This sure beats confrontational evangelism.......if there is such a thing.

That's truly great, but make no mistake, feeding people ain't the gospel, nor is it a substitute for it.

ALAYMAN said:
That's truly great, but make no mistake, feeding people ain't the gospel, nor is it a substitute for it.

It isn't. But "before people care what you know, they have to know that you care."

(I'm not sure who said that first. I got it from Jack Kemp.)

ALAYMAN said:

I guess when Jesus fed the 5 thousand he made a mistake.  LOL!!!!!

Bob H said:
bruinboy said:
http://www.liberty.edu/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=58786#.T_JEv_XT1OQ.facebook

Ya right. When Jesus confronted the woman at the well or the demon possessed man in the cemetery nuttin much came of it.

How's that working out for ya Bob?  As I recall, Jesus confronted them with love and caring, that was much different than the way the Pharisees treated them. Today's Pharisees use some crazy 4 step sales job that is used  to put notches on their salvation revolver.  Who cares if they are really saved, just get them to pray the magic prayer.  But hey, there is a reason those that confront others with the Spirit of Christ have an audience much more willing to listen.  Actions are much more important than words as Jesus exemplified so well.  He always met the physical needs of those that he ministered to, as well as their spiritual needs. That should be our model as well. 

bruinboy said:
Bob H said:
bruinboy said:

Ya right. When Jesus confronted the woman at the well or the demon possessed man in the cemetery nuttin much came of it.

How's that working out for ya Bob?  As I recall, Jesus confronted them with love and caring, that was much different than the way the Pharisees treated them. Today's Pharisees use some crazy 4 step sales job that is used  to put notches on their salvation revolver. 

Confrontational evangelicalism is what you attacked, not Pharisees and Phariseeism. I could care less about them clowns.......They still OWN you

Bob H said:
bruinboy said:
Bob H said:
bruinboy said:

How's that working out for ya Bob?  As I recall, Jesus confronted them with love and caring, that was much different than the way the Pharisees treated them. Today's Pharisees use some crazy 4 step sales job that is used  to put notches on their salvation revolver. 

Confrontational evangelicalism is what you attacked, not Pharisees and Phariseeism. I could care less about them clowns.......They still OWN you

Same think as far as I can tell.  Anyway, nice dodge. 

Action always reveals belief; belief is verified by action.  Churches and other Christian institutions have responded to community needs in times of crisis for all our combined memory.  Think Katrina, the Christmas tsunami of several years back, tornadoes across the south and midwest last year, and a plethora of other local and international crises.  Nothing new to see here.  It is commendable for Liberty to do this, but they are far from alone in living out a belief in caring for the needs of others. 

That being said, serving a community in crisis is not the same as reaching them with the Gospel.  I commend them for putting their faith in action.  I hope that Liberty will use this exercise to confront as many as possible with the Gospel message. If the Gospel is not he pinnacle of their focus in this effort then this effort will prove to be nothing more than "wood, hay, and stubble" as are so many church charity efforts. It is the Gospel that is the test of care for individuals and a community.

Anchor said:
Action always reveals belief; belief is verified by action.  Churches and other Christian institutions have responded to community needs in times of crisis for all our combined memory.  Think Katrina, the Christmas tsunami of several years back, tornadoes across the south and midwest last year, and a plethora of other local and international crises.  Nothing new to see here.  It is commendable for Liberty to do this, but they are far from alone in living out a belief in caring for the needs of others. 

That being said, serving a community in crisis is not the same as reaching them with the Gospel.  I commend them for putting their faith in action.  I hope that Liberty will use this exercise to confront as many as possible with the Gospel message. If the Gospel is not he pinnacle of their focus in this effort then this effort will prove to be nothing more than "wood, hay, and stubble" as are so many church charity efforts. It is the Gospel that is the test of care for individuals and a community.

Agreed, what Liberty did was a great start, and I believe that they should be commended for it, but the Gospel must be offered as well. Otherwise they are nothing more than the Red Cross. Bruinboy mentioned Jesus feeding the 5000, but He did so after preaching and teaching to them.

Miller said:
Anchor said:

Agreed, what Liberty did was a great start, and I believe that they should be commended for it, but the Gospel must be offered as well. Otherwise they are nothing more than the Red Cross. Bruinboy mentioned Jesus feeding the 5000, but He did so after preaching and teaching to them.

So, does that mean they have to hand out a tract/make them listen to a sermon with every meal or bag of ice or their ministry is discounted in some fashion?  Doesn't it follow that if their human needs were met without reservation, they are  more likely to listen or gain respect for the ministry because of the show of love and concern for their physical need? (BTW, that has already happened based on feedback from the community).
Maybe it is immediate, maybe it is months or years from now, time is not really a major factor is it? We are called to witness/minister, not to worry about the results, that is God's job.

I am going to try and use this as a lesson in my personal life.  I know I can have a more positive impact on others by being kinder and caring more about the needs of others................................................................ just not here.  :) No fun being too nice. 

Anchor: They even let black people in too. 

Time to go, got some doors to knock on and order the world's largest ice cream sundae for the weekend. ;) Nothing wrong with those (I guess), but based on my experience, much more centered on man than real ministry. They are obviously focused more on the superficial, used to gather a crowd and count people. 

What Liberty did was an excellent way of responding to the crisis, and it was a Biblical response.
I also understand the other side of the coin....that humanitarian aid is not the Gospel.
I believe that many today are moving in the direction that they are one and the same....which is exactly what happened to the so called mainstream denominations in the 60's.

What LU has done will, IMHO give them an open door to preach the Gospel in their community in the future. Anyone who has lived in Lynchburg knows the love - hate relationship the community has long had with Falwell/Liberty.

Kudos to LU for being wise in this crisis!

bruinboy said:
Miller said:
Anchor said:

So, does that mean they have to hand out a tract/make them listen to a sermon with every meal or bag of ice or their ministry is discounted in some fashion?  Doesn't it follow that if their human needs were met without reservation, they are  more likely to listen or gain respect for the ministry because of the show of love and concern for their physical need? (BTW, that has already happened based on feedback from the community).
Maybe it is immediate, maybe it is months or years from now, time is not really a major factor is it? We are called to witness/minister, not to worry about the results, that is God's job.

I am going to try and use this as a lesson in my personal life.  I know I can have a more positive impact on others by being kinder and caring more about the needs of others................................................................ just not here.  :) No fun being too nice. 

Anchor: They even let black people in too. 

Time to go, got some doors to knock on and order the world's largest ice cream sundae for the weekend. ;) Nothing wrong with those (I guess), but based on my experience, much more centered on man than real ministry. They are obviously focused more on the superficial, used to gather a crowd and count people.

Bruinboy, I agree that it is great that Liberty has done this. I will be one of the first to applaud them. I am glad that they responded to this crises in such a Christlike way with compassion. I will applaud even louder if they don't stop with the job half finished. Jesus did more than just feed the 5000 on the hillside, there was some teaching involved as well.