The last time I attended a service at FBCH

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
When was the last time you attended a service at FBCH?  Who was the preacher and/or what was the circumstance?

I attended a Pastor's School Thursday evening service when Schaap was pastor.  I believe it was 3 or 4 years before his issues.  It was always fun seeing old classmates and friends.  I always had a photo session with BCH. 

I attended the 2014 Graduation.
The last time before that must have been the 2011 Pastors' School.
Clarence Sexton and JS preached on the closing Thursday night.
The last church service was in the fall of 2003 for Sunday both services.
JS was the pastor at the time and fulfilled hid duties that day.

Hey, Raider, should I have put all those in separate posts?

Baptist City Holdout said:
I attended the 2014 Graduation.
The last time before that must have been the 2011 Pastors' School.
Clarence Sexton and JS preached on the closing Thursday night.
The last church service was in the fall of 2003 for Sunday both services.
JS was the pastor at the time and fulfilled hid duties that day.

Hey, Raider, should I have put all those in separate posts?

Actually one post works.  :)

My college graduation.

I was going to stand up in a friend's wedding about a year later but I wasn't approved to stand up in his wedding so I just went as a guest.

Those were the last two times I stepped foot into FBCH.

My apologies for your unchristian treatment.

RAIDER said:
When was the last time you attended a service at FBCH?  Who was the preacher and/or what was the circumstance?

June 22, 1980. Sunday before I moved to Harrisburg, Pa. Always thought I would return to visit but it never happen.

Smellin Coffee said:
My college graduation.

I was going to stand up in a friend's wedding about a year later but I wasn't approved to stand up in his wedding so I just went as a guest.

I was never in a wedding or even attended one there, but I have to know on what grounds were you not approved.

Can someone enlighten us on the criteria to be in a FBCH wedding?

The summer of '83 a friend of mine and I had attended an educators' conference in South Bend. We stopped in on a Sunday morning on our way back to Colorado. Because we were both in Christian education, we stood for the visitor introduction for those in full-time Christian ministry. We were each given an envelope with a letter from Dr. Hyles thanking us for visiting and $10 to "get lunch on him." We went on up to Comiskey Park and used the $10 to buy tickets to watch the White Sox that afternoon instead.

bgwilkinson said:
My apologies for your unchristian treatment.

Much appreciated but the people who banned me hurt my friend more than hurt me. He ended up leaving FBC within a year when he approached the "administrators" who made the decision.

I've forgiven those to whom it was due (even without their recognition). Water under the bridge for me now. :)

I appreciate your humility, bgw!

Jan '07.

I was so appalled at the music (a.o.g. charismaniac nonsense), and the screeching, that I told God I was done arguing with Him, after 2 years, and would never go back.

Sent from my C6730 using Tapatalk

sword said:
Smellin Coffee said:
My college graduation.

I was never in a wedding or even attended one there, but I have to know on what grounds were you not approved.

Can someone enlighten us on the criteria to be in a FBCH wedding?

I was not approved because I had left after my graduation, was falsely accused of forging the Dave Hyles police report and my mom was the editor for the Glover book. They thought (wrongly) that I would cause trouble. This was about my friend and his big day so there is no way I would have made any scenes.

August 1986.  Always thought I'd get back but don't care if I do now.  I'm content where I am.

SwampHag said:
August 1986.  Always thought I'd get back but don't care if I do now.  I'm content where I am.
So, if you visit another church in another state it means you are not content with where you are?

An actual church service?  Probably May 1986

A wedding?  September 1986  (Evidently I was approved.  Not sure how that worked, but it was a then-staff member's wedding.)

Other than that - Bro. Hyles' funeral and the "It's a Jungle Out There" Spectacular..... 

I think sometime in 2005. I had been dating a girl from a foreign country that was over 30 was living in the dorms and she wanted me to get permission from JS to date her.  Prior to that, our dates were meeting her in her bus route area and around Chicago and Northwest Indiana. I had already helped her get caught up on her school bill as she was about to get withdrawn. She was so poor and alone in America, that I had to even had help her cover her food expenses when working at her off campus job and some other stuff - clothes, make up etc.  The week I  was to meet JS she said wanted me to help her get an apartment and a car, so she could move off campus and freely see me as an adult woman.

I met JS in his office after the morning service and he assured me he loved me and that I was a wonderful Christian man that had had some struggles, but knew I was on track and growing. He kept repeatedly saying that he gave his blessings for us dating.  JS told me  I was a great guy and this girl would be blessed to get to know me better and work towards a relationship. He did say that he wanted to get with my current pastor and have him counsel me on some things and that he would let the girl know he gave this relationship the thumbs up.

Fast forward a week, my pastor hands me a letter he received from JS basically saying he did not want a heathen, reprobate like me anywhere near "one his girls" (maybe he wanted to keep her for himself? She was Spanish, beautiful and young). I talked to the girl via phone that day and she said JS had contacted the college (specifically Belinda Casteel or whatever name she now sports) and I was forbidden to speak to her. She said she could never talk to me again.

What a blessing!! Shortly after that, God sent a wonderful girl my way and now we have been married going on 8 heavenly years.  I can honestly say she is the perfect soul mate for me. We get along splendidly, never a harsh word spoken and we are enjoying every single minute being together!!

Thanks Jack  for being a deceitful, little man by saying one thing and doing another and keeping me from making a HUGE mistake. If he had not lied and sanctioned me dating this other girl, I quite possibly never would have met and married  God's will for me!!!