Titles vs Man of God

FundNoMore

Elect
Reaction score
In I Kings 13 we find the telling of two prophets. The messenger was told by God to deliver His message and then to leave, neither eating or drinking and go a different direction than he had arrived. Throughout the tale, the messenger prophet is referred to as "the man of God". After he had delivered the message from God the man of God left as he was told, but another prophet had heard of the visit and intercepted the man of God, convincing him to go to his house and have something to eat and drink. Even though the prophet lied to the man of God, the man of God was judged for disobeying His directives. I had read this account many times, but recently it hit me that both of these men held the title of "prophet", but God recorded only one of them as being a man of God, the other only referred to as a prophet. Something we can all take from this is that just because someone has a title (prophet, priest, pastor, evangelist, missionary, etc.) does not mean they are a man of God. Listen to the Holy Spirit always.

I cringe whenever I hear someone refer to himself as a MOG.

I cringe whenever I hear someone refer to himself as a MOG.

Yes!

I abhor that title.

If I recall correctly, it's only used once in the New Testament in 2 Tim 3:16, where it does NOT refer to the pastor. In fact, "man" there is the word for "mankind" - a modern expression would be "...that the people of God may be..."

I did once hear a message from that passage in which the IFB speaker went down the Catholic road to say that the Scripture was for the pastor; the people should be following and obeying their pastor. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I did once hear a message from that passage in which the IFB speaker went down the Catholic road to say that the Scripture was for the pastor; the people should be following and obeying their pastor. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

SOoooo many MOGs go down that Catholic path. I had a guy tell me that Heb 13:17 means that the MOG will give an account to God of my Christianity to determine if I should be allowed into heaven or not. When I laughed at him and called a meeting of the deacons to decry him as a heretic, he told my wife that she should cast her lot with him for God would kill me in the next three months. That was 5 years ago.