The Gospel Coalition: Sex Won’t Save You (But It Points to the One Who Will)

Josh Butler’s favorite book of the Bible? Undoubtedly Song of Solomon😁

I was actually more than ready to take the Devil’s Advocate role with you when I first started reading, but after about the third paragraph of that I had to go wash up.😜

The Calvinism/Arminianism debate has finally been settled. Synergy is the answer. Our thinking just needs to be below the waist.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
The Nature of Grace

Sex helps explain the nature of grace. Some people struggle with the concept of grace: Did God choose me, or did I choose God? Am I an active agent in my salvation, or simply a passive bystander? The problem, I’d suggest, is we often have a mechanical vision of how grace works, rather than an organic vision. Take driving a car as an example of a mechanical vision: Only one person can sit behind the steering wheel, accelerate the gas, hit the brakes—operate the machine. Meanwhile, the passenger is a sedentary tourist, watching the scenery pass by out the window. Watch what happens, however, when we shift to an organic vision, like sex: “Did he sleep with her, or she sleep with him?” Yes! The answer, of course, is yes. Both statements are true; both people are involved.

And . . . the article is gone!

It's not the first time TGC has dabbled in controversy: "TGC faced criticism in 2013 when three key members, Don Carson, Kevin DeYoung, and Justin Taylor published a statement on TGC website in defense of C. J. Mahaney, the founder of Washington state megachurch Sovereign Grace Ministries. Mahaney and other SGM leaders were sued for an alleged conspiracy to 'permit sexual deviants to have unfettered access to children for purposes of predation and to obstruct justice by covering up ongoing past predation.'"

Here is The Gospel Coalition's explanation for having posted the article: "To our fellows and our readers, please forgive us. The Keller Center for Cultural Apologetics is a new effort by TGC, and we are still learning how to work with our directors and our fellows to produce content that will serve our readers in a way that is trusted and wise."

Articles like this get posted by pastors, all (social media) hell breaks loose; believers bickering back and forth then they wonder why the Church has no credibility.

Um. Did Jack Schaap write this?

If you go to the same link now, the article has been withdrawn and an apology issued by the president of TGC.

Earlier this week, we accepted Josh’s resignation as a Keller Center fellow. He will no longer lead an online cohort with the center nor speak at TGC23. While he will no longer participate in these events, Josh remains a beloved brother and friend whom we respect and care deeply about.​

There's criticism and then there's criticism. I'd hate to see the kind of pushback TGC must have received that resulted in the author's resignation.

Now I’m really curious to read it. 😎

That's digging deep...

On a more serious OP-related note, the fellow blogger (On Psalms) you recently connected with wrote this post about the errors inherent to the Jesus as evangelist by sex article of The Gospel Coalition/Josh Butler. It's, uh, interesting.

On a more serious OP-related note, the fellow blogger (On Psalms) you recently connected with wrote this post about the errors inherent to the Jesus as evangelist by sex article of The Gospel Coalition/Josh Butler. It's, uh, interesting.
I tuned him out round the fifth use of "colonize."

Because of redundancy of term usage, or suspicion that his bias is based in a false premise equating European theological effects as being unbiblically influential on American/Western Christian culture? Or other?

Because of redundancy of term usage, or suspicion that his bias is based in a false premise equating European theological effects as being unbiblically influential on American/Western Christian culture? Or other?

Because "colonize" is used as a progressive buzzword with a nebulous and incoherent meaning, having little to nothing to do with Western colonialism. When you see anything and everything being "colonized" in essays and books, it's a sign you're dealing with an un-rigorous thinker who likes tossing word salad.

I read it and came away with a deer in the headlights look. I need to look back over it. I thought he took a line similar to what is being said here. Truthfully, this is not a subject I wanted to discuss.... but it seems to be making waves. My first comments in this thread were a shot from the hip. I copied and pasted them on his blog as well.

I have seen similar thoughts elsewhere, usually tied to "the patriarchy". The basic idea is that sex as practiced in our culture is about power, not love or intimacy. I guess that is where "colonization" comes into play.

As to the concept of power; it seems to me that the power rests with the one who has the option to decline. On the other hand, if the option to decline is not available within the relationship, then the act is neither loving nor intimate, it is abuse.

Last edited:
This wasn't any better than the essay he decried. I don't think either one of them has a good view of sex within marriage.