but I DO understand how he is where he is....and if you (?)the establishment give us a Bush, Ryan or someone else who has no votes, I will not hold my nose and vote for them...like I was asked to do for Romney and McCain.

So, in essence, you (?) the establishment will get what they desire...they will lose with another squishy moderate!

First, you have to realize  that I think at this point we lose no matter who the candidate is. There is a civil war that won't soon be settled if ever. I am not "establishment" but the crap for "policy" that Trump is spewing now is worse than "establishment" types. And as a conservative, I value actual philosophy and policy as opposed to make it up as you go, appeal to the  emotions, populism.  (We rightfully criticize pastors who treat theology the same way). So if i operate from the premise we lose anyway, I would rather lose with someone that doesn't make a mockery of what I believe. And yes, as much as I didn't care for McCain, I believe our recent choices were better than Trump.

So am I one of those "establishment guys"? How can I be? I prefer Cruz to win now since "he is the most conservative candidate with the best chance of winning". (William F.) And it's been said the "establishment doesn't want or won't vote for Cruz". I sure will!

As for bad candidates in the past...it was the electorate who put them there. Millions of them. Not some hidden cabal in a room somewhere. Now this year it might be different. Then it's fair criticism.

[/quote]

I don't think it's quite so hopeless for Republicans as that. Yes, they'll be in some disarray, but so will the Democrats. Many Bernie supporters will refuse to back Hillary.  Some will even come over to Trump if he's the nominee. because they both have the same anti-establishment appeal. And Trump IS a marketing genius; IF he really applies himself to lowering his extreme negatives, he may be able to do it

I'm not advocating for Trump here. I'm just saying Republicans don't automatically lose.

Izdaari said:
I don't think it's quite so hopeless for Republicans as that. Yes, they'll be in some disarray, but so will the Democrats. Many Bernie supporters will refuse to back Hillary.  Some will even come over to Trump if he's the nominee. because they both have the anti-establishment appeal. And Trump IS a marketing genius; IF he really applies himself to lowering his extreme negatives, he may be able to do it

I'm not advocating for Trump here. I'm just saying Republicans don't automatically lose.

Good to have you back.

And I respect your opinion. I'm just not that optimistic about Trump changing his spots.

Just John said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Just John said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

First, you have to realize  that I think at this point we lose no matter who the candidate is. There is a civil war that won't soon be settled if ever. I am not "establishment" but the crap for "policy" that Trump is spewing now is worse than "establishment" types. And as a conservative, I value actual philosophy and policy as opposed to make it up as you go, appeal to the  emotions, populism.  (We rightfully criticize pastors who treat theology the same way). So if i operate from the premise we lose anyway, I would rather lose with someone that doesn't make a mockery of what I believe. And yes, as much as I didn't care for McCain, I believe our recent choices were better than Trump.

So am I one of those "establishment guys"? How can I be? I prefer Cruz to win now since "he is the most conservative candidate with the best chance of winning". (William F.) And it's been said the "establishment doesn't want or won't vote for Cruz". I sure will!

As for bad candidates in the past...it was the electorate who put them there. Millions of them. Not some hidden cabal in a room somewhere. Now this year it might be different. Then it's fair criticism.

[/quote]

I agree with some of what you say, especially about Trump.
But, you are wrong about the manipulation of the establishment.
They tried to make Bush this year's Mc Romney by giving him the $$$. But they didn't count on Trump's no money needed campaign. Trump killed Bush and opened the door for Cruz. And, watch how fast they drop the Ron Paul rule.
And, I too think you are wrong about Trump or Cruz not being able to win.
Either of them absolutely can...but the establishment would rather....you know what I mean. :)

Tarheel Baptist said:
Just John said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
Just John said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

I agree with some of what you say, especially about Trump.
But, you are wrong about the manipulation of the establishment.
They tried to make Bush this year's Mc Romney by giving him the $$$. But they didn't count on Trump's no money needed campaign. Trump killed Bush and opened the door for Cruz. And, watch how fast they drop the Ron Paul rule.
And, I too think you are wrong about Trump or Cruz not being able to win.
Either of them absolutely can...but the establishment would rather....you know what I mean. :)
[/quote]

;)

Gingrich had the money he needed the last campaign but he was a bad candidate. Many of the candidates had their runs but seriously, Michelle Baughman, Herman Cain and Rick Perry were never ready for prime time. I had high hoped for Perry but he crashed. Gingrich had as much money as he needed as Sheldon Adelson was funding his campaign. Santorum did well early but at the end of the day the GOP electorate  has always had the habit of rewarding the person who had "waited their turn" and it was again the case with the previous runner-up Romney. He benefited from beginning with a large field but by Super
Tuesday had already won three primaries on Super Tuesday by being in the 60's  or better. (Trump still hasn't cracked 50% despite his yuge and amazing free media).

Tarheel Baptist said:
First, Romney endorsed him and now this:

http://www.youngcons.com/jeb-bush-endorses-ted-cruz-for-president/
This is a sure-fire way of cutting into his numbers.

Since the establishment signed on to his campaign, his numbers are falling further behind Trump. If they want to stop Trump, he should be their candidate! That will stop him in his tracks.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/04/15/fox-news-poll-trump-widens-lead-in-gop-race-clinton-sanders-tightens.html?intcmp=hpbt2

Reading this old thread makes me (along with prophet and praise yeshua, wherever he may be) feel like a true prophet...in the telling the future sense of the word.

Tarheel Baptist said:
Reading this old thread makes me (along with prophet and praise yeshua, wherever he may be) feel like a true prophet...in the telling the future sense of the word.

What lieth in the future, ol' wise one?