Tithing

Techmedic

Elect
Reaction score
So I have read up on this and it seems (especially in the Hyles group) that the focus a bunch on it. Now I'm all for giving to the church, but since reading the bible in the new testament it only says minimal about it (1Cor 16:2).
Here is where I have some issues:
1. When you make the money you are supposed to tithe on it, however if you sell something you are supposed to tithe on that as well... Well since you already tithed on the money when you made it to buy the item, why should you have to tithe on it when you sell said item?
2. Time, most don't take into consideration time is a valuable asset and putting in time is a huge deal.
3. Where does the 10% figure come from... If you ask most they will point to any of these Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5, now this is where hypocrisy rises... If it's something in the old testament that they are defending, we will use the anti-gay passage they will swear by it, however if it is something that nobody agrees with like Deuteronomy 22:28-29 then it's old testament and don't apply.

Please enlighten me... I can be wrong it's been known to happen a time or two, but this is my 2 pennies on this subject.

Here is a well researched book on Biblical giving.

"What is tithing? Is it 10% of gross income due to the church? Or was it only food from inside HOLY Israel in the Old Testament. Is tithing for today? Or are there better giving principles given to the church after Calvary with the Holy Spirit's blessings? This book tackles both the biblical and theological idea of tithing throughout the ages. Although it is exhaustive, the subject itself is exhaustive and cannot be fairly handled in any other way."

It may frost the pumpkins of some IFBs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0982621574/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have found that, on the FFF, if one speaks in favor of tithing, someone else is bound to give them a red!

That being said, I believe that tithing (and offerings in general) is a heart matter between the giver and God.   

As for myself, I like to tithe, but I have my own ideas on what that means.  I tithe on my gross employment income and also from the gross pension I receive from my deceased husband's employment.  (I do this quite purposefully, because God caused my husband to give this benefit to me...a long but true story).  I also tithe on my investments, but only on the "profit" portion...what I have left after I pay debt service, upkeep, taxes, and the like.  In short, I tithe on what actually comes into my pocket, after expenses, from my investments.  I do some volunteer work for the church as well, but I don't calculate the value of that.  I'll leave that up to God, Himself.

In your example of tithing on the sale of something you bought with post-tithe funds, l personally wouldn't tithe on that unless I made a profit on the sale.  Sort of the same thing as I stated about my tithing practice on investments.

Tithing with time...I actually agree with the idea of tithing with time.  Some people cannot give money to the church, but they can volunteer.  That does have value, because it saves the church money.  For example, I can tithe money to cover the bill to hire a plumber to fix a leaky toilet, or I can do the work myself and "tithe" my labor.  Either way, the church benefits. 

Another valuable way to "tithe" is to be the person who "ministers to the needy"...the person who is quick to provide a meal/clothing/school supplies, etc. in the name of the church to people who need some extra love.

There are all sorts of ways that volunteering time/services either saves the church money, which is just the same as cash in the bank, or more importantly, shows the love of Christ to the community. 

In the case of "ministering", I believe that's the picture of Matt 25:40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.  Treasures are laid up in Heaven for those of us who minister to the "least".  I believe that these are the most valuable of all the different sorts of "tithes".  Who sees the love of Christ in me if I pay to/fix the toilet...but who sees the love of Christ in me if I bring them a meal when they are starving? 

I don't believe you will get any agreement from the FFF regarding tithes and offerings.  Honestly, it's a personal matter between you and our Lord!  My personal belief is that "tithing" can be done in so many different ways, that each of us could do something, if we simply opened our hearts and our eyes.  Oh...and I'm not stuck on a strict 10%, either.  I've been redded before simply because I think of all offerings as "tithes", 10% or not. 

I believe in 2Cor 9:7  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

And if this post earns me a red, well, God's will be done! 

lnf said:
I have found that, on the FFF, if one speaks in favor of tithing, someone else is bound to give them a red!

That being said, I believe that tithing (and offerings in general) is a heart matter between the giver and God.   

As for myself, I like to tithe, but I have my own ideas on what that means.  I tithe on my gross employment income and also from the gross pension I receive from my deceased husband's employment.  (I do this quite purposefully, because God caused my husband to give this benefit to me...a long but true story).  I also tithe on my investments, but only on the "profit" portion...what I have left after I pay debt service, upkeep, taxes, and the like.  In short, I tithe on what actually comes into my pocket, after expenses, from my investments.  I do some volunteer work for the church as well, but I don't calculate the value of that.  I'll leave that up to God, Himself.

In your example of tithing on the sale of something you bought with post-tithe funds, l personally wouldn't tithe on that unless I made a profit on the sale.  Sort of the same thing as I stated about my tithing practice on investments.

Tithing with time...I actually agree with the idea of tithing with time.  Some people cannot give money to the church, but they can volunteer.  That does have value, because it saves the church money.  For example, I can tithe money to cover the bill to hire a plumber to fix a leaky toilet, or I can do the work myself and "tithe" my labor.  Either way, the church benefits. 

Another valuable way to "tithe" is to be the person who "ministers to the needy"...the person who is quick to provide a meal/clothing/school supplies, etc. in the name of the church to people who need some extra love.

There are all sorts of ways that volunteering time/services either saves the church money, which is just the same as cash in the bank, or more importantly, shows the love of Christ to the community. 

In the case of "ministering", I believe that's the picture of Matt 25:40  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.  Treasures are laid up in Heaven for those of us who minister to the "least".  I believe that these are the most valuable of all the different sorts of "tithes".  Who sees the love of Christ in me if I pay to/fix the toilet...but who sees the love of Christ in me if I bring them a meal when they are starving? 

I don't believe you will get any agreement from the FFF regarding tithes and offerings.  Honestly, it's a personal matter between you and our Lord!  My personal belief is that "tithing" can be done in so many different ways, that each of us could do something, if we simply opened our hearts and our eyes.  Oh...and I'm not stuck on a strict 10%, either.  I've been redded before simply because I think of all offerings as "tithes", 10% or not. 

I believe in 2Cor 9:7  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

And if this post earns me a red, well, God's will be done!
You dont "tithe",  you "give".

Techmedic said:
So I have read up on this and it seems (especially in the Hyles group) that the focus a bunch on it. Now I'm all for giving to the church, but since reading the bible in the new testament it only says minimal about it (1Cor 16:2).
Here is where I have some issues:
1. When you make the money you are supposed to tithe on it, however if you sell something you are supposed to tithe on that as well... Well since you already tithed on the money when you made it to buy the item, why should you have to tithe on it when you sell said item?
2. Time, most don't take into consideration time is a valuable asset and putting in time is a huge deal.
3. Where does the 10% figure come from... If you ask most they will point to any of these Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5, now this is where hypocrisy rises... If it's something in the old testament that they are defending, we will use the anti-gay passage they will swear by it, however if it is something that nobody agrees with like Deuteronomy 22:28-29 then it's old testament and don't apply.

Please enlighten me... I can be wrong it's been known to happen a time or two, but this is my 2 pennies on this subject.
Give as you purpose in your heart.

That simple.

Any teaching to the contrary is heresy.

prophet, I see what you are saying.  I need to correct my language.

God saved me when I was young; I was in church before I started working.

I've always given at least 10% of my gross income (what is called, in shorthand, "tithing").  It always made sense to give off the gross, as I could affect my net income by changing withholding and other things.

Later in life, I became involved with a Hyles-type church, and was rather amazed at some of the teachings regarding tithing:

- that man who doesn't tithe is under God's curse; God will make things wear out and break down and cause accidents to get His tithe ("God will get His tithe, one way or another").  In my opinion, this teaching makes God out to be rather petty

- that everyone should tithe off of gifts and presents; that is, if you are given a car, you need to discover its worth and give 10% of that. In my opinion, this is just silly and shows an obsession with rules and laws.

- that everyone should tithe on any increase.  Clearly, this isn't right.  Inheritance was never tithed on that I can tell. If everyone gave away 10% of inherited land, there would be little left after a while.  I don't believe that one should "tithe" off of social security, since the government is (poorly) paying one back for money that they forcibly took away from the worker.

What is this obsession with putting money in a bucket?

Are we all widows in the Temple on Saturday?

I love the online giving function on our church website!

FSSL said:

So, you have tamed the obsession to put your money in a bucket!
Good for you!  :D

Tarheel Baptist said:
FSSL said:

Yes! Those carnal money collectors never come up to the media booth to get my tithes.

FSSL said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
FSSL said:

Yes! Those carnal money collectors never come up to the media booth to get my tithes.
You could always fashion a scourge, and run them off.

8)

I, like almost all of you, have heard from my youth the verses from Malachi about robbing God etc. A close look will reveal that these were not the average church (temple) attender who was guilty of robbing, it was the priests who were doing the robbing. (church officials possibly)

Someone please explain to me how all of the farmers in Israel could possibly bring 10% of their harvest to a single temple in Jerusalem. Logisitics tell me it is not possible and the temple, in my opinion, was never large enough to hold all of what people tithed. (I think I know the answer)

BALAAM said:
Someone please explain to me how all of the farmers in Israel could possibly bring 10% of their harvest to a single temple in Jerusalem. Logisitics tell me it is not possible and the temple, in my opinion, was never large enough to hold all of what people tithed. (I think I know the answer)

According to Numbers, the tithe goes to the Levites.  I didn't look it up, but if I remember correctly, not all Levites were based in Jerusalem, so not all tithes would have been taken there. 

And...

In a cursory review of Deuteronomy, it appears that the tithe was to be taken to an "appointed place", where it looks like a great feast in the name of God was to be held.  Along with the entire household, strangers, widows, fatherless, and Levites were to partake.  If the tithes couldn't be carried to the appointed place, it could be converted into money to purchase the "vittles". 

And a tithe of the tithe is to go to the Levites, to be taken into the storehouse, according to Nehemiah.

I certainly could be reading it wrong, but it looks like tithes, in their entirety, were not taken solely into the temple at Jerusalem.   

lnf said:
BALAAM said:

According to Numbers, the tithe goes to the Levites.  I didn't look it up, but if I remember correctly, not all Levites were based in Jerusalem, so not all tithes would have been taken there. 

And...

In a cursory review of Deuteronomy, it appears that the tithe was to be taken to an "appointed place", where it looks like a great feast in the name of God was to be held.  Along with the entire household, strangers, widows, fatherless, and Levites were to partake.  If the tithes couldn't be carried to the appointed place, it could be converted into money to purchase the "vittles". 

And a tithe of the tithe is to go to the Levites, to be taken into the storehouse, according to Nehemiah.

I certainly could be reading it wrong, but it looks like tithes, in their entirety, were not taken solely into the temple at Jerusalem. 

Bingo!! Kind of blows the 'bring all the tithes into the storehouse' meaning the nt church out of the water.