The mentally ill have no business driving our culture

FSSL

Staff member
Administrator
Doctor
Reaction score
Transgenders suffer as mentally ill citizens. Politics prevents them from getting the help they need.

Transgendered men do not become women... they become feminized men.

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/06/15145/

"The idea that one?s sex is a feeling, not a fact, has permeated our culture and is leaving casualties in its wake. Gender dysphoria should be treated with psychotherapy, not surgery."

"...both the state and federal governments are actively seeking to block any treatments that can be construed as challenging the assumptions and choices of transgendered youngsters."

Your physical makeup, your body, is defined in your genetic code. That would have to be altered to become the opposite sex, to make the change.

The real person contained within the body is soul and spirit, I know of no studies that even hint at changing that part of man.

Change is not possible at this point through science so all that is left is mutilation.

"mutilation" A word that needs to be used more often :)

bgwilkinson said:
Change is not possible at this point through science so all that is left is mutilation.

Or possibly mutation within the DNA. Possibly. :)

Which would have already been identified.

It is not about science with transgenders. It is about feelings. Feelings that have overwhelmed the evidences.

FSSL said:
Which would have already been identified.

It is not about science with transgenders. It is about feelings. Feelings that have overwhelmed the evidences.

Not yet. Science is still expanding.

Plus if this is evolutionary, then it might not be understood for another century or two.

I have spoken with two different geneticists (one a Christian, the other secular -neither of whom know the other) and they both agreed the potential within the genetic makeup of the individual could be involved. I won't argue their point because frankly, I don't understand anything about genetics.

My point is not defending their position, but rather defending the point genetics cannot be ruled out just yet.

Right. That is why I said it is not based on science.

FSSL said:
Right. That is why I said it is not based on science.

True. But to deny it most adamantly cannot be within the science is just as much of a reach.

I don't understand their perspective but I believe them when they say it is innate. Too many are being bullied, beaten up and even killed and yet can't shake the way they feel about themselves. For some teens and even young children to feel this way even though they are being abused by people in society, is telling to me. So rather than throw the "mentally ill" card at them, I choose to accept their feelings as being real and will show them compassion when the society (particularly religions of various sorts) oppose them, sometimes with violence.

Science is testable and repeatable. It is not a political theory.

Read the article above. It is a leading scientist whose specialty is transgenderism. He has been successful in helping many match their feelings to reality.

Mutilating one's body to match their feelings has had zero help... according to John Hopkins department of psychiatry

There is NO hope offered to the transgender if the approach is that they think the "fix" is mutilation or have mutant DNA.

Masking one's feelings by allowing them to continue in their delusions leads to an excessive mental conflict which exponentially leads to suicide.

The idea that there is a mutant DNA strand does not advance science. It comes from a political bias, which denies science, in favor of feigned civil rights that requires the intervention of the Department of Justice to "persuade" the public.

FSSL said:
The idea that there is a mutant DNA strand does not advance science.

The scientific advancement is in the discovery. Take for example Pompe Disease (the same disease in the movie Extraordinary Measures, starring Harrison Ford). My father-in-law was eventually diagnosed with it YEARS after he had the symptoms. He started feeling the effects in his mid-20s but it was passed off as Chronic Fatigue, an obscure strand of Mono, and then Mayo Clinic said it was all psychosomatic after putting him through weeks of tests. It wasn't until 20 years later that at John Hopkins, they had recently discovered Pompe Disease and sure enough, he tested positive.

Pompe is genetic where both the mother and father has to carry the disease via a defective gene. If one parent has it but the other doesn't, the children will not get Pompe but could be a carrier, depending on whether the "bad" gene gets passed down from the defective parent. As it turns out, because my mother-in-law isn't a carrier, my wife can't ever get Pompe but she is a carrier. I don't have the "bad" gene but if my kids get the one gene from my wife, they could potentially marry someone who unknowingly carries the "bad" gene and their children could potentially get Pompe.

Genetics does not mean a smooth advancement in scientific advancement. In the case of my FIL, he is on bi-weekly enzyme treatments which only slows the progression of his disease. He now is in a wheelchair about 75% of his day and can no longer drive or even walk without support. There is no cure because it is genetic.

So perhaps because of his story and all the "experts" who told him it was all in his head when in reality, he knew the truth and it was later proven. Political agenda or not, I choose to give Transgenders the benefit of the doubt until there is empirical truth to the contrary.

FSSL said:
It comes from a political bias, which denies science, in favor of feigned civil rights that requires the intervention of the Department of Justice to "persuade" the public.

Maybe, maybe not. Too soon for me to make that call.

Congress has been in competition with Bellevue for housing the mentally ill for some time now. 

FSSL said:
Transgenders suffer as mentally ill citizens.

They aren't mentally ill. They are living in rebellion against God.

I do believe that there can be medical conditions (eg brain injury) that are classified mentally ill.

I also view those who "God gave them over to a depraved mind" as mentally ill... that would be a good thread!

Sometimes these go together.

Tom Brennan said:
FSSL said:
Transgenders suffer as mentally ill citizens.

They aren't mentally ill. They are living in rebellion against God.

4-year olds aren't living in rebellion against God because of their feelings and attractions. Just sayin'.

4 year olds typically dress up for play, innocently. When society encourages that 4 year old to adopt a feminized approach to life, the parents/teachers are responsible for bringing that kid back to reality.... Instead, we have people distorting reality.

What started out as child's play becomes distorted by adults.

If you have a four year old with a sexual drive, or with the inclination to think they are a gender other than what they were born with...you have some irresponsible, ungodly parents pushing their child in a direction he or she has no concept about!

FSSL said:
4 year olds typically dress up for play, innocently. When society encourages that 4 year old to adopt a feminized approach to life, the parents/teachers are responsible for bringing that kid back to reality.... Instead, we have people distorting reality.

What started out as child's play becomes distorted by adults.

And when 2 year old boys play with Barbies and reject the Matchbox cars to the chagrin of their parents, it isn't distorted by adults.

T-Bone said:
If you have a four year old with a sexual drive, or with the inclination to think they are a gender other than what they were born with...you have some irresponsible, ungodly parents pushing their child in a direction he or she has no concept about!

This is actually a great point. When kids are DISCOURAGED by their parents initially and still go back to those traits, it isn't about a sexual drive within them, but rather innate. This goes back to the possibility of genetic code.

Why fall back to a genetic code idea? Where does personality fit into your thinking? Personality is a separate entity from DNA. We already have many scientists that recognize a personality basis.

Smellin Coffee said:
And when 2 year old boys play with Barbies and reject the Matchbox cars to the chagrin of their parents, it isn't distorted by adults.

And how many of those two-year-olds, if not treated as if they are actually a little girl in a little boy's body, will eventually outgrow the pretense that they are a girl?

For that matter, how many are merely little boys who prefer Barbies to Matchbox cars?