The Rise and Fall of Mars Hill Podcast

Bob Jones V

Elect
Reaction score
Christianity Today did this podcast of the rise and fall of Mark Driscoll and Mars Hill.

It is absolutely fascinating. Once you start listening, you will see. It is very well done. Each episode is about 50-60 minutes. But Episode 12 is the best and is 2 hours long.

1690262168837.png

I only had familiarity with Driscoll in that era where I was more than ready to pounce on anything that wasn't militant IFB, and remember him most for his juvenile potty mouth and sexual innuendo using Scripture. But after tuning into the first podcast and hearing the sermon excerpts I must admit that I see why some were drawn to his masculine theological emphasis.

I listened to the entire series a couple years ago. Such a shame the destructiveness pastors like this are having on churches.

The infamous "Cussing Pastor" Mark Driscoll is now pastor of Trinity Church in Phoenix [correction, should be Scottsdale] Arizona. Please tell any friends you may have in Phoenix to stay away! :mad:

Last edited:
Tell me... Why is American Churchianity so anemic?

I only had familiarity with Driscoll in that era where I was more than ready to pounce on anything that wasn't militant IFB, and remember him most for his juvenile potty mouth and sexual innuendo using Scripture. But after tuning into the first podcast and hearing the sermon excerpts I must admit that I see why some were drawn to his masculine theological emphasis.

Just following up on this after the podcast revealed the manner in which Driscoll injected masculinity into theological issues, and after hearing more about what his beliefs and regular themes were I retract any favorable aspect of his ministry attributable to that emphasis. Dude gave true meaning to the term "toxic masculinity". His flip-flopping (reformed-then not reformed, dreams and visions, manipulative grooming, eliminating dissenting equal voices, etc) demonstrated that it was more of a show/entertainment (maybe cult-like) than legitimate worship/church.

OK, this was definitely worthwhile the listen. I don’t usually spend too much of my free time listening to anything other than preaching, other than Christian social commentary like Al Mohler, but I’m glad I did, thanks.

It was long, and took a while to develop the big picture, but it was definitely a compelling portrayal of how a machine can grind you to a pulp. I can see some parallels to FBCH/HAC, especially the manner of using the pulpit to demean the opposition with ridicule, contempt, and derision, while getting the troops to circle the wagons. A similar parallel was also drawn between how the gospel was subsumed under the paradigm of “Jesus died for you so be like me and do better”.

It was okay. Episodes 3 and 4 were pretty telling with what types of people were against Driscoll. They are as intolerable as Driscoll with 'Right" and "Like" permeating the conversation.

It was ironic to find Christianity Today going through their own Sexual Harassment issues while producing this podcast. Then, they publish their mea culpa under this same podcast for some reason. Driscoll was never accused of any sexual improprieties that I know of, so not sure what dots they were trying to connect, or were they just wildly trying to relate it together?

I do see the parallels between FBCH, especially under Schaap; but he will be the first to tell you that it was pride that led to his downfall. Not sure if you will ever hear that from Driscoll, yet.

After episode 15, there is really nothing substantive, with maybe 17, but that is because Chad is a great guy that still didn't throw stones, but rather learned and grew through the experience. They are on tour again and worth going to see. https://kingskaleidoscope.com/

It was ironic to find Christianity Today going through their own Sexual Harassment issues while producing this podcast. Then, they publish their mea culpa under this same podcast for some reason. Driscoll was never accused of any sexual improprieties that I know of, so not sure what dots they were trying to connect, or were they just wildly trying to relate it together?
e.

I thought their efforts there were to say, "yep, we are not unlike many other machines of religion, but at least we're not as big of a hypocrite as they are", or in Biblical parlance, "I thank thee I am not as this sinner and publican", lol.

OK, this was definitely worthwhile the listen. I don’t usually spend too much of my free time listening to anything other than preaching, other than Christian social commentary like Al Mohler, but I’m glad I did, thanks.

It was long, and took a while to develop the big picture, but it was definitely a compelling portrayal of how a machine can grind you to a pulp. I can see some parallels to FBCH/HAC, especially the manner of using the pulpit to demean the opposition with ridicule, contempt, and derision, while getting the troops to circle the wagons. A similar parallel was also drawn between how the gospel was subsumed under the paradigm of “Jesus died for you so be like me and do better”.
The funny thing is this: I was a Driscoll fan in the day. he wrote a book called Radical Reformission. It was good. And he was winning people to Christ for years.

My youngest son was in a weak, namby pamby church and wanted to go into missions and his church didn't even know what a missionary was. So he moved to another church that actually taught him theology. And he listened to this podcast before I did. And he recommended it . I had known the Driscoll story, but not the depths.

Like I said, I was a fan. But something changed in about 2009 or so. Piper had him speak at his pastor's conference, thereby condoning his methods. But in my opinion, the fame went to his head. And he is such a strong, intelligent personality, he, like Hyles, ran with it being all about him.

Glad you liked it.

The funny thing is this: I was a Driscoll fan in the day. he wrote a book called Radical Reformission. It was good. And he was winning people to Christ for years.

My youngest son was in a weak, namby pamby church and wanted to go into missions and his church didn't even know what a missionary was. So he moved to another church that actually taught him theology. And he listened to this podcast before I did. And he recommended it . I had known the Driscoll story, but not the depths.

Like I said, I was a fan. But something changed in about 2009 or so. Piper had him speak at his pastor's conference, thereby condoning his methods. But in my opinion, the fame went to his head. And he is such a strong, intelligent personality, he, like Hyles, ran with it being all about him.

Glad you liked it.

Like a good Hacker, it's all about the numbers baby! Not just a Hyles thang.