The NFL and Patriotism

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
I'm sure everyone the past few days has been following the comments and actions of our President as well as the NFL commissioner, owners, and players.  We saw everything yesterday during the national anthem from teams remaining in the locker room, to players kneeling, to players standing with joined arms, to players with their hand over their heart, to a player praying. 

What are your thoughts?  Should this be stopped?  How can this be stopped?  Is their enough patriotism left in the United States to make a difference in this situation?

What think ye, Hacker Nation?

If they want to make a statement, do it on their own time.

I don't know anyone who has an employer that will let them "protest" while on the clock.

Of course the idea of not watching or going to NFL games is heresy to many as they equate football to the trinity.

All pro sports could end today and I couldn't care less.

One of the greatest attributes of America is that she gives you the right to sit during her anthem, burn her flag, and abstain from her pledge. She wouldn't be America if she didn't. Greatness never demands that you see it as such. Greatness never demands respect. Greatness stands tall and takes it, and never says a word. I love the anthem, I cherish the flag, but WAY more, I love a country that allows the freedom to not.

It's a populist position that scored the president a lot of points, but it's un-American. To many men have died for the flag and the anthem, to coerce people into standing for it. IMO, the President as the chief executive and highest law enforcement officer in the land, has absolutely no business calling for Americans to be fired for excersing the right to free expression. It is just one of many examples where the President plays to a rabid populist and abandons well thought out, stable, and conservative ethics.

I agree that, "There can be no greater dishonor to our flag than invoking it against our liberties."

RAIDER said:
I'm sure everyone the past few days has been following the comments and actions of our President as well as the NFL commissioner, owners, and players.  We saw everything yesterday during the national anthem from teams remaining in the locker room, to players kneeling, to players standing with joined arms, to players with their hand over their heart, to a player praying. 

What are your thoughts?  Should this be stopped?  How can this be stopped?  Is their enough patriotism left in the United States to make a difference in this situation?

What think ye, Hacker Nation?

Haven't read the responses.

However, I haven't paid attention to what the president said and the responses from the NFL.  Mr Trump seems to excel at posting things that annoy various people and groups.

It is expected of US citizens that they show loyalty and respect for the flag and the government ("I pledge allegiance, etc...").  This is shown to the flag by standing with the right hand over the heart or saluting if in uniform.  Showing respect to the flag in this manner does not mean that one agrees with everything the government is doing.  Not showing this respect is disgraceful and wrong.

The team owners are the authority over the team; they can spread the word down the ranks that regardless of personal feeling, players WILL properly show respect or will not play.  If team owners can't be bothered, then people can boycott games.  If nobody cares enough to do so, then, this (and worse) will continue.

IMO, the President as the chief executive and highest law enforcement officer in the land, has absolutely no business calling for Americans to be fired for excersing the right to free expression.

I know this may come as a shock to you but they do not have a right to express their views during the anthem on company time. Freedom of speech is you vs government, not you versus business. The owner of the team could have said you will stand or be cut. Plain and simple.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/09/25/gregg-jarrett-trump-is-correct-nfl-teams-can-legally-fire-players-for-their-conduct.html

Mr. White said:
One of the greatest attributes of America is that she gives you the right to sit during her anthem, burn her flag, and abstain from her pledge. She wouldn't be America if she didn't. Greatness never demands that you see it as such. Greatness never demands respect. Greatness stands tall and takes it, and never says a word. I love the anthem, I cherish the flag, but WAY more, I love a country that allows the freedom to not.

It's a populist position that scored the president a lot of points, but it's un-American. To many men have died for the flag and the anthem, to coerce people into standing for it. IMO, the President as the chief executive and highest law enforcement officer in the land, has absolutely no business calling for Americans to be fired for excersing the right to free expression. It is just one of many examples where the President plays to a rabid populist and abandons well thought out, stable, and conservative ethics.

I agree that, "There can be no greater dishonor to our flag than invoking it against our liberties."
As far as your ONE & only post on the FFF.........

Though elected, the President is a citizen of the our country & has the right as does any other to express his agreement or displeasure with what is happening in our culture. He has, like no other a bully-pulpit & his thumping it is NOT unAmerican. 

The President is NOT as you stated, "the highest law enforcement officer in America." The Judiciary Act of 1789 created the Office of the Attorney General which evolved over the years into the head of the Department of Justice and chief law enforcement officer of the Federal Government.

And about "rabid populist", if the many fans disagree or if the President disagrees with what the take a knee players (or sitting or stretching or any other disdainful displays) it does not make THEM irrationally extreme in opinion or practice as rabid is defined in the dictionary. If anything, it is the spoiled, overpaid, unappreciative, irrational, rebellious athletes that your opinion should apply to in this case.

You come off super patriotic but then you slam those who have the right to speak out against & protest the protesters & boycott the compromisers, with your main target being the President.

The players should be standing ....if not they should be fired.

Don't watch the games and don't go to the games..

Sherryh said:
The players should be standing ....if not they should be fired.
Don't watch the games and don't go to the games..
I agree 100%

If they want to protest or promote change, on their own time, I support that right 100%.

I don't care what they do, they are playing games for $

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Georgia leads the way at high school game.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/10/01/epic-entire-high-school-football-team-runs-onto-field-with-american-flags.html