To What is Jesus Referring Here?

Citadel of Truth

Elect
Reaction score
"And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." Mt 15:9

I have heard the accusation many times that preachers, especially in the IFB realm, are "teaching as doctrine the commandment of men." What do you think this means? Does it means they are requiring extra-biblical standards? Does it refer to decisions such as having a Sunday school? A bus ministry? A Sunday evening service?

Citadel of Truth said:
"And in vain they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men." Mt 15:9

I have heard the accusation many times that preachers, especially in the IFB realm, are "teaching as doctrine the commandment of men." What do you think this means? Does it means they are requiring extra-biblical standards? Does it refer to decisions such as having a Sunday school? A bus ministry? A Sunday evening service?

Sorry, it has nothing to do with the IFB.

Taken in context, the passage is dealing with what we see today, as an example, as Roman Catholicism.  In Jesus' day, it was the Pharisee's.

Twisted said:
Citadel of Truth said:

Taken in context, the passage is dealing with what we see today, as an example, as Roman Catholicism.  In Jesus' day, it was the Pharisee's.

I understand the context of this passage and agree that Jesus was referring to the Pharisees' practice of putting man-made requirements on the people. That being said, Phariseeism is still alive and well in our day.

My question is, when people level this accusation at (primarily) IFB pastors, are they saying they think they are too strict? Are they saying they are legalists?

Let me give you a recent example: I personally heard this passage alluded to when it was mentioned that a preacher should wear a suit and tie while he preaches. A lady (rather out-spoken) said, "That is a doctrine of men!" Agree or disagree, that is how this passage is being applied nowadays.

Twisted said:
Citadel of Truth said:

The commandments of men are not supplements or applications of God's commandments but in practice take the place of God's commandments.  There is nothing in scripture that condemns Sunday School, bus ministry or Sunday evening service (the book of Acts does mention a service going into the twilight hours).  The whole point of a bus ministry is providing a means of transportation for those who don't have one and don't live close by - many churches have them not just IFB or other Baptists.

Citadel of Truth said:
Twisted said:
Citadel of Truth said:

I understand the context of this passage and agree that Jesus was referring to the Pharisees' practice of putting man-made requirements on the people. That being said, Phariseeism is still alive and well in our day.

My question is, when people level this accusation at (primarily) IFB pastors, are they saying they think they are too strict? Are they saying they are legalists?

Let me give you a recent example: I personally heard this passage alluded to when it was mentioned that a preacher should wear a suit and tie while he preaches. A lady (rather out-spoken) said, "That is a doctrine of men!" Agree or disagree, that is how this passage is being applied nowadays.

I'll agree that ignorance abounds.

No doubt there are some that would say what one wears is "doctrine", but most would consider it a preference, based on location.  No pastor wear a suit in the Philipines (there might be an exception).  They have their own style of dress.  Same with Africans.  (Although I must confess to not understanding the current trend to dress "down" to street clothes to be "better".)

Now what a church requires its staff/teachers/ushers to wear is a matter that is different. 

Most all this is carnal and fleshly and built on rebellion.  It also reflects on how less influential the local church is today as compared to 50 years ago.  The age will end in apostasy and this is part of it.

Twisted said:
Most all this is carnal and fleshly and built on rebellion.  It also reflects on how less influential the local church is today as compared to 50 years ago.  The age will end in apostasy and this is part of it.
I think that sums it up nicely.

Twisted said:
Citadel of Truth said:
Twisted said:
Citadel of Truth said:

I'll agree that ignorance abounds.

No doubt there are some that would say what one wears is "doctrine", but most would consider it a preference, based on location.  No pastor wear a suit in the Philipines (there might be an exception).  They have their own style of dress.  Same with Africans.  (Although I must confess to not understanding the current trend to dress "down" to street clothes to be "better".)

Now what a church requires its staff/teachers/ushers to wear is a matter that is different. 

Last paragraph...spot on.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk