The preachers I heard at HAC

My friend Long Gone writes: "I also was always amused when I was at FBCH that Jim Vineyard was saved after watching Graham, Ray Young was saved after watching Billy Graham and Johnny Pope was saved after watching Graham."

I have never heard this before.  Johnny Pope was saved when he was four, but they never told us how it happened. Jim Vineyard told us that after his wife got saved, her good influence helped lead him to Christ, but he never got more specific.

Can you tell us where you got this information?

By far the preachers I most enjoyed were evangelist.

Number 1 on the list was a preaching machine by the name of Johnny Pope.

I met Johnny before ever going to HAC.

I still remember him showing up half an hour late for Homiletics class he taught. He announced that he had earned his Doctor's degree that morning..................He had helped deliver his daughter on the way to the taking his wife to the hospital for the birth.

Vince Massi said:
My friend Long Gone writes: "I also was always amused when I was at FBCH that Jim Vineyard was saved after watching Graham, Ray Young was saved after watching Billy Graham and Johnny Pope was saved after watching Graham."

I have never heard this before.  Johnny Pope was saved when he was four, but they never told us how it happened. Jim Vineyard told us that after his wife got saved, her good influence helped lead him to Christ, but he never got more specific.

Can you tell us where you got this information?

I remember Pope saying in class that they watched Billy Graham crusade as a family and afterward his father led him to Christ.

I remember Vineyard talking about his wife's influence but also in a class he said that his actual conversion experience happen in a hotel room in Moline, Illinois after watching Graham on TV.

We are talking about memories from 30 years ago so I am telling you as best as I remember.

Long Gone writes: "I remember Pope saying in class that they watched Billy Graham crusade as a family and afterward his father led him to Christ.

I remember Vineyard talking about his wife's influence but also in a class he said that his actual conversion experience happen in a hotel room in Moline, Illinois after watching Graham on TV."

Man, you talk about idealism and the fear of Bob Jones University!

Lester Roloff

My senior year at HAC Roloff preached in chapel & tore the house down.

Right after their was a family that he had scheduled to speak to & he let his Bible on the pulpit. Ron Robinson who was an alumni of on of his men's facilities noticed the Bible on the pulpit & walked away with it & brought it to our next class. We were looking through his hand written study notes & sermon outlines. Out teacher for that class took the Bible to the offices & used the copy machine & made copies for everyone in the class.ood memories.

Ron later returned the Bible.

fishinnut said:
Lester Roloff

Right after their was a family that he had scheduled to speak to & he let his Bible on the pulpit. Ron Robinson who was an alumni of on of his men's facilities noticed the Bible on the pulpit & walked away with it & brought it to our next class. We were looking through his hand written study notes & sermon outlines. Out teacher for that class took the Bible to the offices & used the copy machine & made copies for everyone in the class.ood memories.

Sounds like theft of intellectual property to me.

fishinnut said:
Lester Roloff

I was waiting for you you say that is was an NIV.

fishinnut said:
Lester Roloff

Ron Robinson and his wife, Mary (Lutz), are still faithfully serving in Fairbanks, AK. 
http://www.northstarbaptistak.com

His brother, Keith, pastors a church, a Nazarene church in Oak Ridge, TN.
I believe that his brother, Tom, also is serving in Alaska, maybe in missionary or church planting
work.

fishinnut said:

I still remember him showing up half an hour late for Homiletics class he taught. He announced that he had earned his Doctor's degree that morning..................He had helped deliver his daughter on the way to the taking his wife to the hospital for the birth.

Pope was fantastic!

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:

Pope was fantastic!

Heh... so we do have  a Baptist Pope after all...

:D

(ducking and running)

fishinnut said:
Lester Roloff

Do you remember when Roloff sent a semi full of pink grapefruit for the college students?

RAIDER said:
fishinnut said:
Lester Roloff

Do you remember when Roloff sent a semi full of pink grapefruit for the college students?
No, but I do remember him preaching "Pawing in the Valley"......at PS.

Vince Massi said:
Bill Rice.

His sermon "Don't Be a Morning Glory" is one of the most helpful I have ever heard.

I never heard Bill Rice preach in person.

RAIDER said:
Vince Massi said:
Bill Rice.

His sermon "Don't Be a Morning Glory" is one of the most helpful I have ever heard.

I never heard Bill Rice preach in person.

Raider you HACkER this is a thread about people you DID hear.  Read and follow directions

Jo said:
At the time, I loved hearing from Lester Roloff and the girls he brought to sing and testify about their lives being changed.

I still remember some of the songs they sang like "I've a roof up above me.  I've a good place to sleep.  There's food on the table and shoes on my feet.  You gave me your love, Lord, and a fine family.  Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me."

Loved to hear them sing scriptures, as well.  It was just acapella, and it was beautiful.

I also loved when he preached.

And sang acapella and off key...."Evening and morning and noon will I pray...."

I also liked when Steve Roberson would visit and tell his testimony.    (Bobby Roberson's son from Walkertown, NC)

Teri in NC said:
And Steve Byrd from Fayetteville.

When he came, I got to go to Tiebel's to eat.  :)
I remember visiting his church in 87 and 88.