The influence of the 'new' IFB's.

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
There is a growing number of (mostly) younger IFB pastors and churches that have resisted the influence and traditions of past IFB leaders and are making their own way.
It might just save this movement.

http://www.ideaday.net

Tarheel Baptist said:

We had to destroy the village in order to save it.
-an American Army major to journalist Peter Arnett, February 7, 1968

Tom Brennan said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

We had to destroy the village in order to save it.
-an American Army major to journalist Peter Arnett, February 7, 1968

I'm sure that they might say the village is already in ruins...but I acknowledge (yet don't fully understand) your perspective.

The younger generation are trying to make the IFB's go "Mainstream" with ccm music/coffe shops/self help books from false teachers Carl Lentz and Steven Furtick and endorse satellite campuses like Craig Groeschel. The foundation laid b the great Jack Hyles and his contemporaries Jack Trieber/Tony Hutson/Larry Brown are now getting blotted out but thankfully there are some youngster who are remaining loyal like Caleb Garraway.

AlvinMartinezVoice said:
The younger generation are trying to make the IFB's go "Mainstream" with ccm music/coffe shops/self help books from false teachers Carl Lentz and Steven Furtick and endorse satellite campuses like Craig Groeschel. The foundation laid b the great Jack Hyles and his contemporaries Jack Trieber/Tony Hutson/Larry Brown are now getting blotted out but thankfully there are some youngster who are remaining loyal like Caleb Garraway.

You are so insightful Big Al.
I hope the admins never come to their senses and ban you for trolling.

Tarheel Baptist said:
There is a growing number of (mostly) younger IFB pastors and churches that have resisted the influence and traditions of past IFB leaders and are making their own way.

"Making your own way" now means raising your children on worldly music.  You can find Josh's Facebook post where he and his family are on vacation, driving in the car, singing worldly music (Dixie Chicks, etc.) together.

If being in the world to the point where you have no problem with that, then I don't think they're "saving the movement".

Twisted said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

"Making your own way" now means raising your children on worldly music.  You can find Josh's Facebook post where he and his family are on vacation, driving in the car, singing worldly music (Dixie Chicks, etc.) together.

If being in the world to the point where you have no problem with that, then I don't think they're "saving the movement".

Dixie Chicks! On 8 Track no doubt!

TheRealJonStewart said:
What do you expect? Millennials were bound to take over the movement one of these days.

The transition was enigmatic.
The old guard, despite kicking and screaming to hold on, lost influence quickly and almost completely. These younger guys gained influence rapidly...'suddenly'.
At least that's how it appears from my vantage point.

Tarheel Baptist said:
The old guard, despite kicking and screaming to hold on, lost influence quickly and almost completely. These younger guys gained influence rapidly...'suddenly'.

"Millennials" are now approaching their early to mid-30s. There's no mystery why they're gaining influence. They're at the age where they would naturally start to take leadership roles in their churches.

Tarheel Baptist said:

Am I missing something? Are the contributors/owners of ideaday self-proclaimed fundamentalists?

FSSL said:
Am I missing something? Are the contributors/owners of ideaday self-proclaimed fundamentalists?

...for the moment. Technically.

Ransom said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

"Millennials" are now approaching their early to mid-30s. There's no mystery why they're gaining influence. They're at the age where they would naturally start to take leadership roles in their churches.

I think this particular group of younger IFB Pastors are filling the leadership void left by the general moral and leadership failures of the previous generation. But it is only in the past 2-3 years that these men have gained broader influence...again from my perspective.

There is push back from some/many IFB's tough, illustrated but twisted complaint that they sing secular music in the car with their kids. Really!
Others complain about their use of screens in their churches, singing songs considered CCM, they don't preach in ties....

The only complaint you don't hear is about their doctrine...because they are as fundamental (doctrinally) as those who complain about them.

FSSL said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

They are IFB Pastors. They are doctrinally sound yet in their methodology they 'compromise' and draw the displeasure of the old paths IFB's.

Tarheel Baptist said:
FSSL said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

They are IFB Pastors. They are doctrinally sound yet in their methodology they 'compromise' and draw the displeasure of the old paths IFB's.

Funny thing... they do not use the words "fundamental," "fundamentalist" or "fundamentalism" on their website, anywhere.

I think these new fundamentalists are avoiding the term... this is not the only example. Some of my alma mater, brethren, are doing the same. My fundamentalist friends avoid the term. Why? Because they don't want the stigma of the former personalities. Neither do they do a good job framing the sine-qua-non of fundamentalism. If I were to become the new face of fundamentalism, I wouldn't avoid the term... because then you become a "nothing burger."

FSSL said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
FSSL said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Funny thing... they do not use the words "fundamental," "fundamentalist" or "fundamentalism" on their website, anywhere.

I think these new fundamentalists are avoiding the term... this is not the only example. Some of my alma mater, brethren, are doing the same. My fundamentalist friends avoid the term. Why? Because they don't want the stigma of the former personalities. Neither do they do a good job framing the sine-qua-non of fundamentalism. If I were to become the new face of fundamentalism, I wouldn't avoid the term... because then you become a "nothing burger."

I do not purport to know whether or not Josh Teis, who is the leader of idea day, claims to be or desires to be the new face of Fundamentalism. I host a monthly Pastors meeting in our county and have met some younger IFB pastors. They consider him a leader which has caused a rift between them and older IFB brethren in our area. And, now that you mention it, these pastors refer to their churches as Independent Baptist churches.

A few years ago we got into a discussion about changing the name of our mission and removing the Fundamental out of it as to many people that word is most often heard referring to fundamentalist moslems. Much discussion, but we didn't want to be called compromisers.

FSSL said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
FSSL said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

You're right. Paul Chappell doesn't use the term fundamentalist anymore. He uses the terms: unaffiliated conservative Baptists.  You're wrong, it's not because they don't want the stigma of the former personalities. They don't want the stigma of who the media is portraying as fundamentalists... (example: ISIS, Warren Jeffs)

TheRealJonStewart said:
FSSL said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
FSSL said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

You're right. Paul Chappell doesn't use the term fundamentalist anymore. He uses the terms: unaffiliated conservative Baptists.  You're wrong, it's not because they don't want the stigma of the former personalities. They don't want the stigma of who the media is portraying as fundamentalists... (example: ISIS, Warren Jeffs)

I agree...the term 'fundamentalist' has been hijacked and smeared by the media and pop culture propaganda.

TheRealJonStewart said:

Both are right. "Baptist" is next. Now where do they even mention "Baptist" on that site?

The site is so innocuous that it is difficult to figure out what they are.