They’d Burn This Church to the Ground in California (With the Governor’s Blessing)

I'm all for a church making a biblical stand in the face of "new morality" but I don't support a church requiring members to sign a pledge or face expulsion. Right stand, wrong approach.

I'm all for a church making a biblical stand in the face of "new morality" but I don't support a church requiring members to sign a pledge or face expulsion. Right stand, wrong approach.
Seems extreme but very much a "Who is on the Lord's Side" moment that many Churches need to have! I would definitely use as a litmus test for any candidate for leadership within the Church. There are some ESSENTIAL THINGS that every Church member should be on board with (Inspiration of Scripture, Virgin Birth, Deity of Christ, Etc.) and some NON-Essential things (Calvinism/Arminianism, Cessation/Continuation, various eschatological views, Etc.) where we can disagree and have charity to one another.

They may not be a "Mega-Church" for long though and they need to be ready for this. If they do not stand now, the goats and tares will take over and run out the sheep.

Seems extreme but very much a "Who is on the Lord's Side" moment that many Churches need to have! I would definitely use as a litmus test for any candidate for leadership within the Church. There are some ESSENTIAL THINGS that every Church member should be on board with (Inspiration of Scripture, Virgin Birth, Deity of Christ, Etc.) and some NON-Essential things (Calvinism/Arminianism, Cessation/Continuation, various eschatological views, Etc.) where we can disagree and have charity to one another.

They may not be a "Mega-Church" for long though and they need to be ready for this. If they do not stand now, the goats and tares will take over and run out the sheep.
This is why I prefer the Calvary Chapel model of church membership. Our church won't compromise on the sexuality issue. Those who would do otherwise will soon find themselves at odds with the teaching of Scripture and either repent or move on.

I have to agree with you here.

This is why I prefer the Calvary Chapel model of church membership. Our church won't compromise on the sexuality issue. Those who would do otherwise will soon find themselves at odds with the teaching of Scripture and either repent or move on.
The problem I see is if you become "Tolerant" of such things among the membership, it will eventually become the DOMINANT VIEW and you may just find yourself in the minority! Many Baptist Churches I know of will grant membership to anyone who walks the aisle, fills out a card, and Voila! they are a voting member!

"Eldership Rule" Churches do not have this problem so long as the Eldership remains true to the authority of the scriptures and I have seen many who are very articulate with "Position Papers" stating exactly what the Church believes and teaches. I believe more Churches need to follow this example.

"Congregational Rule" Churches simply need to tighten their belts and do better regarding who they allow in as voting members of their Church (People who will vote on the budget, become elders, deacons, and trustees, sit on "Pulpit Committees" to select the next pastor, Etc.). Candidates for membership have historically had to sign "Church Covenants" stating that they were in agreement with the statement of faith, constitution, bylaws, Etc., and agreed with the overall philosophy and direction of the Church. They didn't have to agree with EVERYTHING like a particular lapsarian view or anything but they also were not coming in to stir up trouble either!

I think it is absolutely crazy that we have come to a place where a Church needs to take a hard stand regarding the definition of marriage and who is a man and who is a woman but I certainly see the necessity. Anyone who disagrees with the traditional roles of marriage and sexuality are welcome (so long as they behave themselves, not there to cause trouble, Etc.) to attend our services but are not welcome to become voting members of our Church!

Regardless of what church model you follow, problems can and do arise. Are there problems with the CC model? Yes, just as many as there are in an elder-led model, or a congregational model. In 20+ years with CC, the only voting I've ever seen is footsteps out the door. I trust my pastor to be fair and biblically sound. He has full authority to regulate what is taught or embraced here and trust me, I've seen him exercise it. If I see the ship starting to sink, I'll do what I can to take a righteous stand, but ultimately, God is going to hold Pastor Rick accountable, not me. If Rick ever violates trust, the door swings both ways. Now, if Rick were to go WAY overboard, I guarantee other Association pastors will catch wind of it and intervene.

At least their swinging their sword where the battle is.

Megachurch makes members sign anti-LGBTQ vow of 'biblical sexuality'
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...l-sexuality.html?ito=native_share_article-top
i left my former church because they decided to embrace the alphabet crackers club.... and not just embrace it but they opened the church up for gay weddings and began advertising it as a great destination for gay tourists wanting to be married in an exotic place.....

but even so i would never go along with the idea of making church members sign pledges... of any kind.... ..let pastors preach doctrines from the pulpit and allow God to work on the hearts of the membership... . but going the signed pledge route is a church merely attempting to bend the members to the pastors will.... for one it opens the door for more pledge signing drives in the future.... .. and while the pastor might be right this time, he could be very wrong on the next one.... ...it;s best not to even set a foot down that path....

i left my former church because they decided to embrace the alphabet crackers club.... and not just embrace it but they opened the church up for gay weddings and began advertising it as a great destination for gay tourists wanting to be married in an exotic place.....
What?!?! 😯

years ago i use to post pictures on the fff of my former church.. everybody agreed it was a beautiful place.. .. it is on the south east side of the island and has an ornate sanctuary right on the beach... the walls are floor to ceiling windows that open to the outside air... i am not going to name it anymore or post any pictures of it either.... but long before the gay marriage thing became an issue traditional couples would come here from all over the world to schedule a wedding there....

the church i am at now offered the same thing only it was far more popular as a travel wedding site due to it having once been attended by hawaiian kings and queens - and the fact a genuine princess was married there.... ..but when obama made his alphabet cracker edict that basically forced churches to either marry gays or cease all weddings of non-church members - the church i am at now stopped marrying non members..... but my former church went head long into the gay wedding business and changed their charter in a manner i considered apostasy..... .. a lot of us left that church after that.... as christians what else could we do?.... .. in our opinion what they did made them no longer a christian church.. .

years ago i use to post pictures on the fff of my former church.. everybody agreed it was a beautiful place.. .. it is on the south east side of the island and has an ornate sanctuary right on the beach... the walls are floor to ceiling windows that open to the outside air... i am not going to name it anymore or post any pictures of it either.... but long before the gay marriage thing became an issue traditional couples would come here from all over the world to schedule a wedding there....

the church i am at now offered the same thing only it was far more popular as a travel wedding site due to it having once been attended by hawaiian kings and queens - and the fact a genuine princess was married there.... ..but when obama made his alphabet cracker edict that basically forced churches to either marry gays or cease all weddings of non-church members - the church i am at now stopped marrying non members..... but my former church went head long into the gay wedding business and changed their charter in a manner i considered apostasy..... .. a lot of us left that church after that.... as christians what else could we do?.... .. in our opinion what they did made them no longer a christian church.. .
That’s pretty crazy, though I suppose not surprising these days. They say people who don’t support gay/transgender rights are the new 21st century racists.

That’s pretty crazy, though I suppose not surprising these days. They say people who don’t support gay/transgender rights are the new 21st century racists.
i don;t remember the word racist coming up... but i did get slammed pretty viciously back then in other ways by quite a few people for the stand i took..... and i didn;t just leave the church behind, but left a few friends behind too.... .. ironically some of my friends who lean in the gay-sapphic direction agreed with me... ..being abnormally tempted to sin does give one a right to practice it.... much less a right to promote and celebrate it...... ..churches that submit to the lgbtq agenda have forgotten the reason they became a church to begin with....

Most churches have the basic equivalent with a formal church covenant. I’m not sure I would do this but have no problem if they choose to ask members to sign.
I’d sign with no problem…with the information I have about it.

As a member of my church, I'm expected to be in basic agreement with the doctrinal statement--which does include an article saying the term "marriage" is reserved for one man and woman, "as a matter of belief, doctrine, and religious practice." Obviously I haven't tested this, but I would assume that had I voiced any serious objection to that article (or nearly any other), my application would not have gone forward.

A few years ago, one of our pastors announced his resignation because his theology had shifted, and in good conscience he didn't believe he could remain in his position.

I don't see this as a much different situation. Though the "meet our deadline or else" tone seems pushy.

but even so i would never go along with the idea of making church members sign pledges... of any kind.... ..let pastors preach doctrines from the pulpit and allow God to work on the hearts of the membership... . but going the signed pledge route is a church merely attempting to bend the members to the pastors will.... for one it opens the door for more pledge signing drives in the future.... .. and while the pastor might be right this time, he could be very wrong on the next one.... ...it;s best not to even set a foot down that path....
I can appreciate the "Bending of members to the Pastor's will" bit. Therefore, a Church would have to ensure such did not just come from the pastor but through a common unified front of the entire Church leadership speaking in unanimity! We are treading new ground here and such things used to go without saying. It used to be that all one had to do to become a voting member of your average Baptist Church is walk an aisle, fill out a card, and say a few "buzz words" testifying that you were a "believer" (buzzwords your typical "Alphabet Affirming" Christians would also say). Voting members then get to be part of the decision making process and work their ways into positions of leadership where they influence the overall direction of a Church such as to become more "Gay-Affirming" in order to open your Church as a wedding venue for same-sex couples and so forth!

We therefore have to take preemptive action, exercise far more discernment in who we welcome as members, be more diligent in the discipline of those who are unruly, and ensure the Church maintains its doctrinal purity.

i don;t remember the word racist coming up.
I probably did a poor job of trying to convey what I meant. In the last couple decades, being called a racist was about the worst slander a person could receive, and it’s an almost impossible accusation to fight against. Anyway, a couple months ago I heard a videoclip of a famous pastor (though the name now escapes me), warn his church members that if they take a biblical stance against LGBTQ rights, they will become the new version of what people have labeled others as racist in the past. He was basically warning his congregation to become prepared for the assault that’s coming in the next few years on those who stick to what the Bible says.

I can appreciate the "Bending of members to the Pastor's will" bit. Therefore, a Church would have to ensure such did not just come from the pastor but through a common unified front of the entire Church leadership speaking in unanimity! We are treading new ground here and such things used to go without saying. It used to be that all one had to do to become a voting member of your average Baptist Church is walk an aisle, fill out a card, and say a few "buzz words" testifying that you were a "believer" (buzzwords your typical "Alphabet Affirming" Christians would also say). Voting members then get to be part of the decision making process and work their ways into positions of leadership where they influence the overall direction of a Church such as to become more "Gay-Affirming" in order to open your Church as a wedding venue for same-sex couples and so forth!

We therefore have to take preemptive action, exercise far more discernment in who we welcome as members, be more diligent in the discipline of those who are unruly, and ensure the Church maintains its doctrinal purity.
ok.... well i can see your concern..... because from what i have been told the scenario you describe has already been happening in baptist churches.... . for decades.... . and not with regards to lgbtq activitsts trying to change a church from within - but with those wishing to force the church to accept doctrines more in line with calvinist ideology... ...and those wanting to introduce more and more progressive styles of music into the church.... . .both climb into church leadership positions the same way you decribe - by speaking "buzz-words" that affirm common elements of the faith.. ... or introducing music with lyrics that no christian would find objectionable, but with a more progressive style of music behind it....

then over time arguments over calvinist vrs arminian doctrines grow until that church either forms a new charter or splits..... and in the churches where music became an issue the music slowly changes until one day the congregaton comes in to see a full rock band on the platform .... congregational singing is either seldom done or it has completely given way to performances from the stage worthy of a rock concert... sometimes both those scenarios happen in the same church....

so yeah.... i can definitely see why you are concerned.... and i agree ...allowing the lgbtq - alphabet cracker club, to sneak in and destroy a baptist church that way from within would be unthinkable...... .....

however... i am not a member of a baptist church... and i have never been asked to sign anything by any church i have been a member of..... i have been asked direct questions concerning my faith and beliefs and i answered them..... but the day they demand that i sign a piece of paper to make a pledge to the church i will tell them to take me off the member rolls.....

i never attend the church i am a member of anyway during the services held in the main sanctuary..... .i do however attend the sunday school i am part of every sunday in a building not far away.... ....years ago the church dug up an ancient hawaiian cemetery right next to the church.... (bones of those who established the church over 200 years ago).... and stored them in the sanctuary basement in boxes... all to make room for a gym and fellowship hall they wanted to build....

i don;t know how it came about or if such a thing was ever voted on, but i have a real problem with it... so do many native hawaiian groups and other members of the church.... though not many have the same aversion to sitting above wrongfully disinterred human bodies to hear a sermon the way i do...... i sometimes attend a catholic church closeby that is equally as old as mine - (the same one my natural sister took me to when i first came here)..... mostly when they ask me to fill in with the special music ensemble.... otherwise i call it a day after sunday school and go home to prepare dinner for the household.....

Last edited:
I probably did a poor job of trying to convey what I meant. In the last couple decades, being called a racist was about the worst slander a person could receive, and it’s an almost impossible accusation to fight against. Anyway, a couple months ago I heard a videoclip of a famous pastor (though the name now escapes me), warn his church members that if they take a biblical stance against LGBTQ rights, they will become the new version of what people have labeled others as racist in the past. He was basically warning his congregation to become prepared for the assault that’s coming in the next few years on those who stick to what the Bible says.
no.... i think i understood you ok.... .. they never called us racist back then but they did call us a lot of other names... .. i have no doubt if the same thing happened today they would call us racist too ...maybe even try to label us as dangerous... ... it could also very well be the left wing mob tries to take some kind of action in the near future against those of who refuse to bend the knee to any or all of their nonsense.... eventually persecution of christians will come, one way or another... ...and they will use any excuse they can to justify it... even if they have to make one up....

no.... i think i understood you ok.... .. they never called us racist back then but they did call us a lot of other names... .. i have no doubt if the same thing happened today they would call us racist too ...maybe even try to label us as dangerous... ... it could also very well be the left wing mob tries to take some kind of action in the near future against those of who refuse to bend the knee to any or all of their nonsense.... eventually persecution of christians will come, one way or another... ...and they will use any excuse they can to justify it... even if they have to make one up....
Essentially, this is called getting cancelled in modern lingo. The public becomes the judge, jury and executioner without the promise of a trial or factual evidence.