Tom Brennan - tell me about him

theneedtounderstand

Elect
Reaction score
Good morning all

What sort of preacher and man is Tom Brennan from Maplewood Baptist Church in Chicago?

I am thinking about relocating to that area and to trust your family to a  new preacher is an awesome responsibility that takes much soul searching, prayer and fact-finding...

This is not intended to be some sort of witch hunt... but I would like all perspectives... factual, first hand experiences. Please, no gossip, or "my wifes, moms, first cousins coworkers cats prior owner once heard...."

Thanks in advance for your anonymous counsel.

theneedtounderstand said:
What sort of preacher and man is Tom Brennan from Maplewood Baptist Church in Chicago? 

The two-legged kind.

I don't know him personally, but from reading what he's written over awhile, I'd say he's a fairly balanced IFB preacher, who leans towards the more conservative side of things.

Have you checked out his Facebook profile?

If you are looking for an IFB church and pastor, I would recommend that church and pastor without reservation. I have had the pleasure of knowing Tom for over 25 years, from a fellow dorm student to Pastor, I have always found him to be nothing but genuine.  When I come across Psalms 16:6 he will often come to mind; he definitely fits the bill of having a "goodly heritage" and lives the life that is honoring and striving to continue in that fashion.

Even among those on this forum that do not see eye to eye, Tom has always behaved respectfully and Christlike. I understand why he no longer visits here, but his insight and temperament is missed.

He posts regularly at his blog: http://concerningjesus.blogspot.com/?m=1

and has written two books that I have read and found personally helpful.

I have been removed from IFBdom for over a decade, but consider Tom one of its more honorable and trustworthy members.

Thank you for the responses... "the two legged kind".... I love it!

I have read his blog, listened to sermons online, even listened to a class that he gave to a highschool group about why people leave the IFB movement or church altogether.

I am in the middle of reading Schizophrenic and I think it shows his heart. I have heard him preach twice in person.

I am looking for more of a personal level. I feel like after reading Schizophrenia (almost through it) that I like his views on some things... but a pastor is more than the sum of his doctrine and sermons.

I get the impression he is respected by both those who agree and those who don't agree. I also get the impression that he is well read and well studied. I also get the impression that he doesn't "read a verse and scream" for an hour... instead staying with the context and intent of the passage of scripture....

But.... what you cannot get from reading his edited books, or even listening to sermons... is what kind of MAN is he? Is he personable? Is he involved with his people? Can you be his friend? Does he keep a distance from his people in order to be objective? Does he view the pastorate as a job? Or a lifestyle? Does his family involve themselves in the church to the point where it feels like "family"? Or is it more of a "corporate" feel, for a lack of a better way to describe it.

I hope I am making sense... yes. Doctrinal position is important... but so are the "intangibles" if you are going to put yourself under someone's leadership for what could be decades...

Thanks again!

I have read his blog, listened to sermons online, even listened to a class that he gave to a highschool group about why people leave the IFB movement or church altogether.

I am in the middle of reading Schizophrenic and I think it shows his heart. I have heard him preach twice in person.

I am looking for more of a personal level. I feel like after reading Schizophrenia (almost through it) that I like his views on some things... but a pastor is more than the sum of his doctrine and sermons.

I get the impression he is respected by both those who agree and those who don't agree. I also get the impression that he is well read and well studied. I also get the impression that he doesn't "read a verse and scream" for an hour... instead staying with the context and intent of the passage of scripture....

But.... what you cannot get from reading his edited books, or even listening to sermons... is what kind of MAN is he? Is he personable? Is he involved with his people? Can you be his friend? Does he keep a distance from his people in order to be objective? Does he view the pastorate as a job? Or a lifestyle? Does his family involve themselves in the church to the point where it feels like "family"? Or is it more of a "corporate" feel, for a lack of a better way to describe it.

I hope I am making sense... yes. Doctrinal position is important... but so are the "intangibles" if you are going to put yourself under someone's leadership for what could be decades...

Thanks again!

Wow....what kind of "research" did you do on the church you now attend?

From your questions, I would be leary of having you as a member of my church.

I am not sure why my questions are so controversial... I think they are reasonable.

What kind of research? What kind of research can you do when you are 6 years old?

Growing up, my pastor was a good doctrinal preacher, but was also a great pastor. He was friendly. He cared. He was sincere.

Fast forward 20 years. He left to go to another city to be by family in his golden years.

We voted in a new pastor who was also very sound doctrinally.... but he and his staff that he hired were very superficial on the surface. Policy of never having people to their homes. Meetings with them were very impersonal.. if they met with you at all. I can go on, but I dont think it is prudent to "bash" someone.

I was not part of the pulpit committee, and everything looked very promising and shiny on the outside... but as time went on, the true nature of the staff became apparent, and the church, as it will, evolved to reflect the leadership.

Again, I am not here to lambaste anyone.. but if I am going to find a new church, the pastor's relationship to his church is almost as important as his doctrinal stand.

Maybe instead of being offended, offer some help....

Thanks

[/quote]

I would attend Tom church if I lived in the area. He loves his church and his family. Go and see if its the church for you. I have known Tom for many years on this forum. He loves God and believes and lives what he preaches. Many blessings to you and your family!!

It seems the next step is to visit the church, talk with him personally, observe the congregation. If you do nice to the area, there will be time for that as well as comparing churches.

Thanks again!

While I don?t agree with Tom at all when it comes to ministry methodology, I believe he would be an excellent Pastor for you and your family. He is a reasonable man of conviction, of which there are few in existence today.

Twisted said:

Thanks again!

I would be leary of having Twisted as a member of my church...or to give me advice about anything other than which obscure blogger to read or watch.

Tarheel Baptist said:
I would be leary of having Twisted as a member of my church...

You need not worry, my friend.  LOL!

Thanks again!
I have had Bro. Brennan preach for me several times and he is a gem.
From viewing his posts on Facebook it seems as if he really loves his people, he's not given to making quick decisions, level headed, and most important, he loves God very much.
He's the genuine real deal. 
But that beard, that's something else!  :p

...but I would be leery as well, if someone views the potential of friendship with the pastor and the ability to  feel like a part of his family as a determining factor of whether to join a church?

Pastor worship was a hard habit to break after all my FBC Hammond years.

brainisengaged said:
...but I would be leery as well, if someone views the potential of friendship with the pastor and the ability to  feel like a part of his family as a determining factor of whether to join a church?

Pastor worship was a hard habit to break after all my FBC Hammond years.

Pastor/Preacher worship is one of the things I am leaving behind. Believe me, that is NOT what I am looking for. The leadership type I am trying to avoid is the Hyles Anderson/FBC Hammond types...  the church I am leaving behind basically checks off every box in Tom's book about what an IFB should NOT be....

It is so hard to put into words what I am trying to get across.... I think I have my answer from a number of people who were kind enough to reply....

Other than years of observation on this forum, which like others have said leaves an impeccable footprint for his character, I have a minor knowledge of Tom from years ago and would say from that limited relationship he conducted himself honorably.  And as others have also said, you don't have to join a church right away.  Just make yourself a regular fixture through visitation of all the services and you should have enough data soon enough to answer your own question(s).

Tom has been a cyber brother for a long time.  He went to HAC but did NOT "drink the koolaid".  Just set out to preach the Word, minister to the people and service God.  Good church,  good people and I'd give it a shot as an "old style" IFB church.  (y) (y)

Per his web site concerningjesus.blogspot.com/ as of August 12, Pastor Tom Brennan has resigned his Chicago pastorate due to illness, and is moving to Bible Baptist Church in Dubuque, Iowa.

illinoisguy said:
Per his web site concerningjesus.blogspot.com/ as of August 12, Pastor Tom Brennan has resigned his Chicago pastorate due to illness, and is moving to Bible Baptist Church in Dubuque, Iowa.

Hadn't heard that.

https://concerningjesus.blogspot.com/2019/08/in-providence-of-god.html

I am not sure why my questions are so controversial... I think they are reasonable.

We voted in a new pastor who was also very sound doctrinally.... but he and his staff that he hired were very superficial on the surface. Policy of never having people to their homes. Meetings with them were very impersonal.. if they met with you at all. I can go on, but I dont think it is prudent to "bash" someone.

I was not part of the pulpit committee, and everything looked very promising and shiny on the outside... but as time went on, the true nature of the staff became apparent, and the church, as it will, evolved to reflect the leadership.

Maybe instead of being offended, offer some help....

Thanks

A pastor is supposed to be hospitable; someone who doesn't want to be around the members of the church is sending a red flag. 

But he is in a leadership position, and sometimes there is a necessity of some separation.

It's a hard line to walk, I think.

illinoisguy said:

I'm sorry to hear that; he's a rare man.