The Preeminence of the Word!

T-Bone

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Excellent article...and a great analysis of what is happening in churches today, and why so many, even leaders are falling away.

https://cogentchristianity.com/2019/08/13/skillets-john-cooper-on-apostasy-among-young-christian-leaders/?fbclid=IwAR1aBNu38oOhQDCs-kdfFpEI3Xwh8bcI_E53PWIHZAnTYQ0bddXbwKSZpOM

Yes, that was really good.  After I read the reasons cited by Sampson for leaving the faith I also came away with the impression his understanding of Biblical truth was seriously lacking.  And as your linked article stated, too often music is used to whip up emotion and bypass the mind.  But his strongest point that we need to quit elevating young worship leader musicians as something unique (his word "influencer") was really spot on.  I literally made this same point just this last Sunday to my SS Class.  The time-tested truth that we should cultivate our leaders from those with some life experience and wisdom under their belt ("not a novice") is often ignored in favor of a youth-culture that is "cool", "hip", and "relevant".

Thanks for the link.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Yes, good article.  Being a super-star Christian musician does not necessarily make anyone a theological expert or guru that all the rest of us should follow.  Examples: Dan Haseltine of Jars of Clay who in 2014 declared support for gay marriage; Joel Hemphill who openly denies the Trinity and deity of Christ; the Gungors, who questioned the story of Adam and Eve and Noah's Flood, and the latest I heard was that Michael Gungor was now calling himself an atheist and Lisa Gungor wasn't sure what she believed.  We all need to stop making heroes and infallible gurus out of the super-stars of Christendom, whether it be the big name musicians, or mega-church preachers, or whoever.