The Mega-Thread for COVID Evangelists

Our constitutional rights and free speech are there to protect us from either being limited by our own government. They don't and can't offer any type of protection from the decisions of those in private enterprise. Those enterprises aren't "free" and they aren't a government entity. Spotify is a publicly traded company headquartered in Sweden. The way I see it, they can remove Joe Rogan or give him a bigger contract or whatever they want. Their customers can subscribe or cancel whenever they want. Artists on their service can pull their music or add more. If public opinion drives down listenership, Spotify will choose to do what is in their best interest. If listenership goes up and Joe Rogan becomes more popular which generates more revenue, Spotify will also do what is in their best interest.
Personally, I have never listened to a single Joe Rogan podcast and I am a Spotify subscriber.
We have political figures who are exhorting private market entities to shut voices down and deplatform people, and that is only in one ideological direction when it occurs. I don't think that the playing field is neutral given the current bias on the exchange in the not so free marketplace of ideas. And I'm not the only one who sees the political animus which is having real effects on the ability to exchange those ideas.

part of post i made in my "viral stupidity" thread i posted somewhere else.... even
democrats are noticing how some of their fellow democrats taking the lead on
preaching to rest of us about covid19 safety, are the biggest violators of their
own rules.......

it demonstrates well how those in power show they don;t have the intelligence or wisdom
to wield the power under-informed voter gave them. .... they think they shouldn;t have
to follow the very same rules they laid out for the rest of us.... ..which.... given the fact
this virus has been confirmed to be very real and very deadly
... is stupid.. because it appears
to indicate they think their status as "leaders" will make them immune to it..... (we have
already seen the fallacy of that notion due to the numbers of infections
among "elite" leadership like AOC and others who openly flanted rules... )

but my beliefs on it are this.... . we know this virus is real and we know it can kill people...
regardless of how stupid or hypocritical the "power elite" are..... don;t follow them into their
own traps.... let them get caught in those traps alone....don;t neglect personal protection
measrues just because the "power-elite"... order us to follow protocols and then violate
them themselves....regardless of what they say or do...it;s not worth letting yourself get
infected just to stand on a politcal principle and make a counter point to the idiots in DC
protect yourselves and your family.... because none of them in DC will...... no matter
how much they talk as if they care...your health doesn;t matter to them either way......

Last edited:
We have political figures who are exhorting private market entities to shut voices down and deplatform people, and that is only in one ideological direction when it occurs. I don't think that the playing field is neutral given the current bias on the exchange in the not so free marketplace of ideas. And I'm not the only one who sees the political animus which is having real effects on the ability to exchange those ideas.
Other than the few artists that have pulled their music and spoken up, I haven't seen any reports of government or political figures involving themselves in this particular controversy. And while there may be a bias or at least the appearance of a bias, I don't know how you would propose we fix this. Surely you aren't advocating government regulation of independent social networks, are you?

Other than the few artists that have pulled their music and spoken up, I haven't seen any reports of government or political figures involving themselves in this particular controversy. And while there may be a bias or at least the appearance of a bias, I don't know how you would propose we fix this. Surely you aren't advocating government regulation of independent social networks, are you?
Government regulates all kinds of industries to some degree, including communication (FCC). I'm not advocating for government to limit what people can say, but rather give guidelines for social network platforms to be equitable in their moderation/restriction policies. Clearly the free market regarding big tech and social media is vastly disproportionately biased towards suppressing one side of the free speech dialogue. That is not a new position for some conservatives...

Link
Link

And the contingency of the public that are attempting to exert influence (legislatively, as well as by normal free market expressions like boycott, etc) is very real...

Link

Link

It is clear that those who are fully vaccinated can still transmit and be infected by Covid. So why the mandates?

It is clear that those who are fully vaccinated can still transmit and be infected by Covid. So why the mandates?
Mandates are waning in popularity across the country but they still effectively control the spread of disease and offer reliable protection against infection. How are you tying vaccination to masking? And just as a reminder, for the record, I am against mandates.

Mandates are waning in popularity across the country but they still effectively control the spread of disease and offer reliable protection against infection. How are you tying vaccination to masking? And just as a reminder, for the record, I am against mandates.
I’m not tying anything to anything. Just stating the science that vaccines do not prevent you from getting or giving Covid.
I have been vaccinated (including a booster) but don’t think it in any way shape or form protects me from being infected. IF they did prohibit the spread, I might understand a mandate. I have 2 friends who are fully vaccinated and both of them have still had Covid twice.

I’m not tying anything to anything. Just stating the science that vaccines do not prevent you from getting or giving Covid.
I have been vaccinated (including a booster) but don’t think it in any way shape or form protects me from being infected. IF they did prohibit the spread, I might understand a mandate. I have 2 friends who are fully vaccinated and both of them have still had Covid twice.
Not sure how I misread your original statement, but I did, and completely agree with what you're getting at.

Government regulates all kinds of industries to some degree, including communication (FCC). I'm not advocating for government to limit what people can say, but rather give guidelines for social network platforms to be equitable in their moderation/restriction policies. Clearly the free market regarding big tech and social media is vastly disproportionately biased towards suppressing one side of the free speech dialogue. That is not a new position for some conservatives...

Link
Link

And the contingency of the public that are attempting to exert influence (legislatively, as well as by normal free market expressions like boycott, etc) is very real...

Link

Link
I agree it's quite a mess....I just don't know how anyone can fix it without making things worse. Slippery slope and all of that.

I agree it's quite a mess....I just don't know how anyone can fix it without making things worse. Slippery slope and all of that.
I hear ya, I really do. This is not an easy quagmire from which to pull ourselves. The paradox of tolerance in the realm of free speech is certainly nothing new, but we are in as real a battle for the control of how ideas are to be freely exchanged as I have ever seen in my half-century of life. Way before this age of dis/misinformation I was a major proponent of free speech, even at the expense of the absolute ugliness of that speech (like Flint, skinheads, etc).

One of my college students, fully vaccinated, just had covid and didn't have an easy time of it. No hospital, but a solid two weeks of feeling quite ill and now residually quite weak. Young, healthy. I am unvaccinated, had Omicron, barely more than a bad cold. And I'm old. I seriously cannot detect a rhyme or reason to this.

One of my college students, fully vaccinated, just had covid and didn't have an easy time of it. No hospital, but a solid two weeks of feeling quite ill and now residually quite weak. Young, healthy. I am unvaccinated, had Omicron, barely more than a bad cold. And I'm old. I seriously cannot detect a rhyme or reason to this.
I haven't seen a rhyme or reason either. I had it in November 2020. Really only had body aches and congestion for 2-3 days. Never had a fever. Didn't lose sense of taste or smell. My older brother (by 20 months) had it a couple of months later and he had a terrible time including an outpatient visit to the hospital. He struggled for about 3 weeks.

There are studies in progress trying to figure out why some people never get Covid even if they are intentionally exposed:
'Never Covids"

My wife just came home last evening and said that her school district has officially made masks optional. The restrictions are slowly easing up all over the country in places that have been strongholds. Yesterday a coworker told me of an acquaintance of his that had contracted covid three months ago and went to the hospital but got treated in the same day. After being fine and symptom free for two and a half months he show me symptoms again and contracted double pneumonia and died suddenly.

Since Twisted isn't here to post this :D

Since Twisted isn't here to post this :D

I know that here in Tennessee, they've been checking the sewage for monitoring the pandemic. Don't see how they can allegedly tell which variants are present since they've already admitted they can't tell the difference between the variants from tests when they take a sample to determine if someone has the VID! Many people here, including medical doctors I know, have stated that they believe that the water may have the virus in it. Of course, this sounds like a conspiracy theory, but to many, it seems plausible.