Those who attended HAC, with what you know of the school

aleshanee said:
prophet said:
aleshanee said:
prophet said:
aleshanee said:
yep... ;)... and traditonal hand made arrows too... . no carbon, no aluminum... and no plastic vanes... .:)

although i do use plastic nocks on hunting arrows....  :- .. but all my native american arrows are hand cut self nocked... :)
And Schaap polished? ...sorry, couldn't resist.  ::)

Anishinabe

??? ......  ??? .... no.... ..  but birchwood casey gun stock wax works really well....  :-. ...  that;s what i seal with them with after a few coats of tru oil....
then i fletch them wild turkey feathers, wrapped with natural sinew and attach either flint or obsidian hand knapped broadhead tied on with gut hafting... ..

:-

i don;t get the thing about the schaap polish.....  ??? ... .. .. and i;m almost afraid to ask... . . . is it one of those things you shouldn;t ask about, unless you already know..  coz if you already knew you would never ask about it?... ...  ???
Schaap had a famous sermon about how arrows were handmade, in which he polished an arrow shaft while he spoke.  The last time he preached it, he got a little carried away, and the video has gone viral.  He was kinda going over a cliff at the time, so it is pretty whacky....yeah you wouldn't ask, if you knew.

Anishinabe

ok....... you mentioned a viral video. .  ???... .. . and my curiosity got the best of me.. ... i looked it up....  :eek: .. .... . .. .. i still can;t believe what i just watched... .. .  that has to be the most disgusting display i have ever seen from a pastor behind a pulpit.. ..nothing else even comes close...  . .  if i had not seen his picture here before... and didn;t know that it was really jack schaap doing all that..  i would have thought somebody snuck into the church with a camera and was doing a very obscene lampoon.....  ....

i don;t know what he said in the rest of his sermon  ... . and it was really hard to understand most of what he said... coz he his yelling so loud right into the microphone... . but what he was doing in that segment has absolutely nothing to do with making hand made arrows.. . . i have been making hand made traditional hunting arrows for years... . and for many different people including my dad... . . i;ve never heard of anyone polishing arrows....  i apply a thin coat of gun stock wax to the ones i make when they are finished just to give them some protection against moisture... .  but that takes all of 20 seconds per arrow... or less... . .

i don;t know what else to say..... i think i;m still in a mild state of shock ..  :-\ ..........

Can you believe that not one, not even one, of the men in his church who call themselves leaders of God's people, had the guts to confront him on that hogwash?

aleshanee said:
after learning about this infamous schaap sermon..... i did some study work on Isaiah 49:2 .... and while i;m no Bible scholar at all..  some of the scholars whose work i researched said the literal meaning of what the king james version translated into "polished shaft"... meant "sharpened" or "selected and favored" ...  in other words ready for use..... the arrow you reach for first when it;s time to kill something....  ....

as a bowhunter and arrow maker myself i know that it;s very dangerous to carry too many arrows with razor sharp broadheads on them at any one time.. (unless you are going to war).. . personally i carry three arrows fitted with razor sharp broadheads when i hunt...all with leather scabbards fitted over the broadheads, for safety, that i remove only when i;m ready to shoot... those are my selected and favored arrows.... sharpened and ready for use... .. i carry them in the front of the quiver where i can grab them without even looking.... the scabbard not only keeps me safe from being cut but it also protects the edge of the arrow head from being damaged or dulled....  .. 

i also carry a few more in the quiver fitted with standard points, and some with no points at all that can be fitted with a broadhead, sharpened, and made ready if needed.. ..  that takes several minutes to do.. .  but it doesn;t involve anything like what jack schaap was doing.. and neither does it take the length of time required to preach a sermon to do it.. ...  in fact.... nothing in the art of arrow making looks like that at all... and i don;t know how he could have gotten it from isaiah 49:2..... ...  in my opinion, in isaiah 49:2, isaiah was saying that God had made him one His select and sharpened arrows... and had placed him in His quiver where he would safe from damage and could be quickly accessed....

i never heard the whole sermon... and after what i saw i don;t really want to...  but i think jack schaap missed the point isaiah was making entirely.. .. ..  and now i wonder what else he missed the point on, and what he led the church and college to miss points on, over the years, as well... .. ..  :-\. ...... oh well.. ..  guess i;ll have to call them and tell them tear up my application.. ..  i won;t be arriving at the train station after all... ;)...

That is the number one rule for homiletics at hac. You never want the Bible to get in the way of what you think is a relevant point. To quote Bob Gray from his blog last summer, "It is more important what the Bible says than what it means".  Think about that one for a while.

I enjoyed the friendships and fellowship I had more than the classes during my time at HAC. There were some great times at the college and I can only think of one or two negatives I encountered during my time there. I was from the area and lived off campus. I think the disappointing thing is that most of the friends I made (or thought I made) have not kept in contact with me. Some of that is do to distance or loss of contact info, but a lot of it is because they chose not to stay in contact and even avoided it, I left after JS took over and that was seen by many as disloyal. It was time to move on rather than a disloyal issue.

All that to say, I would like to think I would do it all over again, but the above was a disappointment that makes me think I might not. :)

4everfsu said:
How many of you would attend it if you had to do it all over again?

If I knew what I knew now, I wouldn't have to go to Bible college.... :)

Seriously, I am glad I went.  I was there during some pretty great years (late 70s, early 80s).  Too naive to know or care much about what was going on behind the scenes.  Met my wife -- she was the best thing I EVER got from Bible college.  Made many good friends.  Survived the stupid, but had the benefit of a preacher dad back home who kept me grounded.  I probably needed the boot camp atmosphere -- taught me that you can do what you thought you couldn't. 

And the best part -- after surviving that, everything since has seemed pretty easy.  :)

aleshanee said:
after learning about this infamous schaap sermon..... i did some study work on Isaiah 49:2 .... and while i;m no Bible scholar at all..  some of the scholars whose work i researched said the literal meaning of what the king james version translated into "polished shaft"... meant "sharpened" or "selected and favored" ...  in other words ready for use..... the arrow you reach for first when it;s time to kill something....  ....

as a bowhunter and arrow maker myself i know that it;s very dangerous to carry too many arrows with razor sharp broadheads on them at any one time.. (unless you are going to war).. . personally i carry three arrows fitted with razor sharp broadheads when i hunt...all with leather scabbards fitted over the broadheads, for safety, that i remove only when i;m ready to shoot... those are my selected and favored arrows.... sharpened and ready for use... .. i carry them in the front of the quiver where i can grab them without even looking.... the scabbard not only keeps me safe from being cut but it also protects the edge of the arrow head from being damaged or dulled....  .. 

i also carry a few more in the quiver fitted with standard points, and some with no points at all that can be fitted with a broadhead, sharpened, and made ready if needed.. ..  that takes several minutes to do.. .  but it doesn;t involve anything like what jack schaap was doing.. and neither does it take the length of time required to preach a sermon to do it.. ...  in fact.... nothing in the art of arrow making looks like that at all... and i don;t know how he could have gotten it from isaiah 49:2..... ...  in my opinion, in isaiah 49:2, isaiah was saying that God had made him one His select and sharpened arrows... and had placed him in His quiver where he would safe from damage and could be quickly accessed....

i never heard the whole sermon... and after what i saw i don;t really want to...  but i think jack schaap missed the point isaiah was making entirely.. .. ..  and now i wonder what else he missed the point on, and what he led the church and college to miss points on, over the years, as well... .. ..  :-\. ...... oh well.. ..  guess i;ll have to call them and tell them tear up my application.. ..  i won;t be arriving at the train station after all... ;)...

I heard that sermon a long time ago...Schaap preached it multiple times over the years. The point of the sermon is that God is going to take you (the young preacher-boy or HAC prospect) and polish all the rough edges off of you. God is going to make you the perfect man of God, etc., but the process is going to be painful.

It is a terrible sermon because Schaap has absolutely no regard for proper Hermaneutics. I'm not looking at it right now, but I believe Isaiah 49 is a Messianic prophecy, and can only be applied to Christ. Schaap takes a text that says wonderful things about the Savior, and makes all about the super Man of God. (Revealing the heart of the problem with HAC theology)

Frag said:
4everfsu said:
How many of you would attend it if you had to do it all over again?

If I knew what I knew now, I wouldn't have to go to Bible college.... :)

Seriously, I am glad I went.  I was there during some pretty great years (late 70s, early 80s).  Too naive to know or care much about what was going on behind the scenes.  Met my wife -- she was the best thing I EVER got from Bible college.  Made many good friends.  Survived the stupid, but had the benefit of a preacher dad back home who kept me grounded.   I probably needed the boot camp atmosphere -- taught me that you can do what you thought you couldn't. 

And the best part -- after surviving that, everything since has seemed pretty easy.  :)

You stayed grounded?  You must've been a really bad young person. lol

Actually, I agree with your whole post.  I wish a few things had been different, such as, I would have preferred a different major, but it's likely, given the same choices, I'd probably still have gone.