Thinking about getting Scuba certified.

Been a certified diver for 34 years. My wife has been certified for about 25. One of our kids got certified when he was 14. I've dived shipwrecks, coral reefs, civil war battle sites, and a variety of other things. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to explore.

I got scuba certified back in the 80s but I never bought all the equipment that was needed at that time about $1000.00. To me it is a waste of money unless you are going to go scuba diving every weekend or two.

samspade said:
Been a certified diver for 34 years. My wife has been certified for about 25. One of our kids got certified when he was 14. I've dived shipwrecks, coral reefs, civil war battle sites, and a variety of other things. I would recommend it to anyone who likes to explore.

I didn't know the civil war was fought underwater. 

The Rogue Tomato said:
samspade said:

Missed that Spongebob episode?

The Rogue Tomato said:
samspade said:

You never heard of the C.S.S Hunley?

4everfsu said:
The Rogue Tomato said:
samspade said:

You never heard of the C.S.S Hunley?

Actually, no.  And it's an interesting story now that I've googled it.  Regardless, it was a good joke. 

aleshanee said:
most of mine were made by a company called body glove... if that;s any indication of just how form fitting they are.... .... and when wet they are even harder to get out of or take off than a wet pair of gloves.......... but they do the job were designed for....... and they do it very well....... just plan on keeping the wet suit on for a while when you squeeze yourself into one........ which actually reminds me of one more rule of diving i forgot to mention earlier..... sudden changes in water temperature can have an effect on the body with regards to needing to empty ones bladder when they weren;t aware they needed to before that......... and no matter how much you prepare ahead of time if you spend enough time in the water it will catch back up to you eventually........... and because of that it is said that there are only 2 kinds of divers in the world........ those who pee in their wet suit and those who lie about it...... don;t be ashamed of the truth.... after all it is what will set you free....... or at the very least make the rest of your diving experience more enjoyable ..... and you won;t be as cold after that either......... just be sure nobody is following too close behind you.... that;s how friends are lost unless you have a very special understanding........  ;)

Didn't want to go into details................. ;) ;) ;) ;)

The Rogue Tomato said:
samspade said:

The secret lies with Charlotte....remember?

aleshanee said:
4everfsu said:
I got scuba certified back in the 80s but I never bought all the equipment that was needed at that time about $1000.00. To me it is a waste of money unless you are going to go scuba diving every weekend or two.

scuba gear can be very expensive.... and commercial gear is even more so.... my dads mark 21 helmet was almost 5000 dollars by itself....... we have a storage locker crammed with both kinds.... multiple sets of everything you can think of plus extra pieces like buckets full of various fins.... weights and weight belts... 18 scuba tanks .... some in better shape than others..... over 2 dozen wet suits of different types and sizes...... there was more than that before we moved lockers earlier in the year and threw out some that were worn out and beginning to fall apart.....

then the stuff i use for spear fishing i keep here at home in my closet... and i even have some of my dads stuff in there for when he goes with me......... then he also still has a lot of his commercial gear stored on the dive barge at the salvage company he use to work for..... the up to date gear alone is probably enough stuff to open a moderate sized dive shop with and maybe a small museum with the old outdated stuff........and altogether we could probably buy a house with what was paid for it all....... but at least it all got used.... very heavily.... and some of it still does......  8)

I have always kind of wondered if these professional divers had to buy their own gear or if they were like professional athletes where you have manufacturers who would love to give you their stuff to use.

A big thanks to Aleshanee for the info.

I talked to a fella from church who is a little older than myself and he said he took one of those Mexican crash course certifications to go diving.  Took about 10 minutes of training, then in he went, even into a cave  :eek:.  The fella who we did the DISCOVER SCUBA excursion with seemed to go as slow (or fast) as our learning pace would allow.  Made us feel real comfortable.  I was thinking of doing the bookwork and in-pool part with this trainer but doing a Referral Open Water dive to complete my training in a warm water environment.  Thoughts?