Time to move?

FundNoMore

Elect
Reaction score
I am posting in the fighting forum as most of my contributions have been here, but I am looking for some honest counsel.

In 1984 I moved to a new state to take a job. I did not know anyone in the area, but found a church started by a friend that was not too far away. For 8 years I was very happy, satisfied and felt I had found my place of service to the Lord. The job had grown to be great and paid well and the church was growing at a rate I had never seen before. I even "put out a fleece" to see if I was where I was supposed to be and He answered. After the 8th year, things started going awry in the church, primarily because of the influence of a mannagawd that was big in the IFB movement. It was a nonstop downward spiral and you were forced to "choose a side", but also my job was taking a negative direction during this same time. We waited for 2 years and God opened the door for us to return "home" to be with our family and for me to start another position.

28 years later, there is now a strong indication that my job is heading in a negative direction which started in the last month. Though I am old enough to retire, I am not financially or mentally ready to stop working. Last week, to add to this, there was a major change at our "home church" that came out of nowhere and we may be leaving this congregation.

I am struggling with a number of things right now, but the similarity of what is happening now to what happened years ago cannot be ignored. I know if God wants me to move, there is nothing I can do to stop it, but I honestly do not want to. I am happy to be back home again and around members of my family and I have really enjoyed the singular job that I have held this whole time. I have no idea where I would go or what I would do.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Thank you.

I understand not wanting to go into detail but what you are relaying is quite vague.

It sounds like you've been connected and, presumably, in the Word for at least the better part of 40 years. That's gotta count for something. Your knowledge and priorities ought to be well established. Are there nearby churches that while different, are in alignment with what you know to be true? Are you connected to godly peers who have stood the test of time and been proven faithful?

My job recently went through some changes and I decided I needed to move on but every door I tried to go through ended up being shut. Finally, the situation at my job seems to resolved itself and now I'm content to remain put. For now.

I too, am close to retirement but for me and my wife's sake I need to work until both of us are eligible for Medicare. It is our plan to retire asap and avail ourselves to whatever ministery opportunities come up. We aren't sitting idle in the meantime; we're both active in our church and in a para-church organization. We're actually being trained by our involvement now which will make transitioning to full time ministry possible. My current job has been flexible enough to allow such which is probably why attempts to change have failed.

I don't know if that's answered your questions but I hope it's given you a bit to chew on.

I'd be happy to talk with you in a non-public set up... let me know. I'm not saying I have answers but sometimes it helps to have a sounding board.

Praying for you....I know that situation. The jobs where my wife and I were 23 years ago went South, LITERALLY, to Mexicalli Mexico. We only got a few weeks notice. I had to file for disability, and my wife took a job with Dell. My wife is close to retirement (one or two years away) and we'd like to move back home to the Augusta, Georgia area. But, for the time being she's looking at extending all the way until she's 70 before retiring, and I'm looking at possibly starting another career though disabled.

I would say from reading your post unless the pastor has run off with someone stay and get involved. I retired early but I'm still working. Just my thoughts...

I am posting in the fighting forum as most of my contributions have been here, but I am looking for some honest counsel.

In 1984 I moved to a new state to take a job. I did not know anyone in the area, but found a church started by a friend that was not too far away. For 8 years I was very happy, satisfied and felt I had found my place of service to the Lord. The job had grown to be great and paid well and the church was growing at a rate I had never seen before. I even "put out a fleece" to see if I was where I was supposed to be and He answered. After the 8th year, things started going awry in the church, primarily because of the influence of a mannagawd that was big in the IFB movement. It was a nonstop downward spiral and you were forced to "choose a side", but also my job was taking a negative direction during this same time. We waited for 2 years and God opened the door for us to return "home" to be with our family and for me to start another position.

28 years later, there is now a strong indication that my job is heading in a negative direction which started in the last month. Though I am old enough to retire, I am not financially or mentally ready to stop working. Last week, to add to this, there was a major change at our "home church" that came out of nowhere and we may be leaving this congregation.

I am struggling with a number of things right now, but the similarity of what is happening now to what happened years ago cannot be ignored. I know if God wants me to move, there is nothing I can do to stop it, but I honestly do not want to. I am happy to be back home again and around members of my family and I have really enjoyed the singular job that I have held this whole time. I have no idea where I would go or what I would do.

Thank you.
I, like you, am in the Midwest close to St. Louis. Six years ago I took a job with a parachurch ministry thinking I'd hang around for a couple of years and then retire. Then a number of events in quick succession happened at my job and now I am in no position to retire (most of it being mentally ready) since the end result of all those events is that I am now the director of the ministry and I cannot leave in good conscience.
So I sympathize with your dilemma, but I don't know what counsel to give you other than to trust that God's got your back, and if they slam the door God has a way of opening another window.

My advice is to pray, pray, and pray. ;)

Thank you.
During my morning prayers I borrowed a prayer from Solomons playbook. I always pray for wisdom.
Wisdom with people, problem solving, healthcare, finances and His infinite will. Have your heart open to opportunities that Adonai might provide. There may be some speed bumps in the road. But trust me Adonai and Yeshua will take care of you.
Baruch Hashem Adonai
Shalom and Blessings in Yeshua

During my morning prayers I borrowed a prayer from Solomons playbook. I always pray for wisdom.
Wisdom with people, problem solving, healthcare, finances and His infinite will. Have your heart open to opportunities that Adonai might provide. There may be some speed bumps in the road. But trust me Adonai and Yeshua will take care of you.
Baruch Hashem Adonai
Shalom and Blessings in Yeshua
Just don't borrow anything from his playbook on marital relationships. He makes Schaap look like a rank amateur.

Just don't borrow anything from his playbook on marital relationships. He makes Schaap look like a rank amateur.
We are not talking marital relationships. We are talking about Wisdom. I always ask Adonai for the Wisdom of Solomon for life's issues.

We are not talking marital relationships. We are talking about Wisdom. I always ask Adonai for the Wisdom of Solomon for life's issues.
I've always wondered about Solomon's "wisdom". Ok...he had WORLDLY wisdom but not much moral wisdom. In fact, his many wives lured him away from the Lord.

I've always wondered about Solomon's "wisdom". Ok...he had WORLDLY wisdom but not much moral wisdom. In fact, his many wives lured him away from the Lord.
That is correct. But Adonai made him the wealthiest man in the ancient world, because Solomon asked for wisdom instead of riches. Adonai has done the same for me. Adonai has blessed me beyond I could ever imagine.

That is correct. But Adonai made him the wealthiest man in the ancient world, because Solomon asked for wisdom instead of riches. Adonai has done the same for me. Adonai has blessed me beyond I could ever imagine.
Oh... So you're into Kenneth Copeland too...

Oh... So you're into Kenneth Copeland too...
No I despise prosperity preachers like I do IFB preachers. They are all phony and corrupt. You want to eliminate the national debt remove the tax exempt status on churches on tax them as normal businesses.
Too many of these churches take advantage of their tax exempt status to own corporate jets, and several luxury properties and super expensive cars.

But a greater than Solomon has come, perhaps asking that His mind be in you would be a better prayer.

That won't make you much money, though. :unsure:

And we don't need to judaize the jargon. "The Lord" and "Jesus" will do. The demons are subject to the name regardless of the pronunciation.

But a greater than Solomon has come, perhaps asking that His mind be in you would be a better prayer.

That won't make you much money, though. :unsure:

And we don't need to judaize the jargon. "The Lord" and "Jesus" will do. The demons are subject to the name regardless of the pronunciation.
Our 2nd home is in the penthouse on the 22 floor at the Hilton Hotel in Myrtle Beach

Attachments

• 20230516_063309.jpg
    20230516_063309.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0