- through preaching, teaching, counseling and ministry
2. To Realize the Discovery of Spiritual Truth is more Precious than Gold
3. To Avoid Making Bible Study an End in Itself
- It should make us cleaner, bring us closer, and challenge us to live for God
4. To Avoid Radical Views and Hobby Horse Doctrines
5. To Beware of Creating New Doctrines or going beyond where the Bible speaks
6. To Use Tools Available for the Study of Scripture
- always be a learner. stretch and work at study methods and resources
- be a reader.  a preacher's library should always be expanding with books he's read
7. Never Teach the Scriptures without first Examining yourself to see if you are living and learning what you preach.

What would you add or change? 

That sounds pretty good as it is.  :)

I can't think of anything I'd add or change at the moment. But perhaps further discussion will bring something up.

Decent list...I'd probably I would prefer to see it echoing Scriptural language/terminology/ideas more than it does. (See passages below for examples.)

#4 on the list concerns me quite a bit though.

"Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears." Acts 20:28-31

"And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love." Ephesians 4:11-16

"If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed. Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

Command and teach these things. Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers. 1 Timothy 4:6-16

"So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory." -1 Peter 5:1-4

rsc2a said:
Decent list...I'd probably I would prefer to see it echoing Scriptural language/terminology/ideas more than it does. (See passages below for examples.)

#4 on the list concerns me quite a bit though.

"Pay careful attention to yourselves and to all the flock, in which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to care for the church of God, which he obtained with his own blood. I know that after my departure fierce wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock; and from among your own selves will arise men speaking twisted things, to draw away the disciples after them. Therefore be alert, remembering that for three years I did not cease night or day to admonish every one with tears." Acts 20:28-31

"And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the shepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love." Ephesians 4:11-16

"If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed. Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe.

Command and teach these things. Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you. Practice these things, immerse yourself in them, so that all may see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on the teaching. Persist in this, for by so doing you will save both yourself and your hearers. 1 Timothy 4:6-16

"So I exhort the elders among you, as a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as a partaker in the glory that is going to be revealed: shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory." -1 Peter 5:1-4

I'm not sure what your quotes have to do with a preacher avoiding teaching radical doctrines or hobby horse doctrines?

Wisdoms Friend said:
I'm not sure what your quotes have to do with a preacher avoiding teaching radical doctrines or hobby horse doctrines?

Nothing.  :)

Well, something...but the quotes weren't necessarily for that part of my statement. They went with...

"I would prefer to see it echoing Scriptural language/terminology/ideas more than it does"

...the list is decent, yet incomplete by not addressing certain mandated responsibilities and not leaning enough on the authority of Scripture.

Important!
The list may be fine for what it was intended for. It really depends on the context of the delivery (e.g. supplement to an oratory presentation vs complete teaching). It's not wrong, just incomplete.

Wisdoms Friend said:
Given in our staff meeting this morning by our senior pastor:

Seven Responsibilities of a Pastor / Preacher
1. To Teach and Share what we have Learned:
- from our study of the Word of God
- from the work of the Spirit in our heart
- be a reader.  a preacher's library should always be expanding with books he's read
7. Never Teach the Scriptures without first Examining yourself to see if you are living and learning what you preach.
8. Pick out someone to embarrass in the crowd during the sermon.
9. Yell at ANYONE who dares to leave during the service. This includes someone puking while they are running out.
10. Make sure sermons last a minimum of 2 hours and have 3 tears jerking stories*, 5 jokes, and at least one rabbit to chase at the end after you announce you are almost done. (*Make sure EVERY sermon has at least one story about when you was a paratrooper in WWII, even if you wasn't one.)
11. Be sure to brag about all the people you led to the Lord during the week. Especially tell about the guy you ran down in his garage and forced him to repeat the sinners prayer.

(More great points to come.)  8)

Wisdoms Friend said:

1. To teach and share the already written sermons we got off the net from our preacher friend buds and that got them the same way
2. To realize the Tithe is more precious in spiritual growth than any other thing.
3. Avoid Bible Study altogether. Unlearned sheep are much easier to keep and train
4. What's Doctrine? Only teach local church directives like Tithing, Double Honor Sunday, Pastor appreciation month. Pastor and staff birthday and anniversaries along with love offerings.
5. See # 4
6. Use all tools to promote compliance to tithing and anything other hoops we want the sheep to jump through. Browbeating and humiliation for the non compliant, bragging and pedistal placement for big tithers and brown nosers
7. Never teach or preach anything on personal holiness. That makes having a beer with the deacons on the back nine easier.

While I'm appreciative of the use of sarcasm in use here, I am seriously interested in real answers too!

Bob L said:
Wisdoms Friend said:

8. Pick out someone to embarrass in the crowd during the sermon.
9. Yell at ANYONE who dares to leave during the service. This includes someone puking while they are running out.
10. Make sure sermons last a minimum of 2 hours and have 3 tears jerking stories*, 5 jokes, and at least one rabbit to chase at the end after you announce you are almost done. (*Make sure EVERY sermon has at least one story about when you was a paratrooper in WWII, even if you wasn't one.)
11. Be sure to brag about all the people you led to the Lord during the week. Especially tell about the guy you ran down in his garage and forced him to repeat the sinners prayer.

(More great points to come.)  8)

12. Brag about not having a TV in your home (And then go to your parents home to watch favorite TV shows and sports.) (btw-I knew a preacher that did that.)
13. Never let a sermon go by without finding a way to bring up heifers and FAGS in it somehow.

Okay. My bad.  I'll stop. I know 'Wisdom's Friend' wants serious answers. But, I just had to get those off of my chest.  :D

Wisdoms Friend said:

Okay. How about THIS one:

8. Make sure you are CALLED into the ministry. (Not just in the ministry because some evangelist came to your church, beat you down under the pressure of an hour long invitation, and shamed a bunch of the teens to come forward and surrender to the ministry, otherwise they would look silly to their peers for not going forward also.)

Wisdoms Friend said:
While I'm appreciative of the use of sarcasm in use here, I am seriously interested in real answers too!

What you are reading is not sarcasm, it is scorning.  Study Proverbs, and you might decide to cease from being "appreciative" of it. 

A study of the Pastoral Epistles is your best (but not exhaustive) source of the responsibilities of a pastor.  Any list that does not come with referenced scriptural support is just a man's opinion. 

Frag said:
A study of the Pastoral Epistles is your best (but not exhaustive) source of the responsibilities of a pastor.

Yes.

Frag said:
Any list that does not come with referenced scriptural support is just a man's opinion.

Well, I don't know about referenced....

Frag said:
Wisdoms Friend said:
What you are reading is not sarcasm, it is scorning.  Study Proverbs, and you might decide to cease from being "appreciative" of it. 

IMHO, all the practices Bob L listed are abuses deserving of scorn. However, I would not extend that scorn to well-meaning people who may have practiced them, not knowing any better at the time.

Frag said:
Wisdoms Friend said:

A study of the Pastoral Epistles is your best (but not exhaustive) source of the responsibilities of a pastor.  Any list that does not come with referenced scriptural support is just a man's opinion.

Hate it when you and your phony Xer heroes are pointed out, eh?  (Jeremiah 23:1 )

Frag said:
Wisdoms Friend said:

Frag,

Just noticed the above bolded statement that you made. Do you mean that there is revelation beyond God's Word that tells a pastor how he is to behave? Is the source for these extra-Biblical requirements that you have for pastors the same one where you get your list of extra-Biblical requirements for Christians. I would love to know as I would like to read the official guidebook as opposed to getting it second hand from others. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Regards,
Miller

Seen Saul Alinsky's rules used and abused over the years by preachers and staff:

RULE 1: "Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have." Power is derived from 2 main sources - money and people.

RULE 2: "Never go outside the expertise of your people." It results in confusion, fear and retreat.

RULE 3: "Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy." Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty.

RULE 4: "Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules."

RULE 5: "Ridicule is man's most potent weapon." There is no defense. It's irrational. It's infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions.

RULE 6: "A good tactic is one your people enjoy." They'll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more.

RULE 7: "A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag." Don't become old news.

RULE 8: "Keep the pressure on. Never let up." Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance.

RULE 9: "The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself." Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist. Perception is reality.

RULE 10: "If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive." Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog.

RULE 11: "The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative." Never let the enemy score points because you're caught without a solution to the problem.

RULE 12: "Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it." Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions.