To Die Is Gain -- The Passing of S. Milford Biddle

PappaBear

Elect
Reaction score
Philippians 1:21  For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
http://www.milfordbiddle.com/

It was my privilege and a blessing to be in the final camp meeting this week with Bro. Milford Biddle.  I had been scheduled to leave Wednesday morning, but was unexpectedly delayed.  It was the LORD's timing.  If I had left, I would have missed the Wednesday evening service where Bro. Biddle preached his last message before passing through heaven's gates to glory.  He had a strange feeling earlier in the day, and had checked his sugar and blood pressure, which was normal.  He felt better later in the afternoon, and so preached that evening.  Following the service, he went to bed, and then went beyond. 

His sermon text was Philippians 1:15-17, after having read/quoted the entire first chapter of Philippians.  It is fitting that the verse he normally signed in Bibles was Philippians 1:21.  I have had immense respect for this man since I heard him speak at a doctrines conference in West Virginia about a dozen years ago.  We had met before then, at another camp meeting in the same place we had been this week. His wife was a tremendous encouragement and help to mine.  His white hair and slender bearing was impressive, but nothing compared to his command of the scriptures while preaching. 

He pastored the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church in Chattanooga, TN for some 29+ years.  There he was a faithful servant with his wife, Mrs. Martha Biddle.  An amazing man, he was dedicated to the memorization of the Bible and peppered his messages with scripture quotes, applications and illustrations. 

Earlier that morning I had a brief word with him.  I asked him particularly about his schedule while pastoring.  After answering my question, he unusually launched into a 10 minute testimony about the importance of his wife to his pastoral ministry, and how she had been a tremendous personal soul winner, even more gifted than he was.

That night, again it was unusual because he took about 10 minutes before he got into his actual message.  He spoke about his early ministry, how he met his wife, and some wise and direct counsel for preachers.  He even said that he was not sure why he was prompted to say such things, that it was not something he told many people.  Then he preached a great message on "The Defense of the Gospel."  My young son was so impressed that he had Dr. Biddle sign his Bible. 

I did not learn of his passing until the next day when I was nearly home.  Apparently, the pastor went to wake him Thursday morning and found him passed on to Glory.  I shall miss him on this side of that gate, though I know he had a desire to depart.  He always had time for me, and gave me good answers to my many questions about practical pastoral ministry.  The trail ahead is better marked by this Christian soldier who has gone down the road before us.

Absent from the body....present with the Lord.  I love hearing of servants of the Lord who are faithful to the end.