The 'piling on' of Mark Driscoll!

Tarheel Baptist

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
The past few days, everyone in evangelicalism seems to be piling on Driscoll....since Chandler and Acts 29 threw him out of the organization he started.

NOT defending Driscoll, but this distancing is based on facts known for a long time...and things which Driscoll had long acknowledged and apologized for.....is there another shoe set to drop?

If not, I am curious as to the timing of this reaction to these things.
Why now, as opposed to when they actually happened?

http://www.christianheadlines.com/blog/mark-driscoll-s-books-pulled-from-the-southern-baptist-convention-s-lifeway-stores.html

A friend i have lunch with sometimes thinks Driscoll is the greatest man on earth.

I dont really care for him or his preaching and methods.

ddgently said:
I think it all came to a head a couple weeks ago, when it was revealed he had been posting (anonymously) on his church's internet forum. A sampling:

http://rachelheldevans.com/blog/driscoll-troubled-mind-william-wallace

He sort of apologized, but also sort of didn't.

I think it's just become more public how he really is: a cursing, swilling, smoking mannagawd.

The comments were made/ written 14 years ago!
He apologized and even wrote about it, apologizing again in a 2006 book he wrote.

All old news.....

Tarheel Baptist said:
ddgently said:
I think it all came to a head a couple weeks ago, when it was revealed he had been posting (anonymously) on his church's internet forum. A sampling:

I think it's just become more public how he really is: a cursing, swilling, smoking mannagawd.

The comments were made/ written 14 years ago!
He apologized and even wrote about it, apologizing again in a 2006 book he wrote.

All old news.....
Exactly!

Tarheel Baptist said:
The past few days, everyone in evangelicalism seems to be piling on Driscoll....since Chandler and Acts 29 threw him out of the organization he started.

IMO, the fact that you or anyone else cares is the bigger problem. 

ddgently said:

Posting a link from a liberal, low life, fem-dem-bot as a source. Why am I not surprised?

While I am no raving fan of Driscoll, I am far less a fan of dishonesty. Especially that wrapped in the thin veneer of faux Christianity and offered as something intellectually superior.

Like Tarheel said, "Old news". People seem to keep trying to bring it up to make money or fame for themselves.

From what I've read, while he acknowledged his trolling in the 2006 book, the posts themselves weren't public until recently.

Seems like a case of a critical mass of people finally saying enough is enough

Green Beret said:
Posting a link from a liberal, low life, fem-dem-bot as a source. Why am I not surprised?

Striking the love you have for your sister in Christ! Threatened much?

ddgently said:
From what I've read, while he acknowledged his trolling in the 2006 book, the posts themselves weren't public until recently.

Green Beret said:

More utter lack of surprise. If anything, you are consistent in your lack of discernment. You may call Rachel Held Evans your spiritual sister if you wish. It would certainly fit you since she is "featured on NPR, Slate, The BBC, The Washington Post, The Guardian (UK), The Times London, The Huffington Post, and Oprah.com".

However, based on her writings and affiliations, I say she runs in line with those we were warned about in Jude 4, 10-16.

But why change now and let the Word of God provide you with a moral compass heading? Going against God's design seems to be your default setting.

Convicted much? (That's a rhetorical question for the dull among us whose conscience is seared by this world's wisdom)

ddgently said:
terrible isn't it? I mean, it's not like he had sexual relationships with a 17 yr old or ran away with his secretary or his ministry was riddled with accusations of child endangerment/molestations. Or ran a home that abused children.

terrible.

I'm a huge Chandler fan but I'm extremely disappointed in the A29 decision. It was ALL political. Everything Driscoll is being accused of was NOT new news. But because they were catching so much heat from affiliate churches they decided to hang Mark out to dry in order to save face with their network.

I don't agree with all things Driscoll but this thing has turned into a witch hunt and, quite frankly, I feel very badly for him & his family. He is in a dark, lonely position right now.

I predict that he will step down from Mars Hill shortly simply to protect his family from all the flaming darts. They are still very young & vulnerable.

This secular parachurch ministry has no authority. Christians wouldn't care about this decision. These heretics need to "seek help", not him.
To haughtily suggest to Mark Driscoll he needs help is quite the revealing of a pharisee. It's time for them to get saved

A parachurch organization has no business planting churches. This is a job the Apostle Paul commanded for the local churches, The Saints.

So their opinion, while they blatantly act in opposition of scripture, isn't worth a penny

Green Beret said:
More utter lack of surprise. If anything, you are consistent in your lack of discernment. You may call Rachel Held Evans your spiritual sister if you wish. It would certainly fit you since she is "featured on NPR, Slate, The BBC, The Washington Post, The Guardian (UK), The Times London, The Huffington Post, and Oprah.com".

Where someone publishes has zero bearing on whether or not they are correct. The New York Times is a "liberal" publication, yet "conservative" David Brooks publishes there. Fox News is a "conservative" broadcaster, and yet "liberals" Alan Colmes and Juan Williams work there. You shouldn't dismiss someone just because of he publishes, no matter his perspective.

Green Beret said:
However, based on her writings and affiliations, I say she runs in line with those we were warned about in Jude 4, 10-16.

But why change now and let the Word of God provide you with a moral compass heading? Going against God's design seems to be your default setting.

Convicted much? (That's a rhetorical question for the dull among us whose conscience is seared by this world's wisdom)

Congratulations on having it all figured out. You must be either very proud of yourself, or very humbled, having cornered the market on Absolute TruthTM.

Biker said:
This secular parachurch ministry has no authority.

I'm not sure you know what "secular" means.  And they certainly have the "authority" to determine their own membership, don't they?

Christians wouldn't care about this decision.

Apparently, a great number in fact do.

These heretics need to "seek help", not him.

What "heresies" are Acts29 guilty of? Please, enlighten us.

Patebald said:
But because they were catching so much heat from affiliate churches they decided to hang Mark out to dry in order to save face with their network.

"Moreover, he must be well thought of by outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, into a snare of the devil" (1 Tim. 3:7).

The Rogue Tomato said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

IMO, the fact that you or anyone else cares is the bigger problem.

Something that could be posted concerning many/most of the OP's here.
Move on to one of the earth changing threads...... :)

ddgently said:

Green Beret said:

Again, the posts were public and much discussed....they were made on his church's web site. They were referenced and discussed in the 2006 book.

Again, I'm not defending what was said or questioning what was done....just the timing.
Why is what Driscoll said or did 14 years ago worse now than when he actually wrote them?

The timing and motives are questionable IMO.

And whether or not she's a sista in Christ is irrelevant to my point.
She's a loon....

ddgently said:
Striking the love you have for your sister in Christ!

Considering that she became famous for sneering at traditional Christian beliefs, this is at best in doubt.

ddgently said:
Green Beret said:

Congratulations on having it all figured out. You must be either very proud of yourself, or very humbled, having cornered the market on Absolute TruthTM.

LOL! So the answer is "yes". I thought so.

Tarheel Baptist said:
ddgently said:

Green Beret said:

Again, the posts were public and much discussed....they were made on his church's web site. They were referenced and discussed in the 2006 book.

Again, I'm not defending what was said or questioning what was done....just the timing.
Why is what Driscoll said or did 14 years ago worse now than when he actually wrote them?

The timing and motives are questionable IMO.

Who can really know for sure? Sometimes after years of abuse and misbehavior people throw up their arms and say "Enough is too much!" That's my conjecture, anyway: a critical mass of people getting fed up with him and starting to make enough noise to garner attention/action.